Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 PM

94 posts, read 386,250 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about Thomasville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I have a good friend that is a native of Thomasville; my take on the town is that if you want to find a vestige of 'The Old South' in GA, you'll find it there. Thomasville is the unofficial capital of the 'Plantation' region of the state...it's surrounded by the large and elegant old hunting plantations that wealthy northerners maintained from the the late 19th century...some are still active, some are maintained as museums.
Besides that, I think T'ville is best known for it's annual Rose Festival.

www.downtownthomasville.com

Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,240 times
You Should Move here. Great people, Great life!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmom View Post
Anyone know anything about Thomasville?

I don't know anything about the history or the demographics of Thomasville, but I can tell you the town was a very good-looking town when I was there in the late '90s. I was very, very impressed with the looks of the town.

I drove through the town coming home to Atlanta from a trip to Florida including Tallahassee.

Thomasville seems to be highly-rated as a retirement destination in retirement books. I just read a complimentary article the other day.

As I recall the terrain of Thomasville is fairly flat. That's what I remember. Suprisingly Tallahassee, a few miles to the south, had a few hills which is very unusual for a Florida city. I remember one big hill near the university.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post

As I recall the terrain of Thomasville is fairly flat. That's what I remember. Suprisingly Tallahassee, a few miles to the south, had a few hills which is very unusual for a Florida city. I remember one big hill near the university.

southern brooks, thomas, and grady counties in GA, along with northern leon, jefferson, and gadsden, FL, have areas that are quite hilly. especially around chattahoochee, fl, which is the southern tip of lake seminole on the GA/FL line. You don't see much of the hills when driving on the major highways except in the city of Tallahassee. We have beautiful terrain in this area, but you won't find it unless you hit some 2-lane roads.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
Thomasville is my favorite Southwest Georgia town. Lots of great old beautiful homes. If I recall correctly, many of the old homes were built for retirees in the late 19th century or even longer ago because the major passenger railroad would end in Thomasville. This city is definitely worth a visit just to drive around and see all the old homes.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
southern brooks, thomas, and grady counties in GA, along with northern leon, jefferson, and gadsden, FL, have areas that are quite hilly. especially around chattahoochee, fl, which is the southern tip of lake seminole on the GA/FL line. You don't see much of the hills when driving on the major highways except in the city of Tallahassee. We have beautiful terrain in this area, but you won't find it unless you hit some 2-lane roads.

About 40 miles ( plus or minus ) southeast of Tallahassee the terrain changes from the boring Florida flatness to rolling hills a bit.

I do remember that big hill in Tallahassee. It was a fairly long steep decline.

Maybe the ice age didn't flatten that part of Florida and Georgia?

Old 08-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
About 40 miles ( plus or minus ) southeast of Tallahassee the terrain changes from the boring Florida flatness to rolling hills a bit.

I do remember that big hill in Tallahassee. It was a fairly long steep decline.

Maybe the ice age didn't flatten that part of Florida and Georgia?
Trying to think of where exactly you're talking about.

40 miles southeast would put you around Perry, just a few miles off the coast. That's near our gulf property and its all pretty flat.

I'm curious exactly where you were because I'd like to see it also.

I'm not sure why certain areas in the region weren't left flat, but the hilly areas are quite beautiful, especially those lined with oaks.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Trying to think of where exactly you're talking about.

40 miles southeast would put you around Perry, just a few miles off the coast. That's near our gulf property and its all pretty flat.

I'm curious exactly where you were because I'd like to see it also.

I'm not sure why certain areas in the region weren't left flat, but the hilly areas are quite beautiful, especially those lined with oaks.

On this particular trip I had been down in Sarasota. I decided on the way home to Atlanta I would drive through Tallahassee.

The road I took up to Tallahassee was 19/98. It's a 4-lane road with a grassy median, similar to 316 to Athens, and you drive through the various small Florida towns and stop at the stoplights. The stoplights and the lower speed limits do slow you down. This was the case in the late '90s.

Somewhere along on 19/98, southeast of Tallahassee, the flat terrain changes to gently rolling hills a bit. I can't pinpoint the exact place on 19/98, but I thought it was around 40 miles from Tallahassee. It might have been south of Perry????

From the highway, I remember seeing one mobile home in a small ravine. I remember seeing hills, too.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
On this particular trip I had been down in Sarasota. I decided on the way home to Atlanta I would drive through Tallahassee.

The road I took up to Tallahassee was 19/98. It's a 4-lane road with a grassy median, similar to 316 to Athens, and you drive through the various small Florida towns and stop at the stoplights. The stoplights and the lower speed limits do slow you down. This was the case in the late '90s.

Somewhere along on 19/98, southeast of Tallahassee, the flat terrain changes to gently rolling hills a bit. I can't pinpoint the exact place on 19/98, but I thought it was around 40 miles from Tallahassee. It might have been south of Perry????

From the highway, I remember seeing one mobile home in a small ravine. I remember seeing hills, too.

I think I know where you're talking about; its a very short span that has rolling hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia