Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A BONUS room in East Cobb is simply the space above a garage, which is converted into living space. These rooms are mostly for on-slab homes. Drive-unders generally don't have them. Bonus rooms are hard to heat and cool, very difficult to decorate, just plain awkward, and are best for unwanted guests and/or a free-4-all room for kids. If you are considering a house with this feature, RUN !!!
We have TWO bonus rooms and they are heated/cooled very easily and effectively and stays same temp as the rest of the house.
However, we have over 3000 sq ft (no basement) so we have 2 heating/cooling units.
WE finished out our bonus rooms and made sure it was well insulated, though. These rooms were not finished when we bought our house.

I LOVE my extra rooms, as do our kids and my hubby that now has an office!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 AM

138 posts, read 623,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Agreed that a bonus room is usually a room over the garage, but the rest is just ridiculous! It depends on the house. Sometimes it's called a bonus room because building codes don't allow a bedroom over a garage. Doesn't mean you can't use it as a bedroom. Ask your real estate agent.
Very true. We have huge bonus room above our garage that we are going to turn into a bedroom with an added closet. And we aren't on a slab.

You have to also make sure your septic system (if you are on septic) can handle the extra room.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobark View Post
Janet:
A BONUS room in East Cobb is simply the space above a garage, which is converted into living space. These rooms are mostly for on-slab homes. Drive-unders generally don't have them. Bonus rooms are hard to heat and cool, very difficult to decorate, just plain awkward, and are best for unwanted guests and/or a free-4-all room for kids. If you are considering a house with this feature, RUN !!!

I just don't understand this comment at all. We have a bonus room, with a closet, it's very simple to heat and cool and I have twin boys who share the room. It's perfect for them, huge! I love a bonus room. I have a 3 bedroom house, plus a bonus, but even if I had 4 bedrooms, I'd still put the twins in it. It's the perfect room for a playroom or bedroom, or a hobby room. Plus, kids like the shape of the room. It's not difficult to decorate, only takes some imagination.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 11,443 times
Now I am confused. I live in Atlanta. I thought a bonus room was a room without a closet. I have 2 rooms with closets over my garage but they termed those bedrooms. I have a very large room on the same second floor and they call it a bonus room. I also have a Master Suite below on the main level and an unfinished basement below the main level. I can only assume a lack of a closet makes it a bonus room. Would a wardrobe installed and mounted to the wall make it a bedroom??

Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 PM

214 posts, read 1,981,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panama View Post
Now I am confused. I live in Atlanta. I thought a bonus room was a room without a closet. I have 2 rooms with closets over my garage but they termed those bedrooms. I have a very large room on the same second floor and they call it a bonus room. I also have a Master Suite below on the main level and an unfinished basement below the main level. I can only assume a lack of a closet makes it a bonus room. Would a wardrobe installed and mounted to the wall make it a bedroom??
when we bought our house it was listed as a 4 bedroom even though on the appraisel it says it is a 3 bedroom. our 4th is an obvious bonus room finished (poorly) by a previous owner. it does have a closet though.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:40 PM

201 posts, read 1,122,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamarie View Post
when we bought our house it was listed as a 4 bedroom even though on the appraisel it says it is a 3 bedroom. our 4th is an obvious bonus room finished (poorly) by a previous owner. it does have a closet though.
What did you do with the room besides use the closet? Did you convert it to another type of room?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:35 PM

214 posts, read 1,981,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
What did you do with the room besides use the closet? Did you convert it to another type of room?
We use it for storage, have a queen bed in it for guests to use, and a tv and treadmill. When we have the vents open the rest of the house does not stay as cool so when we do not have guests we keep the door closed and vents closed.

Oh, we also have the cat litter box in there and a cat door on the door. I guess you would say it is a multipurpose room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia