Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,582 times

Advertisements

I might be relocating to the Ashburn/Perry/Macon area and just wanted some honest feedback. I'm 38 and currently live in Indy. I've always liked the south but I know visiting and living are totally different. Any input on entertainment, shopping, cost of living, crime rate, population density, and which areas are rural as opposed to suburban. I don't have to live in the city but don't want to have to drive forever to get to events either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
It would be helpful if you list your housing budget and what type of job market you are looking for as well.

P.S... there is not need to put so many "???????" in your subject line - people WILL answer you.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:40 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,936 times
Perry, Georgia is a great place to move, its home to one of the largest fairs in the southeast, its very family oriented, and I would have to say a greta place to raise children, the area is seeing alot of road construction but dont let that influence your decision, the city is also growing, and its not to far from Macon, Georgia, which provides most of this areas entertainment. The drive from Perry to the Macon Coliseum ( the largest entertainment venure in Middle Georgia ) is about 20-30 minutes, and thats without all the construction that is going on in Macon at the I-75, I-475 merger. Crime is relatively low in Perry, and most of the city is primarily rural. Perry is a small town, but with all the growth that Warner Robins is seeing the building of many suburbs could reach into Perry.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,657 times
Default Relocating

I am originally from GA, but I have been living out west for about four years. I have been to the perry fair, but never just looking for a place to stay. So what area's are good places for kids or a family. How is the crime rate there! Also, do they have charter schools?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:45 PM

22 posts, read 145,291 times
i AM originally from Perry-- and my entire family still resides there!! i will always consider it to be home but, it has grown up quite a bit!! I agree w/ the MayorofMacon- i honestly believe that Perry has seen a lot of growth due to the Air Force Base in Warner Robins. Airmen are residing in Perry and the surrounding area to escape the "city" life. I believe that crime has increased SLIGHTLY due to the increase in population but, i have NEVER felt unsafe in Perry. There are around 5 elementary schools there, one middle school and one high school. So, even the schools have experienced overcrowding due to one highschool having to accomodate EVERY elem/middle school. i do know that Perry Middle is fairly new (being about 6 yrs old) and Perry High was renovated just recently-though, i havent seen it.
There are a few private schools in the Middle Ga area but, Westfield is the ONLY one that i can recall being in Perry. I have known ppl who attended Westfield and i have never heard anything bad-except w/ the mentionings that it was strict.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... stay out of Peach County!! (Byron, Ft. Valley) the schools are horrible (imo) and its not a place i would suggest living!!
Let me know if you need anything!! i am in town about once a month so, everytime i come to visit--something else is built/moved/changed/etc.. but, ill still try to help!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:43 PM

There are many private schools in middle georgia several in fifteen in Macon alone such as Mount de Sales, FPD, Progressive, Windsor Academy, Gilead Christian Academy, Tattnall Square Academy, Stratford Academy, First Presybterian, and St. Peter Clever.

There is also the Montessori of Macon which is located on Forest Hill Road the school has great design plans all over the internet displaying there Capital program (an effort to raise money to build a great new facility). If anyone knows more on the Montessori of Macon could you relay the information to everyone here.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:09 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
Quote:
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... stay out of Peach County!! (Byron, Ft. Valley) the schools are horrible (imo) and its not a place i would suggest living!!
You are incorrect...some parts of Peach County has excellent schools. My children attend Byron Elementary and we have lived in Byron for 6 years. Now Fort Valley would be a different story as far as elementary/middle schools go. But Peach County High Schools test rankings were right there with Houston County High Schools, in fact, we did alot better than alot of the high schools in Houston County. If you need proof go look up schoolmatters.com (a division of Standard & Poor's school rankings).

Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 AM

Yes leavingbyron is correct I remember the Macon Telegraph doing a release on that, but im not to sure of whether we're lookin at grades, violence, or school architecture and structures. All three have entirely different stories to them.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:42 AM

177 posts, read 221,497 times
I`m hoping with the projected growth in Byron that it will become an entity to itself....without the "leech" of Forth Valley hanging on it. I absolutely detest Fort Valley and wouldnt live there if you gave me property and paid me to live on it. Its almost as bad as living in Macon.....

Old 12-29-2007, 12:53 PM

If Macon is so bad to you, tell me whats a good city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia