U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,723 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the DC metro area. I've never lived anywhere else. But now I am considering moving to Georgia because the rent prices are so LOW compared to Northern VA, MD and DC. I am convinced I'm running a rat race that I will never be able to win if I stay in the DC area. Very thing is sooo high and I am a single mother living paycheck to paycheck. Frankly I am so sick of it!

Where are the best neighborhoods and schools in Georgia?

Thank you kindly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times
Two things:

1) You didn't mention what you do for a living. While certain things are lower in price here, so are payscales. Someone who makes $20 an hour in DC might only make $13 an hour for the same job here (Atlanta) and even less in the smaller cities.

2) Georgia is large. It would be impossible to get an answer as to where the best place to live and the best schools are in a state this large without narrowing down an area you'd prefer. If you ask 100 people this question about the state as a whole, you'll get 100 completely different answers.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 AM

42 posts, read 148,920 times
Default Atlanta?...

Depends on your job and income, and unfortunately, race. Atlanta is very nice, but it's expensive unless you live way out in the suburbs where you will have a long commute. There are all kinds of neighborhoods in Atlanta. White, black, hispanic, asian and mixed. Most intown areas are becoming mixed except for the new immigrant neighborhoods like Chamblee, Clarkston.

Schools in Georgia are usually poor unless you live in a nice neighborhood or have money for private schools. One exception is Chamblee which has the highest SAT scores in the state.

Last edited by jxu66; 06-21-2007 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: remove personal info

Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,306,746 times
Exclamation So many threads on education

I am tempted to suggest that a sub forum be created just for this.

A good quality of education is available in GA--test scores are a means to assess progress/performance--but we all know that many other factors are involved.

FWIW--Chamblee has a magnet program--for high achievers and that is one reason it has good test scores. Many posts on this several months ago and more recently.

sls

Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 20,687 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preshus_femm View Post
I grew up in the DC metro area. I've never lived anywhere else. But now I am considering moving to Georgia because the rent prices are so LOW compared to Northern VA, MD and DC. I am convinced I'm running a rat race that I will never be able to win if I stay in the DC area. Very thing is sooo high and I am a single mother living paycheck to paycheck. Frankly I am so sick of it!

Thank you kindly
Hello, I lived in College Park, Maryland a few years back and I moved from there to Georgia. I love it here and as you mentioned earlier it is in fact much cheaper. In College Park I had a 1 bedroom 1 Bath apartment for 1217 and moved to georgia and got a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath apartment for 1080 with an attached garage in Marietta, Georgia (Cobb County) Big savings. Needless to say, I realized that purchasing a home was better so I moved and purchased my own home.

Someone else mentioned that the type of work is a factor which is true. What type of work are you presently working? This will give an idea as to what areas you will be potentially interested in living.

I hope all is well with you and your endeavors.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,723 times
Default Responding..

Frankly my job is not an issue. I will be still making $20 an hour simply because I will be working from home. I run a mobile massage company in the DC Area and will probably be opening a branch in Georgia if there's a demand for it in Atlanta's Four and Five star Hotels
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Its been helpful. Although the whole race thing does scare me (cuz its the south) I am white but my son, 8 years old is bi-racial.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:38 PM

16 posts, read 56,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preshus_femm View Post
Frankly my job is not an issue. I will be still making $20 an hour simply because I will be working from home. I run a mobile massage company in the DC Area and will probably be opening a branch in Georgia if there's a demand for it in Atlanta's Four and Five star Hotels
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Its been helpful. Although the whole race thing does scare me (cuz its the south) I am white but my son, 8 years old is bi-racial.

As an African American whose lived here all her life, I can tell you not to worry too much about the whole race issue. I can attest to the fact that Atlanta is a LOT different from when I grew up in the 70s & 80s...to be any race that was considered different during that time period felt like it was a flaw. People here have gotten a lot more tolerant. You & your son should be okay where ever you decide to live (Check out Lithonia, Decatur, Stone Mountain area).

On the flipside of that, I will tell you if you do come down here to be mindful of the fact that this still is the land of the Confederacy. A friend of mine who is of Mexican descent moved down here from Maryland and was taken back by the fact that GA's state flag use to be the Confederate flag and that Stone Mountain is forever etched with the profiles of the forefathers of the Confederacy. She moved back after a year of living here. Race wasn't her only reason for moving back but it was indeed a factor (other factors included not having the flexiblity of being able to entertain job opportunities in neighboring states like she did in MD, not having access to school listed to be high quality in the U.S. The 1,200 Top U.S. Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532678/site/newsweek/ - broken link), etc.)

If you have the opportunity, come down and check out various areas for yourself. Look around, talk to people within various neighborhoods, do some research on the market for massage therapy.

I don't want you to come down here with blinders on thinking that GA is the land of milk and honey. I love my state with its various flaws and all. I just want you to be aware of its pros and cons in terms of race (which should never be a factor regardless of where you in live in the 21st century yet we still live in times where there are ignorant people around).

Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 AM

4 posts, read 33,776 times
dont forget how big atlanta is...the rat race is here also....i live 30 miles outside of atlanta in Newton county, covington which use to be a nice quite small town not it can take me 30min to go 5miles down the road to GET to the highway then if your going into atlanta it could take another 1hr IF theres not an accident!!! Georgia is not the best state as far as there education. The class ratio is high. one place i would suggest is athens...its a college town that has EVERYTHING you could want...you can live on the out skirts of athens and feel like your in the country. i had a friend that moved from covington to jefferson and she said her kids really liked the schools. but for the most part georgia is a true Southern state...most people are polite unless there so stressed out from the traffic....then you can understand where road rage comes from!!! good luck

Old 07-16-2007, 06:05 AM

4 posts, read 14,880 times
Whatever you do, DON'T move to Macon.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,066,158 times
I think your biggest problem is going to be your work. while you will be able to find housing that you can afford, you will have to travel to the hotels, etc to work. That's going to be expensive and time consuming because of the traffic patterns around the hotels. The cost of gas and parking is going to take a hunk from your earnings. The Atlanta area is spread out a good bit. Plus it would take quite a time to build up a regular clientele.

I suspect you will still be living from paycheck to paycheck. What would be worse is that you would have to start from the bottom and work your way back up to where you are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or