U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,104 times

Advertisements

My family and I are from New England and we are thinking of relocating to Southern Georgia, probably Cairo. I was wondering if people from the area could tell me some things; how are the schools, churches, shopping? What's the weather like? How's the job market? Do many people farm, if so what, crops, animals? Not to be offensive, but is race an issue (we're white) or would we be thought of as "yankees"? And are there any good websites that have photos of the area? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,307,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcj View Post
My family and I are from New England and we are thinking of relocating to Southern Georgia, probably Cairo. I was wondering if people from the area could tell me some things; how are the schools, churches, shopping? What's the weather like? How's the job market? Do many people farm, if so what, crops, animals? Not to be offensive, but is race an issue (we're white) or would we be thought of as "yankees"? And are there any good websites that have photos of the area? Thanks
Hopefully someone from Cairo will respond with specifics. This thread may provide an overview--life in South GA near the FL/GA line.
//www.city-data.com/forum/georg...area-help.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo,_Georgia

From the article it seems that cane syrup was/or is a major industry.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Cairo&state=GA

It looks like Tallahassee, FL and Valdosta, GA are the closest cities/towns of any size.

The population seems to be around 10,000.

hth

Last edited by TakeAhike; 06-16-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,438,161 times
i don't know much about living in cairo, but i go through there all the time.

its a small town w/ basic services. i don't think your northern heritage will be an issue.

there is a lot of farming in this area; mostly cotton and peanuts, but also corn, wheat, soybeans, and produce.

cairo is the birthplace of jackie robinson!

thomasville is less than 15 minutes away, and tallahassee is 40 minutes. many people commute from these towns to work in tallahassee. i do it myself 2-3 days a week.

google the city offices or local chamber for possible pics; you may also want to call the chamber of commerce or economic development office (usually these coexist within the chamber offices) with questions about the job market.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 PM

7 posts, read 42,917 times
how are the schools
-not that great.

churches
-well there is a church every block, so you won't have a problem finding one you like

shopping
-Walmart

What's the weather like
-too damn hot

How's the job market
-declining

Do many people farm, if so what, crops, animals?
-Yes...cotton, corn, horses, cows

Not to be offensive, but is race an issue (we're white) or would we be thought of as "yankees"?
-No, just because we're in south Georgia doesn't mean we're racist

Old 08-05-2010, 01:38 PM

5,882 posts, read 4,359,471 times
Don't move to South Georgia.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Don't move to South Georgia.

why?

simply because you didn't like it?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM

876 posts, read 2,002,927 times
I think if you visit first, you may get a better idea. I have family from Southwest Georgia in neighboring towns. Just like any small town, there is a small town mentality (it doesn't bother me, but then again, I haven't lived there myself other than visits). Yes, it takes about an hour to get to other large towns on 2 lane highways, and people will know you are from out of town, but they will be generally polite and friendly.

It is very humid in the summer, worse than northern Georgia and quite flat, so kinda boring landscape. If you have been in Northern Florida, Southwest GA is similar to that area.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
why?

simply because you didn't like it?
No because jobs are leaving South Georgia, not coming here. The schools aren't very good. It's way too hot out. The towns are impoverished and things are only getting worse. As far as entertainment goes there is none. Shopping consists of Wal-Mart and perhaps a grocery store. Crimes rates are rising and the "downtown" areas are decrepit. The whole notion of the "quaint small southern town" are over. The towns are small (and getting smaller) for a reason. No one wants to live here.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
No because jobs are leaving South Georgia, not coming here. The schools aren't very good. It's way too hot out. The towns are impoverished and things are only getting worse. As far as entertainment goes there is none. Shopping consists of Wal-Mart and perhaps a grocery store. Crimes rates are rising and the "downtown" areas are decrepit. The whole notion of the "quaint small southern town" are over. The towns are small (and getting smaller) for a reason. No one wants to live here.

Hmm that's weird, because I've seen a lot of new manufacturing facilities and service businesses open here in the past 2 years.

I shop at plenty of stores besides wal-mart.

i find it amazing that i've been able to survive happily in this place after reading some of the posts about south GA on here.

I find plenty to do in valdosta; and its not so much about what's available locally, for me, its the proximity to other areas that i like.

we have a place @ the coast for relaxing and recreation, and we routinely make weekend trips to tallahassee and jacksonville for other entertainment and shopping.

if you can't give an honest, unbiased assessment of an area, just leave it alone. you're doing many folks a disservice who would otherwise be quite happy here.

i won't say its the greatest place on earth, but its home. it has its problems just like any other area in the nation, but there's plenty to offer.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Hmm that's weird, because I've seen a lot of new manufacturing facilities and service businesses open here in the past 2 years.

I shop at plenty of stores besides wal-mart.

i find it amazing that i've been able to survive happily in this place after reading some of the posts about south GA on here.

I find plenty to do in valdosta; and its not so much about what's available locally, for me, its the proximity to other areas that i like.

we have a place @ the coast for relaxing and recreation, and we routinely make weekend trips to tallahassee and jacksonville for other entertainment and shopping.

if you can't give an honest, unbiased assessment of an area, just leave it alone. you're doing many folks a disservice who would otherwise be quite happy here.

i won't say its the greatest place on earth, but its home. it has its problems just like any other area in the nation, but there's plenty to offer.
Okay you live in a nice-ish town (Valdosta) but look around you. The rest of South GA is not nearly as nice as you describe it. Driving all the way down into FL to find something to do may appeal to you but to many that's un-appealing.
And great, you've had a few new places of business open, but what about the whole of South GA? Jobs are packing up and leaving.
I'm sure the whole small town thing with little to do appeals to some people. Boring quiet towns where many businesses close after 7 PM has some appeal for some. But I would wager that most people like options, and they like options close to them. Not in Tallahassee or Jacksonville, but within 15-20 minutes.
Personally if you were to move to South GA I would recommend Camden County. That truly is close to Jacksonville (not an hour away but a half an hour) and Fernandina Beach is even closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia