U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,283,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Muggers strongly prefer cities and states that have strict gun laws, since they are less likely to wind up in a body bag.
I can't say that's true or not, but if you look at the stats here on City-Data, you'll see that some of the towns with the lowest crimes are in MA, CT, NJ, and other states with strict gun laws. NYC has less violent crime than Atlanta on a per capita basis and much stricter laws on guns.

There was a single murder in the town I lived in MA (town of 40,000 people), during the entire 15 year period that I lived there, and I believe that it was the only muder for something like 27 years. Gun violence was practically unheard of, and the news wasn't full of one story after another of violent crime like it is in Atlanta.

So how do you rationalize that with your comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:36 AM

412 posts, read 638,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I grew up...in NYC.
Quote:
...in the town I lived in MA...during the entire 15 year period that I lived there...
Make up your mind.

Quote:
NYC has...much stricter laws on guns.
The laws in NYC (if that's where you're from) are easily as strict as those in DC and LA. Meaning, they're forbidden, except to a very few, privileged elite. As you've admitted, though, you don't understand gun culture at all, being from...um...wherever. You're forgiven.

We carry here because that's what we've always done. It's been our way since General Sherman got a little careless with his matches - and before. We're backed by the Bill of Rights. Since 1791.

Now, I personally think that carrying in church is a tad counterintuitive. Be that as it may, if faced with the choice between backing the time-honored, arms-bearing culture of my beloved South and the knowitall spewings of a yankee transplant admittedly uninitiated in the dubious "gun-culture" of the Big Apple, then I'll throw in with Georgia and let the chips fall as they may.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
Make up your mind.
My mind is made up. I was responding to the untrue comment that in places where everyone isn't toting guns like the old west, that people are all being vicitimized and refuting the poster who said:

"Muggers strongly prefer cities and states that have strict gun laws, since they are less likely to wind up in a body bag."

I'm not saything the laws in NY are good or bad, just that people don't need to tote guns on their hips in church to be safe, and most people don't have guns. Same was true in MA where I lived. People didn't need a gun in church, or on the subway, or in a bar to feel safe. Both states have less violent crime than Georgia according to the FBI. Massachusetts has towns that are consistently in the top 100 of safest in the US. Boston is one of the safest big cities. I don't think I knew a single person there who owned or thought they needed a gun. No one has them...and everyone feels (and is) safe. Can you say that about GA? Everyone here thinks they need a gun to go to the bathroom.

//www.city-data.com/top2/co9.html

//www.city-data.com/top26.html

//www.city-data.com/top2/c431.html

//www.city-data.com/top2/c435.html

So I say one more time....GA scares me more and more when I hear this type of talk. Either GA is sooooo unsafe that I can't go anywhere without a gun or I might become a victim (airport, transit, church, bars, etc.....the message being given by the gun lobby) or everyone here is so unstable and paranoid that they feel they must have a gun to go anywhere, and in that case, I don't feel safe knowing that a bunch of paranoids are running around with loaded weapons. Either way it's scary.

Last edited by neil0311; 07-11-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 AM

16,095 posts, read 33,364,793 times
In the northeast the poorer areas with high crime are concentrated in certain areas (Camden, Hartford), and if you aren't poor you likely will never even go into those areas. In the South it's different, the poorer crime ridden areas are very scattered, even small towns with less than 10k people still have ghettos. The bad areas in the South aren't as easily avoidable like they are up north.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:32 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,560,033 times
I am an old school conservative person, an NRA member, a fully certified arms instructor, and a military veteran.

I consider myself an expert in firearms in both specification and safety training and fully believe that any "law abiding" citizen should be allowed to own one.

With this I will say that this suit is absurd
Even in the "Wild West" as some have brought up on this thread, guns were not brought into a place of worship.

All in all why do you need to pack a firearm at all unless you are a security official, gun store owner, C-Store owner/worker, alcohol store owner/worker, Police Officer, Sheriff official, or other Peace Officer?

Folks need to remember if you want to carry a firearm for "Protection" then you better be ready to pull the trigger when looking into someone's eyes and also the legal mantra to come.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I am an old school conservative person, an NRA member, a fully certified arms instructor, and a military veteran.
You're the exception, and not the guy I'm concerned about.

I'm concerned with the guy who thinks he's Dirty Harry, has no training, and is all too ready to play Rambo. I'm also concerned about the dumbass who leaves his gun in a stove or laying around for his toddler to play with when he's not paying attention.

Quote:
I consider myself an expert in firearms in both specification and safety training and fully believe that any "law abiding" citizen should be allowed to own one.
Again, you're not the problem, and you're in the minority. A so-called "law abiding citizen" is just someone who hasn't committed a crime YET...or has never been caught. You can be a dumbass moron and still be "law abiding." You can know nothing about weapons and not have a lick of common sense, and still be "law abiding."

Being "law abiding" with no training or certification is a very low bar to get over to be allowed to own and carry a lethal firearm, and to do so where alcohol is served and on crowded transit vehicles.

Quote:
Even in the "Wild West" as some have brought up on this thread, guns were not brought into a place of worship.
Imagine that.

Quote:
All in all why do you need to pack a firearm at all unless you are a security official, gun store owner, C-Store owner/worker, alcohol store owner/worker, Police Officer, Sheriff official, or other Peace Officer?
Agree 100%. I'm not against ordinary citizens owning and carrying firearms, but the bar to ownership and carrying has to be higher than what it is here in Georgia.

Quote:
Folks need to remember if you want to carry a firearm for "Protection" then you better be ready to pull the trigger when looking into someone's eyes and also the legal mantra to come.
I'm more concerned with people knowing when NOT to pull the trigger. We hear almost daily about idiots not storing their guns properly or shooting a neighbor, etc. My concern....frankly...is people with low intelligence being able to make a decision to take another life without sufficient screening.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,560,033 times
I personally do not have any issue at all with CBI checks nor do I have an issue with FOIDs.

Neil you do have many good points. Folks do talk about "well back in the 50's we used to buy our guns over the counter and go shootin' whenever we wanted too!"
The above is so true, but back in the day you could buy a 30-30, a bolt action 30.06, a Colt M1911 .45 and a standard 9mm plus shotguns.

Today is not the case. The best thing to do is Google AR15, AK47, MAC 9, .50 cal automatic sniper. and you will be surprised of the over the Internet purchase locations

For those who feel anyone, just anyone could buy anytype of firearm I only say one thing. Don't listen to me, don't listen the NRA, and never listen to any left wing wing nuts who talk about Banning! All you have to do is go to an Eastman Gun Show. In Norcross one time I was with my neighbor as he asked me to attend with him to educate on the proper pistol for him in regard to target and home protection. At one table I looked to the right of me and some goofass had a Bush M4 playing soldier not realizing that the darn barrel was pointing right to the side of my head. I grabbed the weapon out of his hand chewed him a new arse and handed it back to the dealer. His response " Gee Bud! don't get all worked up it ain't got no bullets" This is a person who has absolutely no business with a military style weapon nor any weapon for that matter. Then again, thanks to the CBI I doubt that he could have bought one anyway.

Laws do need to be in place but the other end of the extreme is "fake" bans like Clinton did with his so called Assault rifle ban A big joke and the left who is mostly symbolism over substance bought it hook line and sinker. Let's see, remove a flash subressor and grab handle, reduce the magazine to 5 on purchase but banana's are not banned and now it is not an assault rifle. Nah! just an ugly looking weapon that has it's zero ability removed and is more dangerous than the previous

Frankly, if the government enforced current laws on the books we would cut our issues in half. If they used the NRA as a tool in training vs., a political football to play body politic they would have half the issues. As far as the topic at hand? Well, goofballs will always be floating around on both sides of the spectrum.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,129,020 times
Quote:
I like living here for many reasons, but this gun fixation is scary.
I suspect you wouldn't like living in just about any place in rural America, then. I have friends in rural MN, WI, and SD who own a lot of guns, and not just for hunting... And I know the same is true west of there and south of there, as well as in many (if not most) parts of rural GA.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:39 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,311,592 times
Quote:
Frankly, if the government enforced current laws on the books we would cut our issues in half. If they used the NRA as a tool in training vs., a political football to play body politic they would have half the issues. As far as the topic at hand? Well, goofballs will always be floating around on both sides of the spectrum.

I guess we'll find out. Not certain that we should follow LA or AZ, or others, jmo.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I suspect you wouldn't like living in just about any place in rural America, then. I have friends in rural MN, WI, and SD who own a lot of guns, and not just for hunting... And I know the same is true west of there and south of there, as well as in many (if not most) parts of rural GA.
You're right. I would never live in a rural areas.

Again, I'm not against gun ownership, but I think it makes sense to be careful as to who can own a gun and under what circumstances. The government licenses and regulates a whole bunch of less dangerous things, and I don't see a problem with training, testing, and licensing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia