U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,194 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate and I have two opportunities to transfer from Michigan. I am considering the Gainesville and the Atlanta positions.

I am not sure what would be better. Having access to the city and all it has to offer or living in a more rural environment with less traffic and more affordable housing.

IF anyone can give me some insight on the differences between like schools, taxes, shopping, etc. I have to live near Whole Foods, COstco and Target and hopefull nice parks with trails or paths for running and/ or biking.

My son is in a private, Christian school here in Michigan and I would like to find others in Georgia as I have heard the schools aren't as competitive.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 05:32 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,558,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccamp99 View Post
I am looking to relocate and I have two opportunities to transfer from Michigan. I am considering the Gainesville and the Atlanta positions.

I am not sure what would be better. Having access to the city and all it has to offer or living in a more rural environment with less traffic and more affordable housing.

IF anyone can give me some insight on the differences between like schools, taxes, shopping, etc. I have to live near Whole Foods, COstco and Target and hopefull nice parks with trails or paths for running and/ or biking.

My son is in a private, Christian school here in Michigan and I would like to find others in Georgia as I have heard the schools aren't as competitive.

Thanks
Actually you could go either way.
Gainesville in Hall County is basically the Atlanta metro area now.
With a #1 nationwide growth rate of 130,000 per year Gainesville to Macon is turning into one giant ant hill.

My choice would be Gainesville, but I am not a fan of the city. The Gainesville N.Atlanta suburb area will offer just about everything Atlanta City does.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:28 PM

1,460 posts, read 4,485,531 times
I live halfway between Gainesville and Atlanta (Suwanee), and make the much better drive to Gainesville every day - about 25 minutes. That way, you get the best of both worlds - an easy commute and access to metro Atlanta conveniences. In Michigan terms, that would be sort of like living in Clarkston or Waterford and commuting to Flint. Also, depending on where you live, private schools can be very competitive in the Atlanta area, and very expensive. There are a couple of Christian schools in Gainesville, however, that are probably not as competitive.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,180 times
I've lived in Hall County for the last four years. It's a great area of all I've been around. I've been a courier around the Atlanta region for over twelve years. The I-985 corridor toward Gainesville is probably the least congested of the four out of Atlanta. You don't want to live in Atlanta unless you're practically on top of your work location.

As far as stores, the nearest Costco and Whole Foods stores are in Duluth, twenty-five miles south. But, I promise you'll buy more house for the money and pay less taxes on it in Hall County. Gwinnett is filling fast and taxes are climbing quickly.

I'd strongly suggest visiting the area before you make a final decision. But, if I had to choose for you, it would be Gainesville or somewhere in Hall County to the east or north of Lake Lanier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia