U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 87,237 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Los Angeles and looking to move back to the southeast area (I'm from Florida/North Carolina) with family in Florida and Tennessee. I have a big interview in Americus, GA next week and was curious if anyone here can tell me about living there? I'm single, 30 and will have my own car. The job entails some traveling, but not sure how much. Any information would be appreciated..

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,246,081 times
Question Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson View Post
Hi everyone,

I currently live in Los Angeles and looking to move back to the southeast area (I'm from Florida/North Carolina) with family in Florida and Tennessee. I have a big interview in Americus, GA next week and was curious if anyone here can tell me about living there? I'm single, 30 and will have my own car. The job entails some traveling, but not sure how much. Any information would be appreciated..

Thanks!
What do you know of South Georgia--east or west? I would not put it at the top of list for a single 30 something...
Here's a link>>> (Jimmy Carter's Hometown is in this vicinity--Sumter County)
The Real Georgia (http://www.therealgeorgia.com/index2.html - broken link)

It should be safe and rather laid back. Columbus is maybe an hour's drive to the west and it's probably an hour and a half to Atlanta.

good luck

sls

Old 08-03-2008, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 16,208 times
Default Americus my hometown

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Hi, how are you today? hpe all is good. My name is Charlie, my home town
is Americus, GA. It is a great place to live. I can tell you about it, but you
will have to see it for yourself. Don't worry, you;ll love it. I have family &
friends there. Plus I'll be there soon. Yes, I'm moving back home in 6 weeks. Love to show you around to all the places. Americus is a good life
city. Ask any thing to me about this city.

Charlie

Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 16,208 times
Thumbs up Amerius

Hi , my name is Charlie. I live in Americus for long time. It is nice. Don't
worry about this place. It's good life city. Good people, good food, fun.
And great for kids, yourself. I'm moving back soon. Living in Thailand now,
but in 6 weeks I'll be home in Americus. Have any trouble, let me know.

{moderator cut}: Please do not post personal email addresses in the forum. Use site mail. Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-04-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 AM

84 posts, read 81,582 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Americus is dying on the vine.........seriously.
Walmart and Winn Dixie are the biggest names in town.
The town has never been the same since the tornado blew through last year and destroyed Sumter Hospital!!
Ok for retired folks but barely.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:13 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,686,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialaw View Post
Americus is dying on the vine.........seriously.
Walmart and Winn Dixie are the biggest names in town.
The town has never been the same since the tornado blew through last year and destroyed Sumter Hospital!!
Ok for retired folks but barely.
Well, since the tornado they have built a temporary hospital, totally destroyed the remainder of the old hospital and have begun the new hospital on the very piece of ground the old one was on. Winn Dixie, the last I heard, stopped rebuilding their new store and another chain type store stepped in. Any small city that can build a temporary hospital (complete with several operating rooms and lab) in a year... only for a two year service (while the permanent hospital is being built) is far from dying on the vine. Seriously.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM

913 posts, read 2,721,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Well, since the tornado they have built a temporary hospital, totally destroyed the remainder of the old hospital and have begun the new hospital on the very piece of ground the old one was on. Winn Dixie, the last I heard, stopped rebuilding their new store and another chain type store stepped in. Any small city that can build a temporary hospital (complete with several operating rooms and lab) in a year... only for a two year service (while the permanent hospital is being built) is far from dying on the vine. Seriously.
Exactly! Thank you Bulldawgfan! Love our #1 ranking by the way!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM

10,893 posts, read 10,081,149 times
Both of my parents are from there and alot of cousins uncles aunts etc... still there. I went to college there. Americus is a very quaint small-college town. Some of the "main street" houses are simply beautiful - with the sidewalks down both sides of the streets. I think Americus really took a hit when the tornado came through, but the people there seem to be unsinkable and are really making efforts to replace and rebuild even better! There are some really fine folks around there, and I believe that we are going to see bigger and better things from Americus before long. Of course, my definition of bigger and better may not coincide with some other's idea. Just my opinion. I think Americus is a fine place. My only concern would be how much "night-life" kinda stuff you are interested in. Not a whole lot of that there, but the trade-off is worth it in my opinion. Wish you well!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,718 times
Hi- I am also considering moving to Americus. I was wondering what the area is like politically. I saw that in 2000 and 2004 the separation in vote count for Bush versus Gore and Bush versus Kerry was about 100 votes. Do you feel like the city is roughly divided between Democrats and Republicans? Do people in the area get excited about elections and politics? Also, do you feel like it is a gay-friendly area where people are accepting of each other? I truly appreciate your thoughts.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:32 AM

30 posts, read 91,121 times
I went to college in Americus. Nice town, but older population. I love it though. Cheap to live and everything is close by. You are still close to bigger towns, Albany, Columbus, Macon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or