U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:44 PM

807 posts, read 402,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by info please View Post
all i can say is n.ga is really nice .i was up there last year and loved it

Used to be you could get a nice 2/1 cabin on a couple of acres in Union or Towns county for $150,000. Now, with the continuing influx from Fla, the prices on homes and land is getting outta sight. I checked a cabin I once rented a number of years ago - it's now $500,000

Problem with living in Appalachians (GA, TN, NC) is you can't afford to live there on one salary. Job market is poor and wages lower than FL.

The key to living up here (GA in general) is to find a good re agent who does rentals. If you buy and don't like your neighbors = you're stuck. You can't move the home. Rentals start around $550/mo + utilities. Try an apartment first before moving into a remote cabin. The winters can be harsh and it's possible to get up to three inches of snow one week and be 55F the next. The more remote the cabin, like off the paved road, the more chances of sliding off a slick muddy road or getting stuck in a ditch.

You will want to be on Georgia Power instead of the EMC's. Mostly they buy their power from GA Pwr or the TVA and mark it up dramatically.

Taxes and insurance here is about half of what you're paying down in Fla. I know, b/c I lived in Kendall and Homestead for many years. It's outrageous and gets worse every year.

Come 'cane season, I-75 becomes a 65mph rolling parking lot with Floridians trying to escape. And, I-95 is worse yet. If there's an accident on that ribbon there's only one way north and south and it will be crammed.

Central GA is where we ended up after many years in Gwinnett, Lumpkin, Union, Towns & Fannin counties. No big malls, but plenty of shopping in WR and Macon. Not much to do otherwise. Lotsa small towns within 50 miles. Some good, some not so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 PM

807 posts, read 402,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Hi there,
I have been thinking about the same thing(live in Naples FL) and have done alot of research on Buford, Woodstock and Cumming. They all have good schools, neighborhoods and community activities etc. I have lots of links if you would like any...You can also get visitors guides from differnt couties to give you a better idea of some places, I have found some good books at the CCL too. I also got some very good info and suggestions here on the forum and from local realtors that search here.....What part of FL are you from? I agree with you FL has really gotten quite expensive and not at all what it used to be like. We too are planning a trip to GA this or next month...Take Care...GOOD LUCK...Lisa

Cumming and Alpharetta and Milton = bring lotsa money with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or