U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:21 AM

985 posts, read 5,363,950 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean. Zillow is new company so their record is not complete. I find most properties I interested in are in their system. Also, there are several other similiar websites (I don't remember now) that lists square feet. So I was able to get my info.

Last edited by jxu66; 06-23-2007 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 12:08 PM

670 posts, read 2,767,331 times
I wonder why they don't say "approximately X square feet" because then there is not an exact number? I know when the first realtor we had and fired listed our last home we sold she had it as 6 bedroom 3 bath and 3 living areas, it was 5 bedrooms with 2 living areas. I wonder if what she did was illegal not just a mistake (we chalked it up to a careless mistake at the time).

Old 06-23-2007, 12:25 PM

276 posts, read 1,043,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Zillow lists the square feet. All you need is to do is typing the property's address.
what is zillow?
Thanks
Lisa

Old 06-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLarry View Post
Why are there no references to square footage on any houses in Georgia?

Somebody must have sued somebody for a ton-o-cash!
Here is the website for Zillow. I did find out what it actual is by google.
It has quite a bit of good info on the site..Good Luck
Zillow
Lisa

Last edited by jxu66; 06-23-2007 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-23-2007, 01:22 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,798,751 times
Default No to Zillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Here is the website for Zillow. I did find out what it actual is by google.
It has quite a bit of good info on the site..Good Luck
Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information
Lisa
Take the info that Zillow gives with a grain of salt. While there is some good info about certain things on their site, there is A LOT of inaccurate info on homes there.

One day for the heck of it, we looked up our homes in the office where I work. Not one single one of them were correct, and in some cases, there were large mistakes. Now, in the case of my home, I could halfway understand it as there were two additions to my home by previous owners - they were however, over 20 years ago, so I would think SHOULD have showed up on zillow, but didn't. It gave the original 1965 date it was built info on my house and none of the updates. I have also had my home appraised twice and the zillow value was $40,000 lower than the appraisers gave me.

It was worse for the other workers because most of them had never had any extensions or add-ons to their homes since they were built, and the zillow site showed all of of them has having less square footage than they had, in some cases fewer bathrooms than they have, and always a value that was less than they had been appraised for. I later tried some relative's homes out of state and again, the info was incorrect on every one of them. I emailed zillow to ask (politely) why there were so many LARGE errors on their site, but never received a reply.

I hear people talk about zillow a lot and am surprised more people haven't yet figured out how inaccurate their info is. Again, they have certain other types if info on the site that I suppose could be helpful to home buyers, but I would definately not recommend them to people who need square footage info, value price info, or even to find out the number of bathrooms, etc. on a property.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:28 PM

18 posts, read 81,187 times
From what I've heard (oh, oh here we go ) years ago someone bought a home, primarily based on the square footage that was listed on the listing. When he tried to sell it, an appraisal came back listing the square footage less than what he thought it was. He sued (I don't know who, the realtor, original appraiser, county??) and I think his argument was successful because he stated that he paid X amount of dollars per square foot and he did not get what he paid for.

When we were looking at homes in GA, the lack of square footage on the house listings was frustrating because we were used to seeing that. Of course, the square footage could just be a bunch of wasted space. Now on new construction, most times I have seen the square footage listed on their model plans.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:30 PM

137 posts, read 397,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLarry View Post
Isn't an appraisal needed to fund a loan? And aren't appraisals partially based on (and therefore include) the square footage?
It comes down to laziness, Larry!

Apprasisals are supposed to cover footage, but they don't always. At best you may get a rough idea how many acres you have!
The acres guess appraisers make is usually pretty close though!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Take the info that Zillow gives with a grain of salt. While there is some good info about certain things on their site, there is A LOT of inaccurate info on homes there.

One day for the heck of it, we looked up our homes in the office where I work. Not one single one of them were correct, and in some cases, there were large mistakes. Now, in the case of my home, I could halfway understand it as there were two additions to my home by previous owners - they were however, over 20 years ago, so I would think SHOULD have showed up on zillow, but didn't. It gave the original 1965 date it was built info on my house and none of the updates. I have also had my home appraised twice and the zillow value was $40,000 lower than the appraisers gave me.

It was worse for the other workers because most of them had never had any extensions or add-ons to their homes since they were built, and the zillow site showed all of of them has having less square footage than they had, in some cases fewer bathrooms than they have, and always a value that was less than they had been appraised for. I later tried some relative's homes out of state and again, the info was incorrect on every one of them. I emailed zillow to ask (politely) why there were so many LARGE errors on their site, but never received a reply.

I hear people talk about zillow a lot and am surprised more people haven't yet figured out how inaccurate their info is. Again, they have certain other types if info on the site that I suppose could be helpful to home buyers, but I would definately not recommend them to people who need square footage info, value price info, or even to find out the number of bathrooms, etc. on a property.
I was just following up on what I found on zillow. I am not suggesting that anyone take it as absolute fact. The only way to know what sq footage is (and it be accurate) is tax records or go to the clerks office to look at the blueprints....I was just giving the web address as it wasnt listed. I did find alot of info on the site that I found helpful but sq footage to me is important and I am using zillow as a base not as absolute..it gives me an idea if the houses that I am questioning are even remotely close to the size I need for my family. Its just another tool in the search for what we are looking for in a home in GA...Good luck all
Lisa

Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownshoe View Post
From what I've heard (oh, oh here we go ) years ago someone bought a home, primarily based on the square footage that was listed on the listing. When he tried to sell it, an appraisal came back listing the square footage less than what he thought it was. He sued (I don't know who, the realtor, original appraiser, county??) and I think his argument was successful because he stated that he paid X amount of dollars per square foot and he did not get what he paid for.

When we were looking at homes in GA, the lack of square footage on the house listings was frustrating because we were used to seeing that. Of course, the square footage could just be a bunch of wasted space. Now on new construction, most times I have seen the square footage listed on their model plans.
Yes I have heard this same senario when answering my questions about this subject. I also have had no such issue with builders etc..I have always been able to see sq footage and I for one will not buy a house until I see blueprints that way I know I am getting what I pay for especially considering most list houses for sale as per sq footage (breakdown)...Thanks and Have a good weekend...Happy house hunting all...Lisa

Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,275,403 times
Guess my realtor's breaking the law because she has square footage posted on all her listings (through the MLS & her website).
I think it's shady if an agent can't at least tell you the approx square footage (law or not).
I'm not about to make an offer on a home I don't know the square footage of. Calculating price per square foot is one way to tell if you're getting ripped off....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or