U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 AM

10,784 posts, read 9,493,912 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Cairo and still have many friends back there. My parents moved down there when I was very little from Connecticut and actually loved it! There is a real sense of community that you can get in small towns. We always partook in the annual Christmas parade, the local clubs, etc. My dad was in the Kiwanis club, which most of his friends were in, which held fun activities like the Halloween haunted house every year. Friday night football for the Syrupmakers was always fun. Oh! And don't forget Mule Day; that was my favorite as a child. It's a small town; with small town closeness.

I think my education was perfectly fine throughout the primary years. Although we did have some friends that sent their children to private school in Thomasville (there's a very top notch private school there). Later, in high school, my parents returned up north and I ended up going to a boarding school that is consistently named #2 in the nation. I had no problems academically. In addition, from the people I grew up with, they're all doing fairly well so it can't be that bad!

Yes, there is a huge agricultural compotent there. Mostly soybeans, since that is a major cash crop. There's quite a bit of the local families that have had their farming land in their families for hundreds of years. So, you can actually find some very well to do farmers there.

For shopping, we could find our everyday needs there and would hop over to Tallahassee for anything larger. Only time we ever really went to Valdosta for something was some college courses I took in the summer for gifted students. There were plenty of lake trips out to Lake Seminole and weekend trips down to the beach.

I loved growing up in Cairo and miss it dearly! My daughter hears about it all the time. Oh and when we moved there, all of the neighbors gave us a party to say welcome - I think they were trying to get their measure of us. However, if you return the kindness offered, you will find it is like any small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 03:33 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,190,970 times
People who are born and raised in South Georgia seem to love it there, its home to them. I've spent some time down there, because I lived in Atlanta for a few years and did some work in South Georgia. I'm from California so it was just waaaay to much of a culture shock for me. No offense, but its really like you travel back in time when you down there. Race relations, political views, religious views, amenities, pretty much everything is set several decades back while the rest of the world progresses. There are some really nice people I've met from there though. Some of the nicest in the world.

As for the Yankee thing, that won't be too much of a problem. People will look at you funny when you talk though and will say you talk too "proper". What will be a problem though is if you have democratic or liberal political views. Since Obama has been elected there is a strong democratic and liberal resentment in the South. I would honestly be scared to wear an Obama shirt or have an Obama sticker down there, and I'm not joking.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,299,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Okay you live in a nice-ish town (Valdosta) but look around you. The rest of South GA is not nearly as nice as you describe it. Driving all the way down into FL to find something to do may appeal to you but to many that's un-appealing.
And great, you've had a few new places of business open, but what about the whole of South GA? Jobs are packing up and leaving.
I'm sure the whole small town thing with little to do appeals to some people. Boring quiet towns where many businesses close after 7 PM has some appeal for some. But I would wager that most people like options, and they like options close to them. Not in Tallahassee or Jacksonville, but within 15-20 minutes.
Personally if you were to move to South GA I would recommend Camden County. That truly is close to Jacksonville (not an hour away but a half an hour) and Fernandina Beach is even closer.
Don't know about southwest GA, but southeast GA area near Savannah is currently seeing an incredible amount of growth. My county was ranked 4th fastest in GA for 2010-2011 when comes to percent growth by the USCB.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 PM

92 posts, read 209,395 times
Cool of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Don't know about southwest GA, but southeast GA area near Savannah is currently seeing an incredible amount of growth. My county was ranked 4th fastest in GA for 2010-2011 when comes to percent growth by the USCB.
Yes definitely Savannah is becoming another ATL. Soon Hinesville will be connected to Richmond Hill, which has exploded. Here in this part of SW GA, Valdosta is a wanna be boomtown. The problem is, once outside of town, you have to go miles and miles to get to the next sizable town. Valdosta only has one big true commercial/shopping area too and that is expanding. There are a few other smaller shopping areas, but not much after that one big one, and I wouldnt call Walmart a commercial district, lol. An area called Five Points is a little commercial, but also many things closed shop, and there is a humongous abandoned parking lot with a Big Lots that there letting go to waste. My biggest problem with Valdosta is the transportation planning. The only way to get from the north side of town to the big shopping area is a small two lane grid locked road that goes past some wooded but developed sections, along with a pretty big lake called Jo-Ree's . It almost seems like it would be impossible to ever widen the road due to that- it's called Jerry Jones Drive. I always wondered if it named after the Cowboys owner, lol. Valdosta has one real big industrial park for a town this size on the south side, but, it is mainly grimy, dirty, very hot, blue collar menial type jobs only it seems. Valdosta sort of is a 'wanna-be' type town. I mean it kind of tries to operate as a big city, even many store employees, like to sort of do everything 'by the book' and seem sort of like 'programmed robots' doing their job. It is ok, but, you can see the fakeness in how they treat you so easily. You'd think with its proximity to FL-only 15 minutes away, and it is right on I-75, that it would be more to it. I remember once I first moved to Valdosta, it seemed like it had a lot. However, after living here for about 2 years now, everything has gotten kind of 'old' already. If not for the university and the air force base, this place would be more closer to be a village, hahaha. Honestly, other than those two, Valdosta is basically centered around the darn hospital (a big fake 'woooo-hoooo to that), that and the 2 Walmarts. Oh my, we are bigtime now, we got a Walmart, even more special to have 2 of them!. Actually they need another Walmart, because it seems that most of the population spends most of their time in the 2. Now, with all that negative stuff said, I do not hate this town, I do like to look at most of it except mainly the east and south sides. Eventually though I am moving, either to: Citrus County FL, Southeast NC coastal area around Wilmington, or to stay in GA near the Kingsland- St. Mary's area. With all things considered, I'd still rather live here than where I moved down from, which was north-central MD/south-central PA. Worst people in the world that I ever met or dealt with come from that area, and I have moved around a lot too.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 19,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperrX View Post
An area called Five Points is a little commercial, but also many things closed shop, and there is a humongous abandoned parking lot with a Big Lots that there letting go to waste.
that's where the new library and city auditorium are being built. previous owner is out-of-state, refused to do anything with property, even refused to sell it. finally let it go last year. its all being torn down and construction on the new facilities starts next year. current city auditorium is being sold to the hospital.

Quote:
My biggest problem with Valdosta is the transportation planning. The only way to get from the north side of town to the big shopping area is a small two lane grid locked road . . . .
DOT will only pay for a 4-lane road to go there; city does not want that. city engineers want two lanes with a center turn lane, which is all it needs. the city has discussed paying for this out-of-pocket to keep from destroying the neighborhoods with a 4-lane road.

Quote:
I always wondered if it named after the Cowboys owner, lol.
me too

Quote:
Valdosta has one real big industrial park for a town this size on the south side, but, it is mainly grimy, dirty, very hot, blue collar menial type jobs only it seems.
valdosta has several industrial parks. some are heavy industry, some are tech.

Quote:
Valdosta sort of is a 'wanna-be' type town. I mean it kind of tries to operate as a big city,

no, not really. where did you get that impression?

Quote:
even many store employees, like to sort of do everything 'by the book' and seem sort of like 'programmed robots' doing their job. It is ok, but, you can see the fakeness in how they treat you so easily. You'd think with its proximity to FL-only 15 minutes away, and it is right on I-75, that it would be more to it.. . . . .
blah blah now you're just being obnoxious.

Quote:
I do not hate this town,
could've fooled me.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 11,011 times
true....very truthful this place is declining as I am typing this what little business thats here is closing. If you like Walmart then this would be Ok for you,other than that nothing here.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,118,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalee View Post
true....very truthful this place is declining as I am typing this what little business thats here is closing. If you like Walmart then this would be Ok for you,other than that nothing here.
It is an old thread from 2010, but not much has changed for that area of Georgia in many ways. If you are someone wanting to relocate to southwest GA, do a lot of research. The area has been hard hit from loss of manufacturing jobs over the past 2 decades or so. The same can be said for many rural areas of the South. If you know you have a good job lined up, that is a big advantage for you. I would advise anyone to make a few visits to area to see if it suits them. To make a quick summary for someone interested: if you move there, and then try to seek work, chances are you will have a very hard time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia