Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 AM

17 posts, read 40,463 times

Advertisements

From what I read on here, it makes me think Clayton County is a COMPLETE cesspool. But honestly, about what % of the county is really bad? What are some towns, areas and neighborhoods that have a decent sized middle class community and arent plagued with drugs and crime??

Does Henry County have any ghetto or depressed areas or is it pretty much nice all over??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itz_ryan View Post
From what I read on here, it makes me think Clayton County is a COMPLETE cesspool. But honestly, about what % of the county is really bad? What are some towns, areas and neighborhoods that have a decent sized middle class community and arent plagued with drugs and crime??

Does Henry County have any ghetto or depressed areas or is it pretty much nice all over??
Born and raised in Clayton county and then moved to Henry when the "white flight" of the 90's hit its high point. What I can tell you is this, most whites wont nothing to do with Clayton county or alot of the northern part of Henry. Not all but most. Now you will hear varying opinions from other minorities in regards to Clayton and Henry. Some love it and some hate it.

Is all of Clayton county bad no, but most of the schools are horrendous. Same goes for Henry county but the schools are not as bad as Claytons. Alot of natives like myself see Henry county going down the same path as Clayton so thats were alot of the negativity for Henry comes from. The traffic is also horrilbe in Henry county and there are very few options other than I-75 or 675. The county roads are always backed up and there hasnt been near enough road expansions to handle the huge influx of new residents over the last 20 years.

I left McDonough in Henry county four years ago and couldnt be happier. The thing for me and my wife is that we dont want to have to move every 7-10 years to get away from the failing schools or the sections 8 tenants moving in next door. The north side of Atlanta is much more stable in regards to neighborhoods, schools, etc.. I just didnt want to have continue moving further south as so many of our friends and family have done. I have not interest in living in the boonies or being 20 minutes from a grocery store or gas station.

Everything is subjective though, I am sure there are many who love Clayton and Henry county but the vast majority of natives feel that both counties have seen better days. I fall into that catergory as I saw first hand the demise of Clayton county and continue to watch the downfall of Henry.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 PM

60 posts, read 145,746 times
The theme song for northern Clayton County should be 'Gangsta Paradise'.

Every time I drive down there I can hear the opening riffs to that song.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:16 AM

37 posts, read 112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarose View Post
The theme song for northern Clayton County should be 'Gangsta Paradise'.

Every time I drive down there I can hear the opening riffs to that song.

It's people like you that give our great state a bad name. I was born in Atlanta, but moved to Forest Park (north clayton county) when i was around 11...It's true that the county has seen better days, but good things dont last forever. I loved living in FP and I miss staying there. Forest Park is mainly a warehouse city with lots of trucks coming in and out everyday.

I always felt safe in Clayton County because I was aware of my surroundings and didnt look to become a victim. You should drive around the area and speak with a few citizens before you make your decision though. If you want to take the advice of macarose, check out downtown Jonesboro...one of the few areas where the blacks haven't took over

Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
There are good parts, around Lake Spivy and Mundy's Mill Rd and passing Lovejoy into the Reservoir. That said 80% sucks.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
There are good parts, around Lake Spivy and Mundy's Mill Rd and passing Lovejoy into the Reservoir. That said 80% sucks.
About 30% of Clayton is Bad maybe even less. The Truly bad Areas of Clayton would be The Area off of Riverdale Rd, and Gardenwalk, pretty much College Park and North Clayton, Tara Blvd and Portions of Mt Zion Rd. and Hwy 85 between Lamar Hutcheson and Gardenwalk. And the portion of Forest Park near the city of Atlanta. Summing this up pretty much North Clayton near the Fulton County and the Airport is not a Desirable Place to live as well as Hwy 85 and Tara Blvd are not the best areas to be either. Other areas of Clayton are decent to upscale like every other place in this country.

Nice Areas in Clayco

Lake Spivey
LoveJoy
Mundy's Mill
Irondale
Rex
South Clayton
W. Fayetteville Rd Area
Bethsaida
Ellenwood
Jonesboro (City Limits)
Walt Stephens Rd Area
Morrow Rd Area
Lake Harbin Rd Area

So don't listen to these fools that say 80% of the county is trash they are ignorant. Yes Clayton has problems but it is not truly hopeless.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
About 30% of Clayton is Bad maybe even less. The Truly bad Areas of Clayton would be The Area off of Riverdale Rd, and Gardenwalk, pretty much College Park and North Clayton, Tara Blvd and Portions of Mt Zion Rd. and Hwy 85 between Lamar Hutcheson and Gardenwalk. And the portion of Forest Park near the city of Atlanta. Summing this up pretty much North Clayton near the Fulton County and the Airport is not a Desirable Place to live as well as Hwy 85 and Tara Blvd are not the best areas to be either. Other areas of Clayton are decent to upscale like every other place in this country.

Nice Areas in Clayco

Lake Spivey
LoveJoy
Mundy's Mill
Irondale
Rex
South Clayton
W. Fayetteville Rd Area
Bethsaida
Ellenwood
Jonesboro (City Limits)
Walt Stephens Rd Area
Morrow Rd Area
Lake Harbin Rd Area

So don't listen to these fools that say 80% of the county is trash they are ignorant. Yes Clayton has problems but it is not truly hopeless.

I'm from the Eastside of Macon. It's overwhelmingly black. We have one true ghetto (Fort Hill) which is outnumbered by the middle class, majority black neighborhoods, but this whole side of town gets called "the slums" or "bad."

Does Clayton County suffer from a similar generalization????

Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 AM

[quote=Mgyeldell;16949144]About 30% of Clayton is Bad maybe even less. The Truly bad Areas of Clayton would be The Area off of Riverdale Rd, and Gardenwalk, pretty much College Park and North Clayton, Tara Blvd and Portions of Mt Zion Rd. and Hwy 85 between Lamar Hutcheson and Gardenwalk. And the portion of Forest Park near the city of Atlanta. Summing this up pretty much North Clayton near the Fulton County and the Airport is not a Desirable Place to live as well as Hwy 85 and Tara Blvd are not the best areas to be either. Other areas of Clayton are decent to upscale like every other place in this country.

Nice Areas in Clayco

Lake Spivey
LoveJoy
Mundy's Mill
Irondale
Rex
South Clayton
W. Fayetteville Rd Area
Bethsaida
Ellenwood
Jonesboro (City Limits)
Walt Stephens Rd Area
Morrow Rd Area
Lake Harbin Rd Area

So don't listen to these fools that say 80% of the county is trash they are ignorant. Yes Clayton has problems but it is not truly hopeless.[/quote]

Those nice areas you mentioned have EASILY the worst schools in the state and dare I say the Southeast.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I'm from the Eastside of Macon. It's overwhelmingly black. We have one true ghetto (Fort Hill) which is outnumbered by the middle class, majority black neighborhoods, but this whole side of town gets called "the slums" or "bad."

Does Clayton County suffer from a similar generalization????
One word NO, Clayton county has truly earned its reputation more than any other crappy place I can think of. I know first hand as I was born and raised there and fled like virtually every other white over 10 years ago. The issue here is that there are plenty of people that live in Clayton county and they know its the armpit of Metro Atlanta. They claim it isnt because they just cant come to grips with the fact that they live in the worst place in the metro region. So they claim that it really isnt that bad. Do a simple google search and put in Clayton County GA crime OR Clayton County schools to see how it has truly earned its reputation.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM

56 posts, read 52,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj06 View Post
check out downtown Jonesboro...one of the few areas where the blacks haven't took over
Yea, anywhere the blacks take over is going down hill. It has been that way for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia