U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 AM

276 posts, read 1,043,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyenyc View Post
already have!!! they are all gone now, thank god, but i felt like I was being terrorized everytime I saw one. My exterminator AL is also #1 on my speed dial. lol.... I was also told there is this one spider that is the size of my hand that comes out once a year..... ohhh something to look forward too...lol..
lol....dont u love the name they give "cocroaches" in the southern states...The first time I saw a palmetto bug*(in my laundry room) I just about passed out..>I live in FL now but am originally from Boston and NEVER had one in my life...uggg...I dont care what they call em..they are NASTY lol...and spiders, well I can deal with the daddy long legged kind but let me see one that is actually BIG and I WILL PASS OUT...But I am still come to GA.....RED ANTS I hate em but they LOVE me ...lol...I still love the south compared to the north(climate and lifestyle in general) although I must say I am looking forward to the change in seasons...especially fall...But that brings there own little critters out too ...oh well another thing to look forward to..and POST about lol...Take Care..>Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceyjay View Post
We relocated to Ga from Connecticut last July. It has taken me a year to adjust to the bugs. "Ryan" is my bug man. I love him, he's been my knight in shinning armor. You HAVE to hire an exterminator. There is this one BIG red velvet bug that screams if you step on it - science fiction stuff down here!
LOL...When I move there I will have the realtor set me up with an exterminator pronto...Lol....Seriously though too...How fun
Take Care
Lisa

Old 07-08-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaisleyChic View Post
If it's the one that comes to mind, I think you're talking about what we southerners call "Cow Killers" - also known as "Velvet Ants"
Sounds lovely(Not) Thanks for the headup..Will be on the look out and might even look (ewww) for a pic so I can alert my husband (who will be doing ALL yard work in GA)LOL and my daughter who will be playing....and Mom I will be safely inside lol....Thanks again

Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 AM

10 posts, read 33,918 times
Red face Cow Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaisleyChic
If it's the one that comes to mind, I think you're talking about what we southerners call "Cow Killers" - also known as "Velvet Ants"
YES YES - that is the one for sure - it frightened me to death!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:50 AM

31 posts, read 104,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Honestly, they aren't a huge deal. I don't understand all the fuss over the snakes and bugs.
When it's not something you are accustomed to it takes some adjusting....

Im sure this time next year I'll be saying the same thing.. what's the big deal. lol

Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 PM

my brother says it is a bug on steroids LOL...TG I am going to be one step ahead by getting an exterminator as soon as I move to GA...

Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 70,496 times
I agree with the palmetto bugs....eeewwwhhh!!!! I am from Grayson and own property with a pond and a few streams and we pretty much see it all (from Beavers to snakes down to all kinds of bugs). If you refrain from using mulch around your house and keep leaves and such away your chances seeing bugs inside and around your house are minimized greatly. Good luck in your househunting ventures, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:50 PM

20,005 posts, read 70,653,622 times
Medically significant bugs n things in Georgia:

Latrodectus mactans (Southern black widow)
Centruroides hentzi or possibly vittatus (scorpion)
Snakes: timber rattlesnakes (Crotalus horridus) and variants, copperheads (Agkistrodon contortrix), cottonmouths (Agkistrodon piscivorous), maybe the eastern diamonback (Crotalus adamanteus).

I have left the Latin names, you can Google those for LOTS more info. Its wise that you do so, recognize friend from foe.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 PM

483 posts, read 1,940,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioplastic View Post
Okay - I rec'd some great (but not too comforting) replies about snakes in GA. Will I be confined to the indoors???

What wonderful things do I have to look forward to in the BUG category??

Thank you, in advance, for all of your replies!!
In 50 years, I've seen maybe 3 snakes, and I've lived in the woods most of that time. None of them seemed eager to chase me or anything. You're much more likely to be in an accident on your way to Walmart.

Bugs, the kind that bite and make you itch, can be a problem. During the warm months, when doing yard work, I use a lot of insect repellent, then change and shower afterward. That eliminates 90% of the misery.

Oh, and don't stand in anthills. You will be very sorry.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:12 PM

31 posts, read 104,422 times
Default fire ants!!

Today my 3 year old decided to take a tumble down the front lawn and he landed smack on a fire ant nest, he was covered in seconds!!! Thank god my husband acted quick and ripped off my son's shirt, which was completly covered with ants, and I threw him right in the tub.....

Luckily he only received about 20-25 bites, mostly on both arms and some of his back....WOW that was within seconds....

Scary......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia