U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM

26 posts, read 44,717 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am in the research phase of relocating. My family would like to move in a couple years and we are considering Georgia. We are from Ohio and are sick of snow and the the area we currently live in is rapidly declining in every way. Hopefully I will be in grad school soon, which will take 2 years, then we will be ready to pack up and go!

We would love to live near the mountains. A cabin would be ideal, but not one of those gigantic ones that ruin the view. It will be me, my husband, and our son who is almost 4 so good schools are a priority. My husband has warehouse and construction experience and I have a BA in psychology. Hopefully I will have my Masters in school counseling soon so schools with jobs are also priority. I am terrified of winter driving here and little snow and ice is ideal!! We would also like a quiet, secluded place with a nice town nearby, but not a big city. A nearby city could be at least a half hour away. We are young (mid 20s, early 30s), athiest but do not discuss religion (too many people want to save us!), not strongly political (also do not discuss!), and we do enjoy other cultures. Outdoor activities are a must as well as access to good grocery stores, gyms, arts activities, and an airport within at least a couple hours for family visits.

I've been searching other posts but get lots of conflicting advice and see people just arguing about silly things! N/NE Georgia seems to have what we're looking for, not sure though. All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by HippieMom06; 07-12-2010 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,196,223 times
There are some lovely towns in NE Ga. I suggest you look at Young Harris which has a 4 year college there. Hiawassee. Hayesville, NC just across the line. Clayton, GA. Perhaps Toccoa, GA. Cornelia, Demorest and Clarksville are possibilities. There is much for sale right now due to economy. Unemployment is huge in that area so if you don't have jobs lined up, I would not move there. It has never been a dynamic job producing area. The area is around 2 to 3 hours from Atlanta which of course has the busiest airport in the world.

Issues with living in that area have to do with convenience and medical. Doctors are thin on the ground in that area and if a family member requires serious medical attention, then be prepared to foot the bill for a helicopter flight. Just the way it is.

There can be somewhat of a "you are not from around here" thing when it comes to local jobs. You have your "work" cut out for you. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,565 times
Default Small Georgia towns

Clarkesville offers views of the mountains, but not the high elevations or prices of say Highlands, NC. If you are a golfer there are many courses both private The Orchard , Kingwood & public, Apple Mtn, Rabun CC,

Much choice of homes from trailers, to cabins, to million dollar properties

Weather is nice hot to very hot in summer to mild cold in winter. As in most small towns not a lot of restaurants , no malls, a few grocery stores

Nice drives through the mtns or to Lake Rabun & close to North Carolina

Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 PM

876 posts, read 2,007,764 times
As previously mentioned, I think finding jobs for you would be difficult as outsiders in all the areas in North Georgia. Most of North GA is generally populated by retirees and / or people making low wage. You may do better to live in Atlanta's exurban communities near the mountains like Cherokee, Hall or Forsyth counties which are nestled near the mountains, but not quite as far north as you may like. Another option is to live near Chattanooga where there are more jobs than there are in the rural parts of North Georgia.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:43 PM

567 posts, read 1,022,152 times
Don't move to any NGA town "looking" for work, you probably won't find it. Have work before you move. Not much construction going on right now, lots of retired people who are just trying to enjoy life.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 PM

77 posts, read 266,212 times
Have you considered Dawson County? It seems to fit a lot of your criteria, but it's perhaps not as secluded as you were thinking of. Also, you might consider the south part of Lumpkin County, although the school system is not rated nearly as highly as Dawson's. PM me if I can answer more specific questions - I'm fairly familiar with this area from the perspective of a mover because we are about to move into Dawson County.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 PM

26 posts, read 44,717 times
I will definitely check out everyone's suggestions, thanks for answering and being so thorough! Maybe north Georgia isn't in the cards for my family after all

Old 07-17-2010, 02:18 PM

242 posts, read 540,535 times
If you are looking for work you need to do far NW GA more then NE unless you can make low wage. NW has lower mountains, but you can work in Chattanooga and make better wage then trying to be high up in NE GA and trying to find work.
Some of the mountain drives can be annoying though in the brunt of NW GA if you want to get a cabin. Actually you'd probably end up in DeKalb County, Alabama if you want a cabin on the mountain. For living on a mountain North Carolina would be better however some of them for sure get a lot of snow and work would be harder to get there.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,314 times
I suggest you check out NE GA around Helen, Cleveland (home of the cabbage patch baby) Clarksville, Demorest areas. No crime, no traffic. Moved here 5 yrs ago from central FL.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,232 times
Suggest you check across the state line to Seneca, Clemson, Easley and Greenville SC. Gas is cheaper, living costs same. Clemson home of Clemson Univ. and if you like sports - the place to be. Greenville written up as one of the top 100 places to live in the US. All of these towns/cities near NC border and near to mountains. Many lakes in area - Hartwell Lake - once largest lake by shoreline east of MS. Large lake north or Seneca. Cliffs courses developed by Cliffs Communities north of Greenville - by Gary Player, Jack Nicolas (sp?) and course under development by Tiger Woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or