Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 AM

21 posts, read 84,051 times

Advertisements

Hello again. Trying to relocate my family out of Tampa Bay Florida by summers end. Had been focusing on Berrien County or the nearby Valdosta area. Husband may have a job opp. in Bacon County, the city of Alma. Anyone with info on the city/county please help fill me in, not able to find out much online. We are a family with three school aged kids, so of course I am concerned about schooling and crime stats. The price of housing is AWESOME in comparison to Tampa Bay. Florida has robbed us dry financially and we are looking for a fresh start.

Thanks for any and all help.

ElMar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
ElMar,

I once lived in the Tampa area (for 14 years) and now live in central Ga.. I have traveled all through the area you are talking about and I must warn you of the culture shock you are in for. I cannot add anything in regards to schools, but be prepared to be remote. Very remote. More remote than you can possibly be in the entire state of Florida. I will add this though, once you get used to it (if you ever do) it is a great way of life. At least to me, any ways. Besides living in Tampa I have lived in Atlanta and the Chicago area so I consider myself a city kind a guy. I now will never move back to a metropolitan area again. Thats how much the simple country life has had an effect on me. Good luck on your move.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 PM

100 posts, read 485,681 times
I have relatives in Colquitt county and Moultrie, that is SW Georgia. Valdosta is about an hour's drive. The previous poster summed it up well. It is very rural: people are generally friendly but you do have a small town mentality to deal with (assuming you have lived in smaller towns). Housing near or in Valdosta and Tifton may be your best bet. Most of your shopping can be done in those "larger sized" SW GA towns.

One very beautiful city in that area is Thomasville which is a comfortable drive from Valdosta but seems more inconvenient for Berrien County. Thomasville has many beautiful old homes and is worth at least a drive through. Thomasville used to the last train stop for passenger service many years ago, so many wealthy people bought retirement homes there long before Florida became popular.

Since are concerned about schools, definitely check out the counties in that area with this website (Georgia Public Policy Foundation) (it covers all of Georgia, and is a must for people with kids and deciding on a decent public school) You can narrow down your search by the rankings of all public schools relative to that area.

Georgia Public Policy Foundation - www.gppf.org (http://www.gppf.org/default.asp?pt=doc&doc=reportcard - broken link)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia