Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 22,823 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Ellijay or Blue Ridge from Hawaii in the next year or so. I've been researching the area and have found a lot of useful information on these forums.

I can completely understand the feelings of the locals - living in Hawaii where the richest of the rich build their second (or third or fourth) homes and watching many people trying to turn this island into California or where ever it was they came from makes me think I can understand how locals anywhere feel about development and newcomers, etc

However, assuming that we want to move to the area because we love the views, the slower pace of life, the peace and quiet, etc. is it fair to assume that we'll generally be accepted by local folks? When we moved to Hawai'i, we tried very hard to immerse ourselves into all things local - we never felt we tried to change Hawaii into the midwest (where we are from originally). We treated locals with respect and made every attempt to learn their culture and for the most part, were always treated the same in return. We made a lot of wonderful friends here and believe that it was because we came here because we truly loved the island and what it had to offer. If we were to move to Georgia with the same attitude, will be be accepted in return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 AM

39 posts, read 169,331 times
Sounds like you have the right attitude. You should be fine.

Don't forget your winter coat - it's already cold here!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:56 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,667,533 times
You'll be fine with the right attitude. My family has a cabin up in Ellijay and my step-mom's sister has lived on the North Shore for 20 years, b/t, I think (Sunset Beach and 3 tables beach). We went out there a few years ago for her new marriage.

It is amazingly two different areas, complete polar opposites. Just hope you know what your getting yourself into.

There has been some backlash lately with wealthy people buying up land and building McMansions on a 100 year old apple farm next to normal homes. Takes away from the Appalachian feel.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 17,031 times
you'll find some of the friendliest folks and most beautiful places in the country here. don't worry; if you want to make friends you will.

Ball Ground Ga real estate - Foreclosure homes land for sale

Last edited by fishhound; 09-12-2009 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-01-2010, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 23,426 times
does anyone know where the majority of the baby boomers live in north georgia? I am looking for a 55+ active adult rental apartment community in the outskirts of atlanta?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:18 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,300,665 times
You can look up in Cherokee County at a place called The Lodge at Bridgemill- it's a luxury 55+ rental community. It's still close enough to Atlanta to give you easy access to any amenities there that you might want, while being far enough out that you're not "in the city".

Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,803,455 times
I may possibly be taking a job in the near future that's based in Ellijay, but want to live in the orbit of metro Atlanta. What would be my best option in terms of a city to live? From looking at a map, it looks like Marietta might be a decent choice. Seems like it would give me a commute of around 45 minutes or so?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 PM

152 posts, read 524,123 times
I would say Canton would be your best bet IMO. It looks pretty much halfway in the middle between Ellijay and Atlanta- 40 miles in either direction. Woodstock would have you a little closer to ATL but add another 10 miles on to your daily commute. Marietta is about 60 miles from Ellijay which would be quite a haul on a daily basis. You have to live where you're most comfortable but even places like Canton or Woodstock to Ellijay do not sound fun IMO. Perhaps some folks more familiar with the NW Atlanta metro area could help you out a little more.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:42 PM

744 posts, read 2,473,818 times
I would also suggest Woodstock and Canton. The commute to Ellijay from Marrietta is a really long one. Also I 75 out of Marrietta can have some pretty nasty traffic on it at times because it is a super busy highway. 575 which Canton and Woodstock are off of is much nicer highway traffic wise.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,803,455 times
I was also looking at Canton and Woodstock. Thanks for the suggestions. Obviously they will have less to offer than Marietta, but what do they have in the way of basic amenities (shopping centers, entertainment, etc.)? Are they pretty much purely bedroom communities? About how long would it take to get to Atlanta proper via I-75 from either town?

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 07-07-2010 at 02:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia