Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 9,653 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys!! I'm a city girl, bred, born and raised buuutttt NYC is sooo old to me! I'm getting older and the hustle and bustle is making me an angry woman! LOL I'm looking into Georgia, moving with my 5-yr old son and the love of my life soo my question is...How much better is Decatur really?? How about Hampton?? Or Alpharetta??

We want someplace quiet, family-oriented and within decent price range. A house is on the agenda, great school system(any will be better than NYC's sucky ass schools) , within reasonable distance of the city! Preferably 20-30mins (Hey, you can get me out of the city but it'll continue to live in me!)

Honesty is the best policy so please don't hesistate to be blunt! I will greatly appreciate ALL feedback!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:40 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Of your choices, only Decatur is 20-30 minutes from downtown Atlanta- Hampton and Alpharetta are closer to 40-45 minutes (longer during rush hour).

The big questions are-

- What are you doing for work?
- Are you looking to rent or buy?
- What's your price range?
- Are you looking for something newer or older? More "intown", or more suburban?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,653 times
I am looking to work in the school system, as I am in school to become a teacher. My babe is a C.O. We want to buy really, but I think it'll be more sensible to rent and see what happens! Nothing more than ummm 170K and I want quiet! Crickets @night and a hammock in the backyard

Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 PM

242 posts, read 596,385 times
Are you planning on getting work in Atlanta? If you are you would need to live in Cobb County or DeKalb County to be close enough. Otherwise, it'd be tiring commute. As for nice places in DeKalb County, don't think Decatur is one of them however it is the one most people can afford. The ones that are the places to live are expensive.

I've never been to NYC, but Atlanta is fast paced to me.

You would have to stay at least 30 mins to an hour out of Atlanta to be able to hear crickets at night.

edit- nevermind didn't see that you were planning on becoming a teacher. I think you would have to stay away from the Atl metro counties (or at least go to the north Atl metro counties) to have a better chance to get a teaching job.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
At $170k, Decatur is out, as are many of the decent areas close to Atlanta. To find something quiet in that price range, you'll be driving an hour to Atlanta. BTW- getting a job in the schools is nearly impossible at the moment due to budget shortages- I hope you realize that.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl14 View Post
Are you planning on getting work in Atlanta? If you are you would need to live in Cobb County or DeKalb County to be close enough. Otherwise, it'd be tiring commute. As for nice places in DeKalb County, don't think Decatur is one of them however it is the one most people can afford. The ones that are the places to live are expensive.

I've never been to NYC, but Atlanta is fast paced to me.

You would have to stay at least 30 mins to an hour out of Atlanta to be able to hear crickets at night.

edit- nevermind didn't see that you were planning on becoming a teacher. I think you would have to stay away from the Atl metro counties (or at least go to the north Atl metro counties) to have a better chance to get a teaching job.
Actually, the City of Decatur is one of THE nicest parts of DeKalb County, or the entire metro area for that matter. The prices of real estate there reflect that.

And I hear crickets at night, just 9 miles Northeast of Downtown and inside I-285.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM

242 posts, read 596,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Actually, the City of Decatur is one of THE nicest parts of DeKalb County, or the entire metro area for that matter. The prices of real estate there reflect that.

And I hear crickets at night, just 9 miles Northeast of Downtown and inside I-285.
The last time I went to my cousins house was too long ago so I don't remember too much. He lives outside the perimeter by couple miles and in DeKalb county. I can't remember the road name, but his neighborhood is one of the most expensive ones I've ever seen. Its not Decatur either. Its a nice neighborhood, its not expensive for nothing.

In general I think the good places in DeKalb is too expensive for the person wanting to move around the area.

However I do remember Stone Mountain. That was 4 years ago.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 PM

432 posts, read 760,732 times
Quote:
The last time I went to my cousins house was too long ago so I don't remember too much. He lives outside the perimeter by couple miles and in DeKalb county. I can't remember the road name, but his neighborhood is one of the most expensive ones I've ever seen. Its not Decatur either. Its a nice neighborhood, its not expensive for nothing.
Expensive, Delkab and OTP? Sounds like Dunwoody.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, maybe the several blocks that have been regentrified. The rest of Decatur is the hood. You know that.

Quote:
Those aren't crickets. Those are rats.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Are you planning on getting work in Atlanta? If you are you would need to live in Cobb County or DeKalb County to be close enough. Otherwise, it'd be tiring commute.
Not at the hour that teachers begin work. She could commute in to Atlanta Public Schools on 20 from, say, Douglasville or on 75 from Kennesaw in no time. In either place, she could buy for what she wants to pay, and she could hear crickets in both places, too. She might have to listen hard for crickets over the gunfire in Douglasville, though.

Quote:
I think you would have to stay away from the Atl metro counties (or at least go to the north Atl metro counties) to have a better chance to get a teaching job.
True, teaching jobs are scarce as hens' teeth around here. You're right - the jobs in education are in the outlying counties just now, and there aren't too many of those to be had either, depending upon the OP's specialty, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia