U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Forsyth County
88 posts, read 480,897 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galightman View Post
USAMom dont let that stop you from viewing a home, you really have to view a home to really know what will work for you or not don't let a error filled listing stop you from viewing or pursuing your potentially perfect home.
I disagree. A 2500 sq ft home with 5 bedrooms is not the same as a 5000 sq ft home with 5 bedrooms. Marketing a 5 bedroom home without listing sq ft is bs and a waste of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2007, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 2,774,700 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsyth-Online View Post
I disagree. A 2500 sq ft home with 5 bedrooms is not the same as a 5000 sq ft home with 5 bedrooms. Marketing a 5 bedroom home without listing sq ft is bs and a waste of time!
Exactly. To find something COMPARABLE to the 3000+ square foot custom-built David Weekley I had in Dallas I had to scour all over the place, pay about $200K more with the options I had before (our house there was built in 2004), and there is a HUGE difference between the 1700-2000 square foot homes I was being shown in the price range of only $50K more than I had in Dallas which are 30+ year old homes, which IMO skews results because while you *can* buy a 5 bed/2 bath (we never did see a 3 full bath) in Georgia it is NOT comparable to what we had there. And yes I am moving back.

I just think it would be more honest and progressive to state square footage so someone else thinking of moving from the midwest or other regions of the country would know the TRUE cost of real estate before they get here. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Forsyth County
88 posts, read 480,897 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Exactly. To find something COMPARABLE to the 3000+ square foot custom-built David Weekley I had in Dallas I had to scour all over the place, pay about $200K more with the options I had before (our house there was built in 2004), and there is a HUGE difference between the 1700-2000 square foot homes I was being shown in the price range of only $50K more than I had in Dallas which are 30+ year old homes, which IMO skews results because while you *can* buy a 5 bed/2 bath (we never did see a 3 full bath) in Georgia it is NOT comparable to what we had there. And yes I am moving back.

I just think it would be more honest and progressive to state square footage so someone else thinking of moving from the midwest or other regions of the country would know the TRUE cost of real estate before they get here. Live and learn.
Ahhh... A Dallasite! LOL I'm from Dallas too and homes here do not compare. It's a builder's market here and by not quoting square footage it is hard to tell which corners were cut. In Dallas it was price/sq foot and if it was higher in one home over another then I would expect more upgrades, granite, custom tile etc.

Are you moving back to Dallas or Atlanta? I couldn't quite tell from your last post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 2,774,700 times
Reputation: 202
Dallas and I can't wait. I've heard Darling and Drees are taking $50-60K off spec homes and since we're there for the long haul, that would be great. Plus it will be nice not to have a storage unit for half our stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Forsyth County
88 posts, read 480,897 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Dallas and I can't wait. I've heard Darling and Drees are taking $50-60K off spec homes and since we're there for the long haul, that would be great. Plus it will be nice not to have a storage unit for half our stuff.
I really like Darling homes. Murphy Custom Homes are wonderful and there are up in the Frisco/McKinney area. It is a family biz and if you do look make sure to go with Kim and Richard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 2,774,700 times
Reputation: 202
I'll take note of that. We are going to rent for a year or so because my husband wants to go REALLY custom this time and we want to be debt-free except for a mortgage before we purchase, but never too early to research I've not heard of Murphy Homes so I'm going to go poke around a bit. Thanks!

ETA: Thanks! I found their website and I love the look of their homes. Right now it's out of the question, but they look quality and will definitely be poking around more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 04:45 PM
 
Location: College Park, GA
111 posts, read 499,125 times
Reputation: 39
Hi everyone, I'm actually in the process of moving to Atl with my wife. (We're newlyweds)

All the information in this forum is terffic so I felt the need to share what I've found as well.

If you know the actual address of the place you're looking to buy, you can find square footage at the county.

For Fulton county: Fulton County (http://www.fultonassessor.org/Forms/Datalets.aspx?mode=PROFILEALL&taxyear=2007&ownseq= 1&jur=&sIndex=4&idx=1&LMparent=20 - broken link)

I don't know sites for other counties, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. A lot of counties have made records available online, you just have to dig.

Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 07:33 PM
 
214 posts, read 1,802,166 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoufromNewYork View Post
Hi everyone, I'm actually in the process of moving to Atl with my wife. (We're newlyweds)

All the information in this forum is terffic so I felt the need to share what I've found as well.

If you know the actual address of the place you're looking to buy, you can find square footage at the county.

For Fulton county: Fulton County (http://www.fultonassessor.org/Forms/Datalets.aspx?mode=PROFILEALL&taxyear=2007&ownseq= 1&jur=&sIndex=4&idx=1&LMparent=20 - broken link)

I don't know sites for other counties, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. A lot of counties have made records available online, you just have to dig.

Have a great day.
Yes, Henry County has them on their website too (under Tax Assessor I think it is)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Athens, Ga
81 posts, read 326,302 times
Reputation: 52
Many of the counties have them online now, but be careful! Most of them include any finished basement area in their calculation of living area and the appraisal will only include above ground footage as gross living area. The appraiser will consider the basement seperate at at a much lower $/square foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 PM
 
Location: CA
2,464 posts, read 5,955,657 times
Reputation: 2611
My husband and I are considering a move to N. Atlanta and we noticed the lack of square footage on listings. So, we just ask for room: 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, a big kitchen, finished basement, attic, laundry room, 2-3 car garage... it's hard to fit all that in 1500 sq ft. It's more likely a house that size would be 2 or 3 thousand sq. ft. or more. I also estimate by the pictures... it sucks that we have to do it that way. It's easier to compare comps via dollars per sq ft. But Georgia is making us do it the hard way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top