Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstewart3871 View Post
I dont see much in big industry down here and i think it is because of the workforce, this stems from the poor education
people are getting here.
You must not be looking very hard. Brunswick is, for starters, a growing and thriving port city; the new Sidney Lanier Bridge was built to accommodate the increased demand for larger freighters. Add to that the businesses that are ancillary to the port, the pulp mill, Hercules, King and Prince Seafood, and Brunswick's largest employer FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center). Every Federal Law Enforcement official in the country is required to spend time in, and often live in, the Golden Isles area. It is an enormous contribution to the local economy, which has consistently been rated one of the strongest in the state outside of Atlanta over the years.
As far as education goes, I have several family members and friends that have come up through the Glynn County system and have done very well. Several of my friends that have the means to give their kids a private education have opted for Glynn Academy instead (often at the behest of their kids). Our local elementary school (St Simons Elementary) is excellent IMO and rated a Georgia School of Excellence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 03:26 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You must not be looking very hard. Brunswick is, for starters, a growing and thriving port city; the new Sidney Lanier Bridge was built to accommodate the increased demand for larger freighters. Add to that the businesses that are ancillary to the port, the pulp mill, Hercules, King and Prince Seafood, and Brunswick's largest employer FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center). Every Federal Law Enforcement official in the country is required to spend time in, and often live in, the Golden Isles area. It is an enormous contribution to the local economy, which has consistently been rated one of the strongest in the state outside of Atlanta over the years.
As far as education goes, I have several family members and friends that have come up through the Glynn County system and have done very well. Several of my friends that have the means to give their kids a private education have opted for Glynn Academy instead (often at the behest of their kids). Our local elementary school (St Simons Elementary) is excellent IMO and rated a Georgia School of Excellence.
That's just one town. I mean lets be realistic outside of Brunswick and Valdosta South Georgia is not exactly an industrial power. Nor is it built to be, it's primarily a farming area.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Coming from New England? Which part? I hate to over simplify things and make generalizations but I think you are going to experience some culture shock in terms of geography, demographics, customs and convenience. Of course some of this depends on your location in NE. If you are near the Boston area, you are accustomed to loads of cultural events and rail transport. You have serious seasons and access to some lovely areas and in short distances. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi River in terms of land area.

South Georgia is not the bubbaland that many movies reflect but it is a long way from New England in many respects. I assume you have a reason for focusing on Cairo. Like the rest of the country, Georgia is hurting economically. If you are in need of work, it can be very tough but then you might bring some skills or investment that will make your transition a bit easier. But do not think for a moment you are not going to see a very different culture.

There is no typical South Georgia or typical North Georgia. We have 159 counties and the quality of life can vary hugely among them. Taxes can vary from county to county. Don't expect a lot of services in many of these counties. The nearest decent medical center can be a long ride in an ambulance---tough when minutes count. Same with a mall for that matter. One of your big challenges may well be that once you buy or build something, be prepared to be stuck with it. Yep, the real estate market is in big trouble here as well.

You have a lot to consider and investigate. Be wary. Be careful. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:34 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Coming from New England? Which part? I hate to over simplify things and make generalizations but I think you are going to experience some culture shock in terms of geography, demographics, customs and convenience. Of course some of this depends on your location in NE. If you are near the Boston area, you are accustomed to loads of cultural events and rail transport. You have serious seasons and access to some lovely areas and in short distances. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi River in terms of land area.

South Georgia is not the bubbaland that many movies reflect but it is a long way from New England in many respects. I assume you have a reason for focusing on Cairo. Like the rest of the country, Georgia is hurting economically. If you are in need of work, it can be very tough but then you might bring some skills or investment that will make your transition a bit easier. But do not think for a moment you are not going to see a very different culture.

There is no typical South Georgia or typical North Georgia. We have 159 counties and the quality of life can vary hugely among them. Taxes can vary from county to county. Don't expect a lot of services in many of these counties. The nearest decent medical center can be a long ride in an ambulance---tough when minutes count. Same with a mall for that matter. One of your big challenges may well be that once you buy or build something, be prepared to be stuck with it. Yep, the real estate market is in big trouble here as well.

You have a lot to consider and investigate. Be wary. Be careful. Good luck.
Serious seasons in Boston ? I can think of 3 seasons. I don't think Boston really has a summer. I'm sure people up there think 90 is hot . I'm looking at the 7 day forecast for Boston and it shows 60s and 70s for highs. Is that what New Englander's consider summer ? LOL. At least we get 4 seasons in Georgia, with snow in the winter and extreme heat in the summer ( which is nothing to really brag about ). Then in the spring we have tornadoes, sometimes snow, and sometimes beautiful weather.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
At least we get 4 seasons in Georgia, with snow in the winter and extreme heat in the summer . . . . .

Not all of GA gets snow. We had it in Valdosta this year for the first time in probably 15+ years, and it melted as soon as it hit the ground. Some areas just north of us actually saw 1/2" set in; but snow is very much a rarity here. I remember sometime in the late 80's or early 90's being let out of school early because of snow flurries similar to what we saw this year.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 PM

45 posts, read 125,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcj View Post
My family and I are from New England and we are thinking of relocating to Southern Georgia, probably Cairo. I was wondering if people from the area could tell me some things; how are the schools, churches, shopping? What's the weather like? How's the job market? Do many people farm, if so what, crops, animals? Not to be offensive, but is race an issue (we're white) or would we be thought of as "yankees"? And are there any good websites that have photos of the area? Thanks

Gonna be a huge shock. But that's ok, you'll be wiser for it.
Do you know how the city name is pronounced?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM

39 posts, read 146,936 times
I love South Georgia. I grew up in Moultrie and miss it everyday. I have lived in the Metro Atlanta area for 15 years and when I was younger, it wasn't so bad but now that I have kids, I'm moving back. The lifestyle here is so different and I've noticed the kids up here are rude and the parents care more about status than anything else. I live North Gwinnett and the school system is great but huge. I'm moving and putting my kids in private school in Thomasville. I admit, I'll have to get use to not having everything 5 minutes from me but the great family influence down there is what I would like for my kids to grow up in. Land, Friday night football, family activities in town.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:13 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
That's just one town. I mean lets be realistic outside of Brunswick and Valdosta South Georgia is not exactly an industrial power. Nor is it built to be, it's primarily a farming area.
I was responding to another poster's comments regarding Brunswick, not the rest of south GA.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Um, Savannah?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,062 times
For God's sake......avoid Moultrie, GA like the plague. I'm trying so hard to get out of here. It's all I can think about. I get sick at my stomach to think I might spend another year in this *&*( place. Nothing but a town of 2 faced, backstabbing bunch of mean people. There are just a few people that we can call friends....true friends and the day that I leave this place I will truly miss them but I will leave this place and never, ever come back. They claim this town is welcoming of people and the perfect place to raise a family. Don't believe it....not for one second. I know several people that feel the same way. A relative of mine is finally able to leave and I've never felt so envious and left behind as I do now. I'm happy for her and her family but I'm sad because I wish it was me leaving instead. I hate this place so much. And the crime is getting worse every week. If you come here be prepare to carry a weapon and KNOW how to use it....because that's the only thing that can protect you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia