U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,584,438 times

Advertisements

People thinking about making the move to GA: what is the tax/insurance situation in GA? I know FLA has a terrible insurance problem now along with higher property taxes.

Is GA better in that regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 03:26 AM

87 posts, read 287,914 times
I grew up in GA, but moved to DeLand, FL in '02. Moved back to GA in '03 to help take care of an invalid father. Pay scale here is and always has been a JOKE, but I'm single and my children are out on their own, so it's just me. I got out of the rat race and am now building my own business. The climate is better in FL and that's the only thing I miss. I live out in the country, but only a short drive from several towns in any direction. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,990 times
Talking From SW FL to Georgia!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Sounds good to me..payscale wont matter to us either as my husband is an OTR trucker and I am a waitress so our payscales(assuming we are still wonderfully hospitable and timely lol) as we are here in SWFL(Naples).
I am not worried about traffic...sucks doesnt even begin to describe it here in Naples(on or off season) and the taxes (talk about a joke...NOT) and the homeowners...(Damn) I cant afford not to move. I have heard wonderful things about GA and we are planning a trip there next month to see if it is as good as everyone says it is..I think we will be happy from evertying and everyone we have heard from in great detail...If you have anything further to suggest or advise on please do...PM or here whatever you like...Thanks for your info..It helped me ALOT...Lisa
Hi there! My boyfriend and I are also from the SW FL area (Naples & Bonita). We own ten acres in a small southern Georgia town called Waycross. I really think it is southern hospitality at its best. People wave at you as you drive by and everyone smiles at you. So much different than Naples! Naples is all about money and what car you drive and where you shop. We are so tired of this area and the attitude that so many people have. We will be going up to our property next weekend and I am literally counting down the days!! If you are still researching towns to move up to I would look into Waycross. If you need any info let me know. Good luck! We can't wait to leave SW FL and it sounds like A LOT of other people are feeling the same way. It is nice to talk to someone else who is tired of the Naples traffic and taxes and all the other crap that this town has.

Katie

Old 07-09-2007, 03:26 PM

33 posts, read 168,302 times
Default FL or GA?

I kinda grew up in Miami back in the 60s and 70s, went to college in Tallahassee, moved all over the world and eventually ended up on Saint Simons Island, GA for 13 years. I retired from the military and moved to Sebring, FL to work a real estate project for 5 years. I've been back and forth between the 2 states for a long time and I can tell you I'm a BIG fan of Georgia. Even though I love Florida, it's gotten too crowded, too expensive and too hot.

In my opinion and experience, Florida is over-regulated by it's government in the form of higher taxes, higher insurance rates (auto, property and liability), higher building permit fees, impact fees, regulatory fees, local taxes, higher commercial lease rates, etc, etc. My insurance company told me it will not write me anymore property insurance if I move somewhere else in Florida. The gas is almost as expensive as California and the traffic and crowding are intense almost anywhere near the coastline or Orlando. It seems like everyone wants to move to Florida just like they do California or anywhere else near a beach or an amusment area, and prices reflect that. If you were lucky enough to own property in FL in the 80s or 90s, congrats! You own a gold mine now. Every year the summers seem to be a few degrees hotter and more humid (I guess I'm getting older too - hah!). It's not all bad because there's a lot to do down here and there are places where you can still buy an affordable house and still have to drive only 1.5 hours to get to a beach. The winters are VERY comfortable from Nov thru mid June, usually. So its a give and take kinda thing.

The great things about Georgia are that the state government generally keeps its mitts off your life. If you want to build a house, go build one. If you want to open a bar, go open one 'cause there's no COP lotteries like Florida and commercial property rates are around the $8-$20 per sq ft rate in Georgia as opposed to $15-$35 per sq ft rates in a lot of Florida. (My observations from researching my next business and may not be totally accurate). The insurance rates, taxes and gas prices (even though they've increased in recent years) are still cheaper than FL. I paid $2700 in property taxes on my 3800 sq ft Georgia house and I currently pay $2300 on my 1800 sq ft house in the middle of Florida (read "Nowhere"). Houses are VERY affordable in most places. If you want 4 seasons and mountains, check out north GA. If you want heat, humidity and pesky, bitting bugs, check out the beautiful scenery of St Simons Is.. Yeah, Florida doesn't have State Income Tax like GA but they make up for it with all the other annoying little taxes they levy. And, that 6% State Income tax was easily offset with normal, home-owner deductions. I got refunds back every year.

So, you just have to decide what you want and go for it. If you want affordability and more like 4 seasons and some mountains, go for GA. If you really need a beach and can afford it and live with the heat and crowding, try FL. These are GENERAL statements too. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to what I've said in both states and, of course, these are my opinions and observations.

Oh, the folks comparing Naples to Waycross....WOW that's a big difference and you're right, too. It's a total lifestyle change though and I'm not sure you'ld like Waycross unless you really hate Naples. It's quiet but there are no world-class restaurants or stores and no beach. There's no "snow-birds" either. Totally different planets. IF you like friendly, small towns in rural Georgia, there are a lot of them. Check out Blackshear which is near Waycross. It's got a really quaint, neat old house for next to nothing price thing going on over there.

Last edited by Sage113; 07-09-2007 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 PM

165 posts, read 611,838 times
all i can say is n.ga is really nice .i was up there last year and loved it

Old 07-10-2007, 02:41 PM

563 posts, read 2,587,368 times
I moved from south Florida to west Metro Atlanta. I love it, and I'll never go back to south Florida unless I'm a multi-millionaire.

My cost of living decreased while my salary increased. (I am an educator)

Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 14,398 times
I grew up in the South Florida, went to college in Central Florida, and moved to GA once I graduated. While the climate was something I had to get used to, everything else really fell into place; Cost of living, good neighborhoods, and friendly people! I love GA and would not go back to FL unless circumstances could not prevent it. Everything from insurance to gas is cheaper in GA. The only thing that is cheaper in FL is the orange juice!!

Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,227 times
Was born in Brandon Florida, loved it my whole life. Had five kids and found out it's so over run with retirees that kids can't do anything. No b.b. guns, no riding bikes old people complain about swing sets... Just got way outta hand. Like all the 65 and older never used to be kids. Moved to Moultrie Georgia four years ago. Reminds me how Florida was twenty years ago. Very country, nice people, I mean I literally can shop at Wal-Mart and people remember me. Never seen that in Florida. And I've been coming to different parts of Georgia since I was 16, everyone in the state doesn't matter what part, they all wave. Maybe I'm only 33 and wanna be a cowboy or something or even country, but it's a great feeling to move from where the houses are literally on top of each other to five acres. I mean kids can do as they please. Even go outside and shoot real guns!!! Got a one acre garden... It's huge for just a family. Rent up here it's anywhere from 350.00 to 550.00 a month for a three bedroom, most of the city has no water bills because it's well water ( no chemicals) gas is ten cents cheaper than Tampa. I mean there's really nothing that will ever make us move back to Florida. Another thing is the traffic... You don't get cut off here usually the speed limits 55 most roads, people just drive with the flow. My mother and step dad who are older were also born in Florida... They visited where I'm at and moved here to, they never want to move back to Fl. just visit... My dad's retiring here... I mean there's12 acres right around the corner from me for 12,500. So can you imagine retiring in Florida, the state every one retires to, and and taking your savings and leaving the state. He'll get a lot more here for his money. Love Georgia and could go on for days about all the pros of the state. I just know me and my family will not go back to my home state except to Disney you gotta do Disney...

Old 06-25-2018, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,227 times
Just realized this is from 07' but still hate Florida.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,629,621 times
Moultrie is my Daddy's hometown! I have many fond memories of visiting my family's farm my grandparents kept even 50 years after they moved to South Metro Atlanta. We sold the old place last year after my grandmother died last year at the ripe old age of 104. Moultrie and Colquitt County will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or