U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 PM

17 posts, read 111,361 times

Advertisements

Going to Newnan. I didn't know you had fireants! As much as FL? YUCK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 PM

214 posts, read 1,794,838 times
I don't let my daughter play in the backyard in sandals... has to wear sneakers/tennis shoes and socks! Plus she is deathly afraid of bugs so one look at a bug of any sort she runs (even the ones that are as small as dots!)

Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 PM

43 posts, read 203,287 times
I discovered the fire ants when I picked up a piece of New Sod in the yard. They were all over my arm in seconds. We tried several things from Home Depot that are supposed to get rid of them, but they just build a new mound a couple of feet away. Some of the mounds are huge.
We also had a scorpion in the kitchen last year, and then saw 2 in the basement this year. They to were smaller than the leathal ones in the desert, but I know what you mean about them being intimidating.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:38 PM

138 posts, read 636,425 times
Ok, where in Georgia are these scorpions?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM

214 posts, read 1,794,838 times
I live in Henry County but scorpions are everywhere in Georgia as far as I know. They live in the dirt outside so you don't see them often because they come out at night. If you work in the garden you may come across one here and there. If they do "attack" you it is supposed to be just like a bee sting. I did a little research online after I had that surprise the other night!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:30 PM

276 posts, read 1,043,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGal View Post
From what state are you moving? It took me a few years to get used to the way of life here. When someone would wave at us when we were in the front yard, I realized I didn't necessarily knew them, they were just being neighborly. I love the winters here. Summers can be exasperating. But, we do have a pool. Folks driving skills here are, how do I put this, well, everyone thinks they are NASCAR wanna-be's. One tip, if you are moving from snow country do not get rid of your winter clothes. In no time at all, your blood will thin and you will no longer be laughing at the people who wear gloves, hats and winter coats when it's just above freezing, you in time will fit right in.
Hi there,
What part of GA are you in now? I am considering moving from SWFL(I am origionally from NH) and am concerned about the weather in the winter..I dont own any winter things( I do laugh when ppl here in Fl break out the gloves, hats, coats when it is 40*) I am sure I will need to buy some of these items(at least for my daughter to wait for the bus in winter...I never wore coats etc back home even when it was nasty and raw cold....I can still hear my mom yelling at me ...lol........My blood is pretty thin now but it still doesnt bother me I do wear an occasional sweater or sweatshirt but other than that I dont see it neccessary(some would say I am crazy) I am not concerned with having winter I am just concerned about how cold it gets and if it is primarily during the evening/early am hours or if it is all day every day in winter as we used to have back home. I was told that it can be 70s in the winter months as well...so typically what is the weather like in normal months of winter(Dec-March) and how is the non winter months....say spring? I am looking in NE Gwinnett(Buford, Canton) and Woodtock in Cherekee County.
Thanks............

Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 PM

276 posts, read 1,043,009 times
Quote:
We also have fire ants, no seeums, and gnats. But oh well, I like it here anyway
Sounds like here in Fl...well no surprises there..Good...

Old 06-26-2007, 06:45 PM

138 posts, read 636,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Hi there,
What part of GA are you in now? I am considering moving from SWFL(I am origionally from NH) and am concerned about the weather in the winter..I dont own any winter things( I do laugh when ppl here in Fl break out the gloves, hats, coats when it is 40*) I am sure I will need to buy some of these items(at least for my daughter to wait for the bus in winter...I never wore coats etc back home even when it was nasty and raw cold....I can still hear my mom yelling at me ...lol........My blood is pretty thin now but it still doesnt bother me I do wear an occasional sweater or sweatshirt but other than that I dont see it neccessary(some would say I am crazy) I am not concerned with having winter I am just concerned about how cold it gets and if it is primarily during the evening/early am hours or if it is all day every day in winter as we used to have back home. I was told that it can be 70s in the winter months as well...so typically what is the weather like in normal months of winter(Dec-March) and how is the non winter months....say spring? I am looking in NE Gwinnett(Buford, Canton) and Woodtock in Cherekee County.
Thanks............

I live in Warner Robins which is 15 miles south of Macon. The winters here are nice and short. We are still going to football games in November and December in light jackets. It can get cold, in the 20s or so, but it's only a couple of nights and the days warm up nicely. I love seeing my daffodils coming up when I'm taking down my Christmas decorations. Truthfully, I only miss snow at Christmas, but that's it. I lived in Ohio for 36 years and soon 12in Georgia. If you do the math you'll figure out how old I am. North Georgia is cooler than we are in the winters for the most part. It can freeze rain in Atlanta and we just sit here chilling watching the crashes on the news.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:45 PM

483 posts, read 1,939,081 times
Quote:
Ok, where in Georgia are these scorpions?
All over. You'll never see them during winter, but they may come into the house in spring/summer. It's best if you wear flip-flops or something, rather than run around barefoot. If you step on one, they sting, but it is like being stuck with a needle, the pain goes away quickly. Not as bad a a bee sting, IMO.
But they sure are ugly.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM

483 posts, read 1,939,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
I am not concerned with having winter I am just concerned about how cold it gets and if it is primarily during the evening/early am hours or if it is all day every day in winter as we used to have back home. I was told that it can be 70s in the winter months as well...so typically what is the weather like in normal months of winter(Dec-March) and how is the non winter months....say spring? I am looking in NE Gwinnett(Buford, Canton) and Woodtock in Cherekee County.
Thanks............
I've seen it 12 below. And sometimes it can be 70. More commonly - last
winter, for example, we had a few nights in the teens, warming to around freezing by afternoon. Many more were 30-40 at night and 50's in the day.
Couple of light snows. I carry a down-filled jacket almost all winter, and wear it frequently during the day. It doesn't warm up very much, and there tends to be a lot of wind in winter. Schools close for snow days 3-5 times each winter. Yankees laugh at that, but school buses don't do well on ice-covered mountain roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia