U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:51 PM

29 posts, read 129,172 times

Advertisements

Are there any extra problems to be considered with a house on a lake? Extra bugs, flood worries, smell, etc? I don't know if I should consider houses with a dock/lake.

I'll be working at Sage Software at 1715 N Brown Rd Lawrenceville GA 30043. We are looking in the Suwanee, Duluth, Dacula, Lawrenceville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 04:57 AM

612 posts, read 2,585,201 times
I have a house on Norris Lake in Snellville and it doesn't seem to have any more bugs, etc than my main house a few miles away. It's great to have a home on the water.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:14 AM

43 posts, read 203,783 times
If you are looking around Lake Lanier, make sure if you get a dock that it doesn't dry up when the lake levels get low, which happens quite a bit. I think we have a 12 inch rainfall deficit right now. A lot of docks were sitting in mud last year, and I have noticed the lake levels dropping quite a bit over the last couple of weeks.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 AM

75 posts, read 354,444 times
Default hey

I have a cousin on lake lanier,
The only concern is the low lake level but with the right type of dock that isnt a problem. The Corp of Engineers also control the immediate space (Buffer)around the lake and you have a list of do and donts that you have to follow.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 PM

483 posts, read 1,943,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLarry View Post
Are there any extra problems to be considered with a house on a lake? Extra bugs, flood worries, smell, etc? I don't know if I should consider houses with a dock/lake.

I'll be working at Sage Software at 1715 N Brown Rd Lawrenceville GA 30043. We are looking in the Suwanee, Duluth, Dacula, Lawrenceville area.
Noise, Larry -

A friend sold his house on Lanier because during warm weather no one could sleep there - speedboats and drunken parties all night - and sound really carries across open water.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 35,194 times
Better buy quick in Suwanee it was listed on the best places to live last week via a Yahoo link.

Lake Lanier is a nightmare if you live close to it. It being the closest lake to Atl and close to Athens, it is overcrowed and no fun anymore. Used to be a good lake too.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,333,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLarry View Post

I have a lake house, not in your neck of the woods but its still a lake house.
I have never had a bug problem. I spray twice a year. I have flood insurance (just to be safe). Mine is on an acre about 100 yards from the water and on a moderate/slight hill. My only advise would be, leave the A/C on in the summer when you are away. It wont hurt the utility bills very much if you set it at around 80 deg. This keeps the air moving in the house and the unit from burning up. I also have a lawn guy that cuts the grass and picks up the leaves in the fall every 10 days or so when I am away to keep out the creatures! Over all, I have had no real problems. PS, turn off the water when you go back to the real world...

Old 07-20-2007, 07:41 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,066,158 times
I didn't have a place on a lake, but on a deep water river with a dock and beach. Boating, fishing, Skiing.....all the water fun that you could name.

We didn't know we had so many friends that "just happened to be passing by." and then they started bringing THEIR friends and relatives. Of course, it was fun, and they always managed to bring lots of food. But some week ends, we really didn't feel like company.

So if you don't have many close friends, there's no problem. One weekend when there were about 20 extras there, we gave up and told them that since we never saw them during the winter, we weren't all that keen in seeing them every weekend during the summer. All but two got their feelings hurt and they never happened to "just be passing by" again.

Last edited by Padgett2; 07-20-2007 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 AM

138 posts, read 637,649 times
Snakes, at least that would be a B-I-G- problem with me.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,531,836 times
Being from Florida, I personally don't like lake property. Yes, there are more bugs. Yes, you are constantly worrying about water levels. Fortunately on Lake Lanier, they can control the level of the lake to some degree, so flooding isn't a big concern. But, on smaller lakes - people are forgetting about when lake levels get too high - how swampy everything gets, more bugs, more snakes, soggy grass. I guess Georgia has been in a drought for some time, so y'all tend to forget about when lakes get too high.

I remember in the '70's lakes around Central Florida swamping out people's entire back yards, coming within a few feet of homes.

During the Hurricanes a couple of years ago, people living on lakes were basically living in a swamp for nearly 6 months.

Lakes can smell nasty during the hot summer months. Houses on Lakes tend to have much higher humidity and more problems with mold. This isn't as big a problem in North Georgia, but it's still something to think about.

But, on Lake Lanier and to some degree Altoona (sp?) the noise is a problem. For some reason, people in Atlanta think they need to take their cigarette boats, other loud speed boats, etc. on that lake like it was the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe they moved up from Miami Beach and didn't want to sell their boats, so they tool around in them on Lake Lanier, who knows. 25 years ago, it was a nice peaceful lake. Now, it might as well be I-75 for big loud boats.

For what it costs to have a house on Lake Lanier, I could have about 60 acres of beautiflul mountain land with a nice home on it and a nice stream going through it just a little farther north. Y'all can have your lake front property!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or