U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 35,101 times

Advertisements

Please give any insight and opinions on a GREAT retirement area/city in North Georgia. We will want a home, not retirement community , gated or condo.

We would like Quality Living , Clean, Safe and Friendly Community. These are the most important then comes services. We want a small town environment but dont want to have to drive far for basic shopping, health care or amenities.

A good hospital, nice sized grocery store, Wal-mart and nice change of seasons filled with normal everyday middle class persons and retirees.

We want decent roads and want to live in a structured subdivision not on the side of a mountain by ourselves.

I know we don't want to live or like Dalton or Gainesville !

Thoughts and impressions or dislikes of Habersham, Lumpkin, Dawson, White, Rabun, Union, Towns, and Fannin Counties and which cities within each?

Employment will not be an issue, we are retired.

We considered North Carolina and Tennessee but prefer to stay in Georgia.
Although, Tennessee is very attractive to retirees with no state income tax.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM

470 posts, read 1,353,856 times
The Athens area is continually rated as one of the best places to retire. Good restaurants, shopping, entertainment, cost of living, medical facilities, convenience to other areas, etc. Oconee County, just minutes away and considered part of the Athens Metropolitain area certainly could meet your small town requirement but close to everything.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 AM

744 posts, read 2,206,803 times
I love the areas that you've got listed.
My personal list would be something like this 1) Lumpkin County - Dahlonega , great small college town with a real mix of everything.You'll see young and old there . Plus super easy acess to Ga 400 if you want to come down to things in Atlanta or down to the bigger medical centers in Atlanta.
2) White County - Cleveland . Great views and it has a real working class feel about. Several small subdivisons either in the city limits or just on the outskirts.
Those would be my top two picks of your list.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,596 times
I live between Ellijay (Gilmer CO) and Dawsonville (Dawson CO) and would steer you to Blue Ridge in Fannin County. Fannin Medical center is the closest hospital. There isn't much in the way of shopping, except for a Home Depot. You'll have to go to either Ellijay or Blairsville for Wal-Mart. There are only community banks in the area. If you bank at a Mega Bank, you'll have to go to Canton for your nearest branch. If good roads mean a 4 lane, you won't want to venture too far off Hwy 515. The state routes are 2 lane, windy roads. The views are pretty, but there is a real lack of ammenities in any of the counties you listed. Many of those counties don't serve alcohol by the drink in the restraunts.

I would really suggest you look at Lake Arrowhead, a development in Waleska, GA in far north Cherokee County. There are lovely homes, with a large lake and nice marina, plus golf, clubhouse, and restraunts. The roads are paved and the community is gated. You would only be 6 miles from Canton, which has numerous restraunts and now (finally) a decent shopping center. If you move to Dahlonega, Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Jasper, or Blairsville, you'll be coming to Canton to shop, and eat anyway.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM

3,775 posts, read 3,486,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francie414 View Post
If you move to Dahlonega, Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Jasper, or Blairsville, you'll be coming to Canton to shop, and eat anyway.
We recently bought in Blairsville and only go to Canton about once every 6 to 8 weeks. Most everything we need can be bought in Blairsville (Union County). One of the nicest Wal-mart's anywhere, and I'm not a Walmart fan at all. Some of the best meat markets, Ingles is remodeling and is looking pretty spiffy, Home Depot, and plenty of good restaurants abound. It is a quick jaunt up to Murphy if you seek Lowe's. And of course, it's quick to go over to Blue Ridge as well. Honestly, the only thing that I miss in Blairsville is your mid-range women's clothing stores, (Cato, Dress Barn, or mall like places) and most of the times I don't need much more than my jeans anyway so it isn't a big deal. The local merchants are a joy to deal with as are the people.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 AM

14 posts, read 35,101 times
Default North Georgia

Doesnt Dahlonega have good hospital? and a Super Wal-Mart?

We also want to examine Fort Oglethorpe/Ringgold and Walker County (LAFayette)

Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 AM

744 posts, read 2,206,803 times
Dahlonega's hospital does have a good reputation plus North Georgia college has a nursing program .Normally where there are nursing programs there are good hospitals.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 PM

9,024 posts, read 4,897,094 times
Default North Georgia-Dahlonega

SWGA,
Walmart is regular old Walmart, but 13 miles South on GA400 is Dawsonville and they have a Super Walmart.

You might want to have an accountant do a proforma State tax return for any State you are considering. Georgia might surprise in particular, as they exempt virtually all income over, I believe under 70K, once you hit 65. It starts at 62, with an exemption on 32K of earned income. Check it out. My numbers are close, but totally accurate.

Does SWGA stand for Southwest GA? If so, where?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,229,744 times
Aus,

There is a CATO in Murphy, NC. It's in a strip mall next to Wal Mart.

SWGA,

I'm in Hiawassee (next county over from Blairsville) and leaving next year. Have a friend in Blairsville who has had foot surgery and just had two heart valve replacements.

In my opinion, we don't get the best docs up here for the most part. The really good ones locate closer to culture.

His heart diagnosis was a complete and total fiasco with the local doctor and he's lucky to have even survived long enough to get to a surgeon. He had to go to Gainesville to get the operation he needed and even the heart surgeon was pissed at his Blairsville doctor.

The only hospitals that could handle the surgery were either in Gainesville or Atlanta. It was quite a drive back and forth over the mountain for his wife during the three weeks he was in the hospital.

If you are retirement age, you really need to think about this stuff. He and his wife have been completely frustrated with ALL their doctors here (foot, heart, eye) and we have had the exact same experience with ours.

They will be leaving as soon as he recovers and they can sell their house.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,229,744 times
I'd recommend any small town close to Asheville, NC for excellent medical care. Or perhaps look into Tennessee? If you insist on Georgia and end up needing serious surgery, the drive from Blue Ridge to Atlanta is easier road conditions, but then you have miserable Atlanta traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia