U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 13,089 times

Advertisements

Ok, im going to keep this as simple, condensed and in a nutshell as possible.

Im a 32 year old white male born and raised on Long Island, NY. I have an associates degree and am not too far off from a bachelors in business admin. I currently work for an IT firm here on Long Island (fixing/troubleshooting computers) and i also have a small side gig of developing websites for small businesses.

I took some bad advice a few years ago by letting my young daughter move with her mother from here into her parents house in Cumming, GA (they are NY transplants). She comes to visit me on holidays and stays with me for 9-10 weeks of the summer. Its good that i do get to be in her life and be able to be her daddy but quite honestly i feel very guilty about making her do all the traveling to come stay with me like this. I also feel guilty of the back and forth she has to do between parents and families....it is not good for a young child.

Its come to the point where i want to be in her life on a constant basis while shes still young, shes a very smart, self-aware 5 year old who totally adores me. I want to pick her up from school, be involved in all the things that normal, everyday parents get to enjoy. That said, i am starting the investigation of making a permanent move to this small town...or a very close by town.

I know very little about Cumming so here i am ready to absorb all information i can about this place. What is the local economy like? Will i be able to find work locally there in this economy? (doesnt necessarily have to be in IT but it is preferred), what is the median rent costs in this area? is there a good supply of cute, single ladies possibly interested in a hardened new yorker around there LOL? so on and so forth. Any information is highly appreciated.

Any questions you guys might have about me or my situation i will happily answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,285,591 times
Cumming is a suburb that 20 years ago was an exurb. Back in the 1980s it was still quite redneck, but today there has been an influx of transplants and affluent homeowners. Most people who live there work in north Fulton or Gwinnett counties, and there is little business in Forsyth County itself. Unemployment in the area is still quite high, at around 10%, but things may start to improve over the next year.

If you do move, be sure to have at least 6 months (12 months would be better) of expenses to tide you over in case you can't find work quickly. I would also recommend making a trip here before you decide to move, to see the area first hand. As an native NYer, I like the area, but there have been a few folks posting who have not. Coming from the Island, you should not face the same culture shock as someone from the city, but you never know.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 13,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Cumming is a suburb that 20 years ago was an exurb. Back in the 1980s it was still quite redneck, but today there has been an influx of transplants and affluent homeowners. Most people who live there work in north Fulton or Gwinnett counties, and there is little business in Forsyth County itself. Unemployment in the area is still quite high, at around 10%, but things may start to improve over the next year.

If you do move, be sure to have at least 6 months (12 months would be better) of expenses to tide you over in case you can't find work quickly. I would also recommend making a trip here before you decide to move, to see the area first hand. As an native NYer, I like the area, but there have been a few folks posting who have not. Coming from the Island, you should not face the same culture shock as someone from the city, but you never know.
Not sure why you would think the culture shock would be different between a NYC'er and a Long Islander going there, were all pretty much the same type of person.

I plan on visiting in late september. What other towns/cities nearby other than atl should i check out while im down there? Maybe something a little more fast paced than cumming which seems like its a one traffic light kind of place.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,285,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemazz View Post
Not sure why you would think the culture shock would be different between a NYC'er and a Long Islander going there, were all pretty much the same type of person.

I plan on visiting in late september. What other towns/cities nearby other than atl should i check out while im down there? Maybe something a little more fast paced than cumming which seems like its a one traffic light kind of place.
I grew up in Queens. Living in Suffolk County or even parts of Nassau (you didn't specifiy) is much more analogous to the suburbs here. People in the city expect the extensive transit system and other urban trappings that don't exist in most suburbs. If you're from the Island than you're used to driving places and single family homes, etc.

I would suggest (and I'm sure others will make suggestions) checking out Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, and probably Dunwoody. Sandy Springs and Dunwoody have transit options with rail stations to take you to the airport and downtown. There is also more business and employment options in all of those areas, and you're close to GA400 to get to Cumming to see your children.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,314,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemazz View Post
Cumming itself is a small town but the area around Cumming has a lot of traffic.

Alpharetta and Roswell might be good. lol --lots of transplants and you should have no problem finding women. Many recreational opportunities in and around the metro area. Gwinnett county has some exceptionally nice parks--as do Roswell and Alpharetta--all located on/near the Chattahoocheee River. You gotta 'Shoot the Hooch'--icy cold water which feels pretty good in the summer. The heat from the NE is encroaching on Atlanta as we speak.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 PM

31 posts, read 159,526 times
Cumming is a great family oriented community. If your primary reason for moving here is as it sounds, to be with your daughter then I would say to embrace the change and move as close to her as you can. Maybe even in her school district so that she could ride the bus to your home sometimes. Cumming has great schools and two wonderful parks and recreation departments (one through the city and one through the county) as I am sure your daughter already knows. It's a great place for kids to grow up, my kids love it here. I agree with the previous post about most people working in Gwinnett or Fulton County. The drive from Cumming really isn't that bad to either place and many companies are allowing their employees to work from home so there is always the possibility that you could do that. When my family and I moved here we were moving to be close to family as well so we decided we wanted to live here then began the search for work. My husband went to a few job fairs in Atlanta and applied to about 150 jobs online. We even created a list of fortune 500 companies with offices in the Atlanta area and visited each company's website and applied to every job he qualified for. Within 3 weeks of us launching this job search my husband landed a job. My husband has been laid off twice in the past 3 years although both times he found a new job within 2 weeks. I know that we have been very lucky, but I do think that there are places around us hiring. In fact my husband’s company is still hiring even now. I would suggest applying to some jobs down here and then trying to schedule multiple job interviews within the same week (it would be great if you could come during a week when a job fair is planned, check with the local universities for this info.). That way you could stay here for a week or at least a few days and really get to know the area and hopefully land a job at the same time. If you are planning to finish your BS this is a great area for that because there are so many universities close by: Georgia State University, North Georgia College and State, University, University of Georgia, etc. As far as housing goes I think you will be pleased with the rental options here. In Cumming you can easily find a very nice home to rent (much less expensive than Long Island). Check out craigslist housing/apt and search Cumming to see some examples (atlanta apts/housing for rent classifieds "cumming" - craigslist). As for dating I think you will also be happy here. I know lots of single Moms around here and by being involved in your daughter’s school life and social life you will inevitably meet many women. Many of the churches around here have singles classes and events too. I know many couples that have met that way. There is a pretty good night life in Atlanta and it’s an easy drive from Cumming (just right down GA 400, takes about 30 mins from south Forsyth county exits 13/14) so you could easily mingle down there as well. Living in Cumming you really have the best of both worlds a seemingly small town with a great family environment and a big city close enough to visit whenever you want to. Good Luck with your decision! If you have any other specific questions about the area please ask. I have lived here for years and have kids the same age as yours so I may be able to help answer some of your questions. On a personal note I think your willingness to move for your daughter is incredibly selfless and I am sure she will love you for it even more as she grows up. I came from a divorced family and had to fly and/or drive to visit my father on holidays and weekends and that is very difficult on a child and does making having a close relationship very difficult especially during those very important pre-teen and teenage years. Again I wish you the best of luck with this life changing decision.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM

468 posts, read 1,249,522 times
hard reading - lol - but i agree with ajandjj

Old 07-15-2010, 05:32 PM

77 posts, read 265,764 times
I'll agree with the other poster and say that I think Alpharetta might be a good choice for you. There is a lot of computer/IT work in that area of Atlanta. You could live and potentially work in the Windward area, and you would be around 15 minutes from Cumming. Then, you would have the best of all worlds in Atlanta - very little commute and close to your child, but with good proximity to the city when you want to do fun things.

Good luck - you sound like you are making a well-thought out decision and I'm sure that you will be successful once you get here.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM

9,207 posts, read 18,044,602 times
Cumming (and it has more then 1 traffic light) is in Forsyth County. She may or may not be in the city of Cumming, but just has that post office. Most of Forsyth is people who re/loc'ed into the area. My company moved 66 emp from our NY/NJ offices down here. The Traffic in the greater Atlanta area is bad (and mass transit is limited) . So where you job is a has alot to do with where you will want to live. If you are into going to clubs and night life you want to be in I285 area, Ga400 a 4 lane interstate type road off peak is a easy drive, Rush hour it can be bumper to bumper. Are you looking for a House? condo? townhouse? apt?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:00 AM

18 posts, read 13,971 times
Default livelier places

Atlanta itself has some very lively areas, but is 30 miles away.

You also might try Roswell. I just moved to the area in December. My research kept leading me to Roswell (I'm single and though I like safe neighborhoods with good schools, I find some of the burbs too snoozy). Now that I'm looking for a permanent place, Roswell still appeals!

Roswell has a good mixture of good schools on its north side, good demographics, a lively historic district with a good night life and not too far from Cumming (20 minutes? maybe?) and closer to job centers.

While it is important to be close to your child, Atlanta is enough of a metropolitan area that you can choose an environment and place that is both close enough and meets your other needs too. Being with her is important. Being able to financially support her is too and Cumming isn't the best for that, necessarily, since you'd be commuting a long way to your most likely jobs.

It's nice to hear you wanting to be a responsible, caring Dad and be in her life more. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or