U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM

22 posts, read 81,191 times

Advertisements

Please don't be put off Georgia out of fear of race issues. I spent most of my childhood and early adult life in and around the D.C. area as well. I had had a very bad experience in Alabama in the pre-civil rights days and did have some concerrns. Many years later (I'm now a senior citizen) my husband and I relocated from the West to a small town in Georgia and frankily, we've NEVER been happier. We live in an historic area on a block where there are both (forgive the terms) white and black families. The kids play together because they live near each other. In our town there is ONE elementary school, ONE middle school and one highschool (actually these schools are for the whole county). While people do move here, there is NOT a LOT of influx in the town. And, actually I think these two points (EVERYONE going to the same schools and not a LOT of new people moving in) as important towards a town's atmosphere. So, if you're looking to move to Georgia, I hope you have a chance to size up some of the towns you would consider. Try taking a drive around the churches on Sunday around the time services let out...and take a GOOD look at people as they leave church...see who's talking to each other. Drop in at the grocery stores and see who's doing the talking. Drive up and down streets and see if there is a racial mix. I describe many of the people in our town as "New South" to my friends in the West. This doesn't mean that I haven't encountered some "Old South" folks, they've been few and far between. In fact, I honestly believe that there is less racism in our Georgia town than in the Western city where we lived for many years. I'm trying to paint a realistic picture, not all towns are the same. There is a town that is about 15 miles away that has a sort of racial tension feel, but another town 12 miles away that doesn't. I hope you have the chance to visit a couple of towns before you decide whether to move to Georgia and if so, WHERE to move. We love Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 PM

19 posts, read 71,905 times
I also thought the very same thing living in Ma. I moved to Ga. two years ago and absolutely HATE it. I'll take the city and the cost of living in it anyday as compaired to how laid back and slower it is here. Something else you may want to consider besides the cost of living.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:39 PM

483 posts, read 1,943,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preshus_femm View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Its been helpful. Although the whole race thing does scare me (cuz its the south) I am white but my son, 8 years old is bi-racial. [/font]
Don't let the bi-racial thing worry you. I doubt anyone will even mention it.
Do, however, pay attention to the schools he will be attending - some are awful.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,531,836 times
Asking where the best place to live in Georgia is sort of like an Englishman asking where is the best place to live in the United States.

Most people think where they are living is the best place, and people live everywhere. So, I guess, without more information on likes and disslikes, EVERYWHERE in Georgia is the best place to live.

People could probably answer "where is the best place to live where I can buy a house for $300,000 in a rural area of northeast Atlanta, at least 7 miles outside of the perimeter." Yes, you need to get that specific to get good quality answeres that will help you.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:45 PM

527 posts, read 1,716,209 times
East Cobb is known as the area with the best schools(Walton, Pope, Lassiter). You can find older homes for the low $200,000 in these areas...but they will be older homes.

If you work from home, then schools would be the best way to narrow your search inmho...unless you will need to be traveling to different hotels.

Not sure how that would work, but Georgia is big and the traffic is tough.

Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:35 PM

37 posts, read 94,995 times
Default Think again

Drugs bad in Georgia, schools suck, good jobs are scarce, and I am a native. I don't even recognize the place anymore.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM

138 posts, read 567,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga native View Post
Drugs bad in Georgia, schools suck, good jobs are scarce, and I am a native. I don't even recognize the place anymore.
Holy misinformation Batman.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:23 PM

17 posts, read 45,816 times
Default I would pick GA over VA anyday....

Quote:
I grew up in the DC metro area. I've never lived anywhere else. But now I am considering moving to Georgia because the rent prices are so LOW compared to Northern VA, MD and DC. I am convinced I'm running a rat race that I will never be able to win if I stay in the DC area. Very thing is sooo high and I am a single mother living paycheck to paycheck. Frankly I am so sick of it!

Where are the best neighborhoods and schools in Georgia?

Thank you kindly
I have to agree with you myself. I have been trying to get back to Georgia myself. It is a lot cheaper then DC. I live about an hour south of D.C. and the cost of living is coming my way. I am currently in Caroline County and the cost of homes to purchase and / or rent is unbelievable. Be blessed to be getting paid paycheck to paycheck. I was recently laid off from my job that I have been working for, for seven years. And this SUCKS!

Before I lived in Georgia, I never lived anywhere else but here in Funky Virginia. (They should call Virginia the Richest and the state that loves to rip off their own residents; such as taxes) But anyway. Take a trip to Georgia first before making that move. I lived in Gwinnett County when I was there and my son went to Chatahoochee and I loved it. The kids were actually respectful and everything. I am applying to positions down there now. But it's best for you to go first before you make that decision. Georgia isn't for everyone. By you living in D.C. you are use to the traffic. But GA has traffic everyday and that's something that you have to prepare yourself for. By you working from home that's a good thing.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,121 times
hi im Tammy

Im also planning to relocate to Ga as well. But i want a decent quiet country setting.With good schools for my son who is 2 at this time. Im noving from CT and have no idear what town. .I have a job @ Wakmart and plan to transfer.Can anyone give me any advice??? ty

Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times
Quote:
[font="Georgia"]I run a mobile massage company in the DC Area and will probably be opening a branch in Georgia if there's a demand for it in Atlanta's Four and Five star Hotels
You would probably need to actually get contracts from the hotels in order to do this. Atlanta is still a relatively conservative city compared to some other larger cities. Here, "massage therapist = hooker" to many (especially law enforcement), and they really do monitor parlors and services carefully. The only way to get around the stigma here is to go into sports massage (or such as a health club), or to be directly employed with a resort or hotel, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or