U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM

469 posts, read 862,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Okay you live in a nice-ish town (Valdosta) but look around you. The rest of South GA is not nearly as nice as you describe it. Driving all the way down into FL to find something to do may appeal to you but to many that's un-appealing.
And great, you've had a few new places of business open, but what about the whole of South GA? Jobs are packing up and leaving.
I'm sure the whole small town thing with little to do appeals to some people. Boring quiet towns where many businesses close after 7 PM has some appeal for some. But I would wager that most people like options, and they like options close to them. Not in Tallahassee or Jacksonville, but within 15-20 minutes.
Personally if you were to move to South GA I would recommend Camden County. That truly is close to Jacksonville (not an hour away but a half an hour) and Fernandina Beach is even closer.
I agree. As a native South Georgian, twenty five year resident of Metro Atlanta, I'd say that Valdosta is basically an oasis. Both Valdosta and Albany are the regional economic centers for the southern parts of the state. With very few exceptions, the surrounding South GA/North FL towns are very lacking in amenities and almost everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 PM

5,882 posts, read 4,359,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I agree. As a native South Georgian, twenty five year resident of Metro Atlanta, I'd say that Valdosta is basically an oasis. Both Valdosta and Albany are the regional economic centers for the southern parts of the state. With very few exceptions, the surrounding South GA/North FL towns are very lacking in amenities and almost everything else.
Thank you. I'm not trying to "bash" South GA or "hate" on it or whatever. I have experiences that many defending South GA don't: being a new comer to the region. I just want to give a full view of the region so people can make an educated decision.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,438,161 times
Quote:
Thank you. I'm not trying to "bash" South GA or "hate" on it or whatever. I have experiences that many defending South GA don't: being a new comer to the region. I just want to give a full view of the region so people can make an educated decision.

There are plenty of areas in the country losing jobs.

I realize its not for everyone, but some people are perfectly happy here. I for one could never live in a city like Atlanta. I think its a neat place, and I like driving through, but the pace is more than I can handle.

Sometimes I feel it would be more convenient to live closer to a large city, but I prefer the slower pace here. Its nice being able to drive completely across town in 15 minutes.

And I agree, Camden county is a nice place. I personally like Glynn county, specifically St Simons Island.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 PM

5,882 posts, read 4,359,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
There are plenty of areas in the country losing jobs.

I realize its not for everyone, but some people are perfectly happy here. I for one could never live in a city like Atlanta. I think its a neat place, and I like driving through, but the pace is more than I can handle.

Sometimes I feel it would be more convenient to live closer to a large city, but I prefer the slower pace here. Its nice being able to drive completely across town in 15 minutes.

And I agree, Camden county is a nice place. I personally like Glynn county, specifically St Simons Island.
Well I guess we just disagree fundamentally on what kind of lifestyles we enjoy. Which is cool, to each his own. Personally for my wife and I we want a bit of a bigger city lifestyle right now. Maybe it's because we're young (early 20's) is why.

South Georgia does offer a slower paced lifestyle and it's very quiet. There's almost no traffic and though the crime rates are rising they aren't nearly as bad as urban settings.

So I guess it depends on your personal preferences.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:04 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,438,161 times
Quote:
]Maybe it's because we're young (early 20's) is why.
I don't think age has anything to do with it. My wife and I are mid 20's.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:33 PM

15 posts, read 35,741 times
I would have to agree with both NorthGabound12 and southgeorgia, each of you brings up some good points. It depends on what crci is looking for. We have lived in Brunswick, ga for a little over 20 years and are ready to move. The school systems are rated among the lowest in the nation, Jobs that pay a decent wage are hard to find.. Burgerking is always hiring. I dont see much in big industry down here and i think it is because of the workforce, this stems from the poor education
people are getting here. I am sure there are good jobs out there, probably in Savannah. The "Good Old Boy Network" prevails, it is hard to get in.
We have a large population of Retirees and people who don't care to work, the later is probably a nationwide problem.
Summers are so hot, the hummidity almost takes your breath away. We have some cold in the winter but they are pleasant for the most part.
Now on the good side, the area is beautiful, esp. the beaches and, yes, even the flat landscape. The people are very nice accepting of others, even Yankees.
I dont know anything about Cairo, not really sure where it is. I have been to Valdosta and it's ok.
Crci, do a lot of research and asking before you invest a bunch of money moving, otherwise Good Luck

Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 AM

372 posts, read 440,311 times
[quote=NorthGAbound12;15389041]And great, you've had a few new places of business open, but what about the whole of South GA? Jobs are packing up and leaving. quote]

I saw the handwriting on the wall and left almost two decades ago. Less than a year later the company I worked for went belly-up. Years after that the area's largest employer closed their doors, too.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:00 PM

606 posts, read 1,793,408 times
Quote:
Okay you live in a nice-ish town (Valdosta) but look around you. The rest of South GA is not nearly as nice as you describe it. Driving all the way down into FL to find something to do may appeal to you but to many that's un-appealing.
And great, you've had a few new places of business open, but what about the whole of South GA? Jobs are packing up and leaving.
I'm sure the whole small town thing with little to do appeals to some people. Boring quiet towns where many businesses close after 7 PM has some appeal for some. But I would wager that most people like options, and they like options close to them. Not in Tallahassee or Jacksonville, but within 15-20 minutes.
Personally if you were to move to South GA I would recommend Camden County. That truly is close to Jacksonville (not an hour away but a half an hour) and Fernandina Beach is even closer.
South GA isn't as bad as you make it out to be. You should visit the GA coast sometime.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
You wouldn't say Savannah is also a regional economic center of South GA ?

Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Well I guess we just disagree fundamentally on what kind of lifestyles we enjoy. Which is cool, to each his own. Personally for my wife and I we want a bit of a bigger city lifestyle right now. Maybe it's because we're young (early 20's) is why.

South Georgia does offer a slower paced lifestyle and it's very quiet. There's almost no traffic and though the crime rates are rising they aren't nearly as bad as urban settings.

So I guess it depends on your personal preferences.
If you love the bigger city lifestyle why do you live in Gainesville, GA ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia