U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 11:46 AM

30 posts, read 50,147 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I live in Cherokee county and wanted to get a go kart. It would have reverse, lights, and 150cc or 250cc engine type. GoCartWholesalers .com has the types if you want to see what I am talking about.

My question is are they legal to drive in subdivisions? (I guess legal and what happens are two different things )

Where can I find laws on where you can drive them and do you need tags and such?

I know in my subdivision people drive Golf karts all the time. I can't see why a go kart would be different.

Anyone know please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 12:06 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,441,127 times
I think one difference would be that a golf cart doesn't sound like a lawnmower cruising through the subdivision, and it also moves a lot slower than a 150-250cc gokart would. I can't tell you what the laws are regarding them, but I can tell you that I'd be extremely unhappy if someone was cruising around my subdivision with one, endangering my kids- especially if I later found out that they weren't supposed to be on the road.

Bob

Old 06-22-2007, 12:12 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,286,054 times
Also go carts are much lower to the ground than a golf cart...if someone was backing out of their driveway, they may not be able to see you in their rear view mirror....
Go carts are not street legal...now the big baja looking go carts, I have no idea about those.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 PM

168 posts, read 578,061 times
Last time I checked, it wasn't legal. They don't have turn signals, mirrors, wipers, windshields etc, can't be licensed, and can't be seen, as the last poster said. People get pretty upset when someone starts blasting around the n'hood every weekend making noise.

A golf cart is neither a serious hazard or a noise nuisance. Unless someone's kids are driving them.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 AM

30 posts, read 50,147 times
Just rain all over my paraid

Well I wouldn't drive fast, but I am not sure how loud one is. Thanks all for the advice. If noise isn't a factor I can't see any reason not to drive one in the subD unless there is rule and I haven't seen one

Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM

321 posts, read 1,446,846 times
Stay out of my neighborhood if you're in one of those. Unfortunately, we do have several that go zipping around, mostly ridden by teenagers (and younger!), and I've seen quite a few times when they've gone around corners on two wheels. They don't stop at intersections either. Sorry, but I don't see anybody driving one in a safe and courteous manner, so they need to go to a track where they are legal. BTW, there is a go-kart track in Cherokee County -- look it up.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:24 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,286,054 times
We have a little Carter Turbo Turtle go cart for our kids and it has a lawnmower engine and it sounds like a lawnmower... My little ones put around in the backyard on it. You can literally outwalk the fastest speed it has! LOL...but we have a huge fenced in back yard and they have more than enough room to ride it.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:14 AM

168 posts, read 578,061 times
Cactus, if your n'hood has covenants, it'll have a covenant against "any activity that is unlawful, or is/becomes a nuisance." Keep in mind that most people would like to have a go cart, but have already nixed the idea in favor of the "do unto others" rule.

Also, if one person does it, the next thing you know, several families in your n'hood get theirs, and they're all putting around in whatever noisy critter they think is cool. If you care about your n'bors opinion of you, imagine how it will be when they peg you as the ringleader. Do yourself a good turn and stick with a track.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 45,879 times
search google for georgia kart.
you can do sprint and oval karting in GA without annoying neighbors

Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 PM

1,460 posts, read 4,485,151 times
This is one of the reasons to live in a subdivision with a strong HOA. If anyone drove a go-kart in my neighborhood I would lose my mind!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or