U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 PM
 
1,474 posts, read 3,174,582 times
Reputation: 2056

Advertisements

It is interesting that the original post was June 2007 and here the discussion continues. Young friend reports that the Tifton area is a huge speed trap on the interstate. Fines are doubled even though there are no workers in the construction area and the person stopped does not get to see the radar reading because it is still up the road waiting for the next "speeder". I have no idea of the truth of this, but it is being run by local police out of Tifton. Of course anyone who gets a ticket is convinced it is in a speed trap. Best slow down big time in Tifton area though.

Personally, I take the alternate roads but then I am not in a hurry to get to Florida or anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,126 times
Reputation: 12
Whose idea was it to make I-75 so hideous south of Macon? Driving up from Florida, the contrast is startling--south of the border, there's a wide green median and more trees than ads along the shoulders. From Valdosta up to Macon, 75 has become a charmless concrete juggernaut, flanked by double-decker billboards with little space between them and little taste to them. It's no better along the once pretty shoulders of the roadway. Between the constant calls to stop by for porn, pecans and flesh pressing, one can barely see the farmland anymore. The sign at the Florida border should be edited to read, "We're glad Georgia is on your mind; we Georgians are out of ours."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 AM
 
6,351 posts, read 19,725,431 times
Reputation: 9933
Quote:
Originally Posted by bripearce View Post
... "We're glad Georgia is on your mind; we Georgians are out of ours."
I LIKE it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 8,412,428 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by bripearce View Post
Whose idea was it to make I-75 so hideous south of Macon? Driving up from Florida, the contrast is startling--south of the border, there's a wide green median and more trees than ads along the shoulders. From Valdosta up to Macon, 75 has become a charmless concrete juggernaut, flanked by double-decker billboards with little space between them and little taste to them. It's no better along the once pretty shoulders of the roadway. Between the constant calls to stop by for porn, pecans and flesh pressing, one can barely see the farmland anymore. The sign at the Florida border should be edited to read, "We're glad Georgia is on your mind; we Georgians are out of ours."
I can only assume it was cheaper to add lanes on the inside, as expanding outward would've required rebuilding all of the overpasses. Some of them were actually jack up several inches to add vertical clearance.

Building inward required that terrible wall though.

Just be glad you didn't have to live through it; 12 years start to finish in valdosta to add two lanes in a 30-mile stretch; bankrupt contractors, funding shortages, contract disputes, and a governor that refused to answer questions about it. We lived with a two-lane interstate (one lane each direction) for several years. I witnessed several fatalities happen in front of me, including watching a truck driver burn to death. And I somehow made it out of a pile-up through a one-lane stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 PM
 
132 posts, read 231,504 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bripearce View Post
Whose idea was it to make I-75 so hideous south of Macon? Driving up from Florida, the contrast is startling--south of the border, there's a wide green median and more trees than ads along the shoulders. From Valdosta up to Macon, 75 has become a charmless concrete juggernaut, flanked by double-decker billboards with little space between them and little taste to them. It's no better along the once pretty shoulders of the roadway. Between the constant calls to stop by for porn, pecans and flesh pressing, one can barely see the farmland anymore. The sign at the Florida border should be edited to read, "We're glad Georgia is on your mind; we Georgians are out of ours."
A good question, and it's disgusting really. The endless, unnecessary billboards get very old, very quickly, and what's with all the porn ones, seriously??? The interstate itself is smooth, but we would all prefer pine trees, cotton fields, rolling hills and farmland to crappy,nonsense-covered canvas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,368 posts, read 18,728,307 times
Reputation: 15021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAstudent View Post
A good question, and it's disgusting really. The endless, unnecessary billboards get very old, very quickly, and what's with all the porn ones, seriously??? The interstate itself is smooth, but we would all prefer pine trees, cotton fields, rolling hills and farmland to crappy,nonsense-covered canvas.
Georgia has much more lax billboard standards compared to other states. Regulating billboards more would probably lead to cries of "socialism."

Good news: The bumpy segment of I-75 in Houston and Dooly Counties that I was talking about is about to get reconstructed. They're moving in temporary barriers between MM 127 and about MM 116 or so. Apparently they're rebuilding that part first, and the rest of it down to MM 106 will be rebuilt afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM
 
2,399 posts, read 3,681,092 times
Reputation: 1280
I don't like the proliferation of billboards along Georgia's interstates, particularly I-75 and I-85. I-75 in southern and middle Georgia seems to be the worst. How many times must the state look trashy to outsiders with the words, "Strippers: Need we say more"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 08:07 PM
 
132 posts, read 231,504 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Regulating billboards more would probably lead to cries of "socialism."

.
Yes, very true but unfortunately that mentality seems to stifle more than a few good ideas that are not 'socialism' but common sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,862 posts, read 15,236,053 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Georgia has much more lax billboard standards compared to other states. Regulating billboards more would probably lead to cries of "socialism."
If you go to Tennessee, the ride on I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville is great, and there are very few billboards. You can hardly accuse TN of being a "socialist" state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 8,412,428 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If you go to Tennessee, the ride on I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville is great, and there are very few billboards. You can hardly accuse TN of being a "socialist" state.
that's because chattanooga does all their advertising on billboards in south georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top