U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:57 PM

169 posts, read 515,755 times

Advertisements

I am a GA native and have frequented Six Flags many times throughout my life. It used to be an exciting and fun place that my parents allowed me to meander through without any adult supervision as a young teen. I wouldn't let my child go anywhere near this park now, however. It has changed dramatically and the area it is located in is so unsafe I wouldn't feel comfortable there as an adult. It is very sad to me though because I would love to share the excitement and thrills I felt as a child at Six Flags. I saw this story in the paper today and it reminded me how much things have changed. The park is not kept up anymore, dirty and unsafe. I have heard this from many others as well. What a shame.

Cobb police investigate thefts at Six Flags *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 04:23 PM

470 posts, read 863,618 times
I agree that's true to a degree, but there are a lot of things that we did, or places that we went to by ourselves as kids that we wouldn't allow our kids to do in the present day environment. We simply live in a more dangerous, more violent society than what existed in the 60's, 70's, or 80's. I frequented Six Flags several times a season from 1972 until about 1980. During those times, the area around Six Flags was largely rural at the time, and Fulton Industrial was still the premier area for industrial warehousing. The surrounding area is now more urban, not to mention that Fulton Industrial has become an area more known for prostitution than warehousing. Six Flags is simply not going to be as safe as it was during our childhood.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:17 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,285,591 times
While it's never OK to steal, some people put themselves in a position to be a victim. If you're going to Six Flags, don't bring a ton of stuff. Keep all your money and valuables on your person, and don't leave anything in a "storage cubby" and if you have to do so, make sure it locks.

To some extent this reminds me of people who leave valuables in their car, and then when the car is broken into, they want to moan about the "crime problem" in the area. Not being stupid is the first step to preventing crime.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,132,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
To some extent this reminds me of people who leave valuables in their car, and then when the car is broken into, they want to moan about the "crime problem" in the area. Not being stupid is the first step to preventing crime.
The few car break-ins that we've had in our subdivision in southeast Cobb over the past 5 years have been people leaving things like GPS units and such in their UNLOCKED vehicles in areas relatively close to the main road that runs past the entrance.

I mean, our local area is relatively safe, but sometimes common sense has to be used, ya know?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 AM

77 posts, read 198,031 times
So, you two are putting the blame on the people that have stuff to steal? That's a liberal way of thinking. "If you didn't have nice stuff, people wouldnt steal it from you"

Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy View Post
So, you two are putting the blame on the people that have stuff to steal? That's a liberal way of thinking. "If you didn't have nice stuff, people wouldnt steal it from you"
No...I'm saying that if you don't leave a credit card in a cubby, then you won't get it stolen. What's so hard about that? Keep cash and credit cards in your pocket and the problem goes away.

Many times people invite victimhood. I'm just saying there are things we can do to prevent that from happening....common sense things. If you leave a purse in plain sight in your car or your car door unlocked, then yes, in my opinion you deserve to have it stolen or broken into.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 AM

11,319 posts, read 23,132,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy View Post
Nah, I was saying "tempting people by leaving portable electronics in an unlocked car is stupid".

Car doors have locks for a reason. GPS units and other things have carrying cases and such for a reason, and they are portable for a reason.

Use some common sense.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:58 AM

16 posts, read 48,540 times
The discussion is not about leaving items in unlocked cars. It is about people trusting the system placing their items in rented lockers that should be protected by Six Flags and should not be broken into by thieves. There are too many excuses made for the thieves..... "being tempted". Oh, my goodness! Yes, it is smart to be wise about safety concerns but this is different, imo. There are water rides at Six Flags. There are a perfectly legitimate reasons to use a locker for your personal items. Also never does anyone deserved to be robbed!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 PM

30 posts, read 106,654 times
I was at that Six Flags about 7 years ago. We were only teenagers and we went by ourselves. Had no idea the area was that bad. I'm from Illinois and was visiting a friend in the Cumming area, who had no clue about directions so I remember having to figure out the directions myself.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylotw View Post
The discussion is not about leaving items in unlocked cars. It is about people trusting the system placing their items in rented lockers that should be protected by Six Flags and should not be broken into by thieves. There are too many excuses made for the thieves..... "being tempted". Oh, my goodness! Yes, it is smart to be wise about safety concerns but this is different, imo. There are water rides at Six Flags. There are a perfectly legitimate reasons to use a locker for your personal items. Also never does anyone deserved to be robbed!
You are still missing the point. No one said anyone "deserves to be robbed!" What I said (and I perceive others agree with me) is that there are steps you can take to avoid being a victim in the first place. If you don't put cash, credit cards, or other valuables in a locker, then they can't get stolen, now can they? Put your sneakers or other non-valuable items in the lockers, but keep your money and credit cards on you at all times.

The article mentioned people getting credit cards stolen. There is no reason that should happen if you use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia