U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:41 AM

37 posts, read 154,303 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Does anyone have any information of Butts County in general and the area around Jackson in particular?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 10:59 AM

214 posts, read 1,795,447 times
Yes, I work there. What would you like to know?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:29 PM

37 posts, read 154,303 times
Is it a good place to relocate? According to the data I found, the air quality and water quality seem to be very good. What, in your opinion, are the pluses and minuses of living there? Is public water and sewer connection available or do people have wells and septic tanks in their homes?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 10,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marijka View Post
Is it a good place to relocate? According to the data I found, the air quality and water quality seem to be very good. What, in your opinion, are the pluses and minuses of living there? Is public water and sewer connection available or do people have wells and septic tanks in their homes?

We bought a brand new home here on 3 acres and thought it was great. Three years later we are moving and can't wait. We found we are too isolated and must drive distances constantly to get anywhere. There are no good restaurants, shopping or places to go for entertainment nearby. The school system is inferior, which was not an issue when we moved here but is now. We have a septic tank but public water - usually $33 month. We find people to be closeminded and judgemental. They have since built more homes around us and our new neighbors, a good ole boy, lets his kid target practice off his deck and run his atv all hours. UGH! There is definitely a redneck mentality around here. I would advise you to keep looking, unless you would fit right in.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 AM

13 posts, read 52,491 times
Default Jackson Georgia in Butts County

We are planning a move to the Jackson area as well. Finding little or no information about the area too. We've searched every data base and online listing and still can't seem to get any "man on the street" observations.
My husband and I are both retired. Jackson is central to all the relatives we have spread all over the state and looks like a great place to live. If anyone out there can tell us what subdivisions to avoid, what builders to use caution with and the best place to settle for two homebodies....We'd sure appreciate it!!!
Thanks!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:00 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,497,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needmoresleep View Post
There are no good restaurants, shopping or places to go for entertainment nearby.
Hey, what about the Fresh Air BBQ??

On second thought, eating there will only underscore the points you made about Jackson.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 AM

177 posts, read 910,297 times
I urge the folks who are thinking of moving TO Jackson to investigate areas AROUND Jackson and not limit their search simply TO Jackson.

From what I hear Jackson might be a good place to work. However, despite the fact that we live NEAR Jackson, we never go there because it has little to offer US. That doesn't mean that it might not be a great place for others to live.

Apparantly, though there are others who feel the same way (good place to work, but don't want to live there) because there are a lot of people who work in Jackson who live in counties NEAR Jackson.

Bottom line is that it all depends on what you're looking FOR. Personally, I recommend small towns (and I do mean SMALL) and rural areas for the sense of community. Also, what I like about living in well established areas in or near a small town is the political, racial and economic mix of neighbors.

As for schools...EVERYONE wants great schools for their kids (an admirable goal) but it's wise to remember that in some of the smaller areas NEAR Jackson -- that might have a lot to offer in other respects -- that sometimes there is ONE elementary school for the WHOLE county, ditto with middleschool and high school. So, IMHO in comparing the schools of some of these smaller areas to larger areas where the schools are economically segregated is sort of like comparing apples to oranges. That said, there are private schools available that I have neard are not as expensive as one might think. Also, there is the option of having a child in public school and hiring tutors.There are summer science, math or other kinds of camps that could augment a child's education.

As I said above, we live near Jackson. We relocated from a major Western city a few years ago and couldn't be happier. We find the folks where we live friendly and welcoming (get this, the MAYOR of the town showed up the day we moved in to welcome us and he was retiring -- so he wasn't out to get our votes). His daughter had seen our moving van pull up and so he came over to welcome us and see if we needed anything. And, it's been like that for us ever since we moved here. We would NEVER go back to our "home" where people moved so frequently we often barely got to know our neighbors before they moved.

zebbie

There are some beautiful, safe areas with a real sense of community that aren't far from Jackson.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:29 AM

Deja-Zebbie,

Please Please tell my you know more about an area...like Monticello?

Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM

100 posts, read 450,515 times
Jackson is a sleepy town that is for sure. If you want to get away from people and live in a house with some acreage and don't mind driving into other areas for shopping, you will be fine.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 PM

j0ja, Sounds good to me! We're both retired and not into crowds. We want a rural, country town that won't ever grow very much. We like Monticello and Shady Dale as well but can't find anyone who knows anything about them. We're both retired, the kids are grown and out in the world. There will be no commuting for us! Just wanna fish and hang out in our golden years. Our commute to a Super Wal-Mart, from where we are now, is almost a 150 mile round trip. We would like to be a bit closer to such stores, but only to go there once a month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or