U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:15 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy66666 View Post
hi im Tammy

Im also planning to relocate to Ga as well. But i want a decent quiet country setting.With good schools for my son who is 2 at this time. Im noving from CT and have no idear what town. .I have a job @ Wakmart and plan to transfer.Can anyone give me any advice??? ty
It's usually best to start your own topic/thread on it, Tammy. Starting one halfway down someone else's is considered "hijacking a thread" by some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 AM

17 posts, read 45,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy66666 View Post
hi im Tammy

Im also planning to relocate to Ga as well. But i want a decent quiet country setting.With good schools for my son who is 2 at this time. Im noving from CT and have no idear what town. .I have a job @ Wakmart and plan to transfer.Can anyone give me any advice??? ty

I can only speak for myself. I lived in Gwinnett county and I enjoyed it. The school that my son went to was wonderful. But it all depends on what you are looking for. Before you actually relocate to another state it's best to visit a couple of times first. We actually visited seven or eight times before we moved there and decided where we wanted to live. And another thing. The majority of the counties are huge, everything is there within that county that you could possibly need. Where I was living I think I had a minimum of four different malls surrounding me. I didn't have to go to one particular mall all of the time because I had other choices. Plus, you would have to go by your payscale and the area you would want to live in first in Georgia. Just to make sure that you would be able to afford to live there. CT isn't cheap, so if Walmart let you relocate and keep your same pay you should be fine. But still check out everything first in Ga.

You also said that you have a 2 year old. It's a GREAT CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER / DAY CARE in Gwinnett and I am sure that they are in other areas too. And it is called KIDS R' KIDS. They are wonderful also. Hopefully, I have given you a little information to start your research. You can also go online and search for homes or apartments in GA that would fit your budget. But when you go down to visit, just pick up some Apartment books and that can give you a general idea of what some areas will cost. I wish you the best.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:33 PM

22 posts, read 81,191 times
Preshus...I misread "message" for "massage"..and thought, "oh a mobile message service between hotels"...never heard of it, but there's lots I haven't heard of.

When I re-read your post and saw that you do MASSAGES for $20, I though, "WOW!". I live in a TINY rural mid-Georgia town and massages run between $50 & $60 an hour. I was stunned to find out the price where I live. And, there are several people in our town who do massages. I haven't noticed that these folks have a lot of business, though, which is not surprising for what they charge.

What's funny is that a lot of services cost less where I live now. Attorneys, accountants, electricians and plumbers are SUBSTANTIALLY less, but massages are almost double what I'm used to paying. Odd, huh?

I'm mentioning this because my GUESS is that you could get more than $20 an hour in a fancy hotel in the Atlanta area.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:03 AM

37 posts, read 94,995 times
Default Lived in Georgia most of my life

Carrollton Ga is the pitts. I wished I had never moved back from Florida.
The urban sprawl is terrible. We do have a lousy school system and rating Carrollton to just about anyplace in Georgia ..Carrollton is the worst.
The drugs, and the law enforcement does very little....I would move but we have kids and a mortgage until I get reset up I am stuck . Great Great Grandfather founded Douglasville. I KNOW Georgia and I do not recognize it. I must say I love KIngsland and St Marys.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,136 times
Hi Folks,

New at this website, but here it goes....

I live in New Jersey, but was born in NYC.
My whole family is basically within 30 minutes to 1-2 hours
from where I'm sitting right now.
I guess, just like so many others here on this website coming from up north, you start feeling the pressures of finances and you start asking yourself...is there a better way???
I'm not sure!!!

I've been working for a large telcom company now for over 26 years.
The house is mortgaged up the kazoo and the taxes are at about $8,500/yr.
Needless to say that our 2 salaries are just about barley covering it right now.
I hate the thought of leaving New Jersey because it has soooo much to offer and not to mention leaving behind history and family.

I'm Italian so bare with me because we tend to get emotional about things
we truly believe in...

I thought about going to Florida beacuse I love the ocean but between the heat and hurricanes that are worse there than Jersey, who wants to be bothered. I have friends in Easley,SC but I'm not to sure.
I've been looking at maps for areas close to them but in Georgia...
by Commerce, GA or that area.
I might be losing my job in about 2-3 years and need to start thinking ahead.
I'll be 49 this year, so I need to come up with a plan about where I might have to run to when things go bad and may need to be anywhere other than the high cost state of New Jersey.
Anyway, I feel I'm basiclly lost and torn inside with no options left.

Can anyone tell me about the Commerce,GA area?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It's usually best to start your own topic/thread on it, Tammy. Starting one halfway down someone else's is considered "hijacking a thread" by some.
Im new to this excuse me.I meant no harm or hijack any thread from any one.TY you Greg for your Southern hospitality !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 AM

483 posts, read 1,943,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebbie View Post
I'm mentioning this because my GUESS is that you could get more than $20 an hour in a fancy hotel in the Atlanta area.
Mine too. Not only could you charge quite a bit more, you'd probably get more business at the higher price. Nobody stays in downtown hotels because they're cheap. You'll also have parking fees, gas, etc. which will add up really fast.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:52 PM

25 posts, read 159,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preshus_femm View Post
I grew up in the DC metro area. I've never lived anywhere else. But now I am considering moving to Georgia because the rent prices are so LOW compared to Northern VA, MD and DC. I am convinced I'm running a rat race that I will never be able to win if I stay in the DC area. Very thing is sooo high and I am a single mother living paycheck to paycheck. Frankly I am so sick of it!

Where are the best neighborhoods and schools in Georgia?

Thank you kindly
Depends on what part of town you want to live in, Cobb Co. has good schools, Gwinnett school district is the largest in Ga. Oconee Co. has very good schools as well, as far as neighborhoods, the rule of thought is the farther north the better, south Atl, stay away from, to much crime. Hope this helps

Old 07-29-2007, 02:03 PM

35 posts, read 153,384 times
If you are trying to get out of the rat race, but still be around high star hotels - you may try the Savannah area. It's on the coast, but there is an armed forces base on the outskirts of Savannah, thus providing some rental as well as starter home options available which may suit your housing needs. Travel to and from downtown Savannah from the outskirts isn't bad at all.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:15 PM

16 posts, read 81,665 times
To Jamiemo, What's Wrong With Macon Ga, Is It Really Racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or