U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:16 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,129,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Unfortunately when we moved here and started to look, none of the neighborhoods were available through Zillow so that's not always an option.
I use 3 sites mainly.
Moderator cut: Removed as a general search

Moderator cut: Removed <-make sure you have 'altanta' and choose the older site
when you go to search on the bottom of the page there's a red link that lets you search by neighborhood. This is very nice

zillow - square footage as people mentioned but you can also see when it was last purchase and how much for. This one or trulia also has days on the market.

Last edited by xxman777; 07-03-2007 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Commercial links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM

485 posts, read 1,367,309 times
I have an interesting anecdote regarding quoted sq. footage. I owned a house not in GA that was listed on the county tax rolls as being 1298 sq. ft. It was obvious to anyone who walked into the house that it was considerably bigger, but we didn't complain since it meant lower taxes. When we went to sell the house, we had some difficulty because some people refused to look at the house since they only went by the incorrect tax listing. We said that the house was 1750 sq. ft. according to our measurements. Recently, I saw that the same house with no additions or modifications is listed for sale with a quoted sq. footage of 1970 sq. ft. I call it the amazing growing house.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 PM

670 posts, read 2,774,700 times
See for me, coming from states that do show it, I simply don't look at houses that don't meet that criteria. I know within a 500 square foot measurement what is going to work and what isn't for us because I do realize that floorplan has a lot to do with it, but if it isn't listed I assume that it is either too small or has tiny rooms and I don't even bother.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:18 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,531,836 times
Well, USAmom, then you won't be buying any real estate in Georgia. Eventhough its not the law in Georgia, enough realtors are convinced that it is, so they don't state the square footage on listings. There may be a few that list estimates, but by and large this ain't the way it's done in Georgia.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 PM

10 posts, read 41,865 times
USAMom dont let that stop you from viewing a home, you really have to view a home to really know what will work for you or not don't let a error filled listing stop you from viewing or pursuing your potentially perfect home.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Well, USAmom, then you won't be buying any real estate in Georgia. Eventhough its not the law in Georgia, enough realtors are convinced that it is, so they don't state the square footage on listings. There may be a few that list estimates, but by and large this ain't the way it's done in Georgia.
No I won't.

I don't see why they can't put in approximate square feet because at least in the 3 states we've owned real estate until the survey is in, it's all heresay anyway.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,531,836 times
USAmom - It's just because that's the way they do it in Georgia.

I'm from Florida. I'm also used to looking at houses in terms of square footage. When I went to buy a house in N. Georgia, I had to re-learn a few things; the square footage thing being just one of several. I also found out that Georgia doesn't let title companies do closings - must be done by attorneys. Who pays for what at a closing is different than the way it is in Florida. Inspection periods and other things under the contract were also different enough to get the back hairs up on my neck a little.

But, guess what. I came to the conclusion that THIS IS GEORGIA. I'm not going to change the way they do it in Georgia. The more you protest about "this isn't the way they do it in NewYorkida or Calichusets" the less likely it is that you will end up with what you want. And, I really wanted that little house in N. Georgia. So, I figured out how they do it in Georgia. Took the measurements of the house myself. Factored in the "added costs" of closing into my offer price, and I came out just fine.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks Prichard. I do realize that because we've moved around a lot, but this is not the only thing about the state that I find different and the differences for me are too many and we're moving out of state hopefully September/October.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 AM

81 posts, read 326,302 times
It is not a state law. The Athens Ga MLS actually requires that the square footage be placed on MLS. Both GA MLS and FMLS which service Atlanta and have rules - not laws- that forbid agents to put the square footage on their systems.

It does seem silly, doesn't it! I'm really glad I work mostly in Athens!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:14 PM

91 posts, read 449,366 times
Drove us nuts when we were searching for a house online from NJ.
That's all any1 looks at up there. How many rooms, Bathrooms and whats the sq ft.
We were told that a costly lawsuit by someone suing cause the quoted Sq Ft. was incorrect at closing, or something to that affect.
It supposedly turned the industry away from quoting Sq Ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or