Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,296 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We may be moving from NYC to athens, GA soon. We did visit but just for 1/2 a day, so we couldn't really explore.
We currently live in an area where there are a lot of southeast asians (indians). So it's easy to do grocery shopping ,take the kids for classical dance,watch indian movies, etc. I was wondering about the southeast asian population in athens,Also please include neighboring counties which are close to Athens and have a reasonable sized indian population, Thanks in advance, any feedback is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayaka1979 View Post
Hi everyone,
We may be moving from NYC to athens, GA soon. We did visit but just for 1/2 a day, so we couldn't really explore.
We currently live in an area where there are a lot of southeast asians (indians). So it's easy to do grocery shopping ,take the kids for classical dance,watch indian movies, etc. I was wondering about the southeast asian population in athens,Also please include neighboring counties which are close to Athens and have a reasonable sized indian population, Thanks in advance, any feedback is greatly appreciated
The main two counties people move to are Clarke County (which is combined with the city) and Oconee County just west.

The first only has an Asian population of about 3%, which isn't very big. It has more of an urbanish.... more like an oversized small town environment. It is a very interesting place with lots to do. It has the Classic Center, which brings interesting events into town. The local downtown is very interesting. It brings in lots of bands, small restaurants, and sometimes things with a semi-eclectic twist. The only caveat is at night it very much is dominated by the college bar culture.

Oconee County (and city of Watkinsville) is pretty much the suburban bedroom county of Athens. It still has lots of rural areas, so it has a very exurban feel. Most of the housing and development is fairly new. The education system is new and regarded fairly well. However, here the Asian population is half of what is in Athens, so extremely low.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 AM

262 posts, read 789,988 times
vinayaka, there is an Indo-Pak grcery store on Baxter street (Milledge-Alps section). UGA has the Indian Student Assoc etc. that has community involvement as well. The Indian population (families) will be fairly small, but of course there are people who do work in the Univ., and some in other private companies. Mostly, I think you will end up getting your Indian fix in the Atlanta area on weekends.

If you are still reading this forum, please post with any more specific questions.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Athens is a lovely little city but not very diverse.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,215 times
I live in Athens. Have Indian couple as friends at our church. They moved from MI. They have been very unhappy here. They go to Atlanta occasionally for a "culture fix". They have run into discrimination here sad to say. Think carefully.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,296 times
Hi everyone thanks for your feedback. Athensvaasi, are you from tamilnadu?(just guessing from your name)
I was wondering if you could give me a rough idea on the number of indian families with school going kids in Athens, and where are they concentrated. I know that Atlanta is pretty close but I would also like to know about day to day interactions. Hope you understand.
I would greatly appreciate if you could also enlighten me on where to stay, I 'm not concerned about cost, but I'm looking for a safe place close to school. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 PM

262 posts, read 789,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayaka1979 View Post
Hi everyone thanks for your feedback. Athensvaasi, are you from tamilnadu?(just guessing from your name)
I was wondering if you could give me a rough idea on the number of indian families with school going kids in Athens, and where are they concentrated. I know that Atlanta is pretty close but I would also like to know about day to day interactions. Hope you understand.
I would greatly appreciate if you could also enlighten me on where to stay, I 'm not concerned about cost, but I'm looking for a safe place close to school. Thanks in advance!
I will send you a Direct Message after this. Post message here if there is any problem getting to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia