Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 13,207 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in a small boring Florida town, and am looking to make a move with my 2 year old to a more interesting city with more opportunities. I'll be looking to work as a probation officer. I don't know much about Athens or what it has to offer as far as entertainment, economy, it's size, etc. What I know about Atlanta is both enticing and sort of scary. Would Athens be a good alternative for a single mom who's basically looking to rent in a safe neighborhood for no more than $1000; entertainment such as museums, arts, music (I know I can travel to Atlanta for a lot of that); food; and dating?

Any feedback would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 AM

470 posts, read 1,500,927 times
Athens is a college town with certainly a lot of music. It still has the small town feel but because of UGA is a bit more cosmopolitan and diverse. There is a lot to do in the area and good rentals can be had for less than $1000/mo, depending upon where you would like to live. While not as many, there are arts and museum opportunities, as well as the state botanical gardens (one of my favorites) as well as many local weekend venues in Athens and the surrounding communities, i.e. on the 23rd is the annual athens chili cook off, but it is next door in Winterville.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 13,207 times
Thanks for you feedback!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
BEFORE you move make sure you have a job, our "official" unemployment rate has been hovering at 10% or more for over 2 years.

I live outside of Athens but like the rural part of it, ATL has a lot to offer but I can't stand the traffic gridlock.

Good Luck

Old 12-18-2010, 01:08 PM

13 posts, read 43,935 times
I know this was posted months ago, but I am an Athens resident and wanted to chime in.
I love Athens. I've been here for nearly three years, and I'm extremely lucky to have landed a good job here.

That said, the job market here is terrible -- worse than any other place I've lived. Finding a place to rent for under $1000 a month wouldn't be too difficult, but finding a job in Athens that will pay you enough to be able to afford $1000 in rent every month may pose quite a challenge. Even "good jobs" that require education or skills don't pay all that well here.

I found a job before I moved here, and it wasn't ideal, but it was enough. I was lucky enough to use that job as a "foot in the door" and get myself into a better position. It took six months of job hunting in Athens before I even got so much as a nibble regarding my resume, and that was before the economy tanked. I would highly suggest finding a job BEFORE you move here.

Now, other than the lack of job opportunities here, this is really a great town.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:05 PM

357 posts, read 783,479 times
Athens has about 50000% more character than Atlanta. I'd check out both places, but I love Athens.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM

326 posts, read 813,758 times
if i were you i would just stay in fl, how about moving to a less boring city in fl? such as miami or orlando where there are plenty things to do? i live in ga and it doesnt have much to offer...but if you are really interested come check it out and see for your self

Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
I would imagine making sure you have a solid job prospect would be a priority before considering where to move, seeing as you have a child to feed. There are not many jobs for the people who already live here, much less newcomers wanting to get out of a "boring city" in another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia