U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGal View Post
Snakes, at least that would be a B-I-G- problem with me.
I was going to mention that. I used to know someone who had a place on Lanier and they had a lot more snakes in their yard than they did when they were more "inland". Mostly Copperheads, but they did find Cottonmouths (most poisonous) a couple of times. Not a huge problem if you're single or married without kids or pets, but if you have children or dogs it's something to consider if they like to play in the yard or around the water's edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 AM

26 posts, read 284,067 times
I would suggest Lake Chatuge! Lanier is still ok prices are on the way up though. I suggest buying a lot and build. If you have kids child proofing a lake home can be a *****!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,395 times
We live on Lake Lanier and haven't had any of the problems others are mentioning. We live on a no wake cove area and besides the ridiculous lowering of the water (which is more of fault of the corp. than anything). Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 07-23-2007 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,531,836 times
I thought all of that land bordering Lake Lanier was lease-land. I think some percentage is actually owned fee simple, though - does anyone have any stats on what is lease-land and what is fee simple ownership?

Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 PM

Location: On Lake Lanier in Cumming Georgia 30 minutes North of Atlanta
2 posts, read 9,574 times
You've heard a few horror stories about lake living, but I think its terrific. I am a real estate broker and live on Lake Lanier. In fact, my house sits in a wide cove overlooking the busiest part of the lake. I don't recall any drunk parties recently. You can expect to hear some boat traffic, but Lake Lanier is a recreation area and I don't think you would expect different. At night the only thing I hear are frogs and cicadas!

Mosquitos, we have them. They are bothersome at dawn and dusk and during nighttime hours. I have seen two snakes in 10 years. You can't get a permit to build below the 1085 line (elevation of Buford Dam), so if you have flood issues there is an arc on the horizon. The Corp of Engineers owns the property around the lake, however the corp line (as its called) can be 100 feet from the water's edge to actually in the water. Just depends where you are. It is expensive to buy lakefront property with a dock or dock permit. They are almost gone and no more will be issued. When they run out I believe property values will spike. A small lake cottage, with decent water and maybe a small water view will run you at least $500,000. However, Lake homes are appreciating up towards 20% or more a year, making them a great investment.
Best of Luck to you!

PS There are a few Land Leases around the lake such as the Lockheed Martin and Girl Scouts of America Campgrounds, but homeowners OWN their land!

Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM

25 posts, read 159,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLarry View Post
Are there any extra problems to be considered with a house on a lake? Extra bugs, flood worries, smell, etc? I don't know if I should consider houses with a dock/lake.

I'll be working at Sage Software at 1715 N Brown Rd Lawrenceville GA 30043. We are looking in the Suwanee, Duluth, Dacula, Lawrenceville area.
Only problem I see will be all the friends coming over on the weekend to go boating, I just bought property on Clarkshill lake aka Lake Thurman, Good luck.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:11 PM

35 posts, read 153,384 times
Try Lake Hartwell. It's a big lake, ~90 minutes from Atlanta, quiet, and beautiful. I've been camping on the shores of Lake Hartwell pretty much all seasons, and didn't notice any more bugs than I find in my own back yard. Naturally lake levels will be an issue on any lake, but since the dam is in Hartwell, the lake is much deeper there - closer you get to the city of Hartwell, the deeper the water. Prices rise every year, but are still much lower than Lanier, Oconee, Keowee, or Rabun.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:10 PM

513 posts, read 1,401,077 times
Default clarks hill lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
Only problem I see will be all the friends coming over on the weekend to go boating, I just bought property on Clarkshill lake aka Lake Thurman, Good luck.
Dave, where abouts did you buy your property? That's where I'm looking to buy also! Any places to stay away from? Are you in a development? Any others for sale around you? Thanks, TJ Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 08-16-2007 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Personal Info

Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM

2,349 posts, read 9,848,998 times
I have also lived in a home on the water. The problems we had were just about the same as others posted: more buddies than we knew we had Friday nights, neighbors leaving their radio on FULL BLAST and taking off in their boat for 3 hours, stinky dead fish, stinky dog who rolled in the dead fish, duck crap, duck crap and did I mention duck crap? A box fan helped with the noise of partiers and boats.

The snakes and mosquitos were no issue for us at all and the water level did drop in the winter but it was no time at all and spring was near. I LOVED living on the river and I can say it was my favorite home thus far.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 PM

14 posts, read 52,833 times
Housing cost at large Lake like Lanier is very expensive. We have a small lake in the center of our neighborhood in Peachtree Corners and the same as ones around here without lakes. And, no boats to break the silence of a beautiful summer morning. You will get a few extra bugs and crawly things near water. Where you work, go to the cities you listed and look at a good map to find those neighborhood lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or