U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,120 posts, read 36,477,500 times
Reputation: 15483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime007 View Post
I have lived in the Brunswick area (Glynn County) for the past 35 years. The city of Brunswick is a GHETTO with a small nice neighborhood and more crime than you could shake a stick at. Our jail and justice complex are the high points. As of late several small pricy restaurants have opened in the downtown area. I can't understand how anyone in their right mind would take their wife or girlfriend out in the evening to have dinner there. If you do survive the walk from your car to the restaurant then perhaps a look see at the RED CARPET LOUNGE, our only stripper joint. The Brunswick city fathers refer to the RED CARPET as part of the charm of Brunswick. If you're thinking of moving to the city, maybe a look at the "CRIME WATCH" section of the Brunswick News would be worthwhile. Surronding area of Brunswick, THE BEST, it does not get any better. STAY OUT OF THE CITY...
I spend my summers on Saint Simons and frequently go over to Cargo to eat with my husband and friends. I assure you that I always feel quite safe and am impressed with the progress that they have made over the last few years in downtown Brunswick, There are some undesirable areas to the north and southeast of downtown, true...but I think to write the entire city off as a 'ghetto' is pretty harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Augusta Georgia
29 posts, read 159,580 times
Reputation: 33
Exclamation Brunswick area water

I hear racist comments and I hear statitsics on crime rate but there is one DEFINING FACTOR for the Brunswick area. Question....are you used to city water? You better check the water supply in the area you intend on living FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!. I am from Augusta and have relatives that live there. My Aunt lives just outside the city limits and is on well water. I suggest city water if that is what you are used to. There is a chemical called sulphur dominating the well water down there and I for one cannot stand it. The smell is unbearable and a majority of people have filters that still do no good. You smell like rotten eggs AFTER you get out of the shower, never mind drinking the stuff. They are foced to buy bottled water and My uncle is a Plumber by trade (that tell you anything?) Please be aware of this. Folks that have grown up around there are accustomed to it and it is not really a problem. City folks like me, however, have difficulty adapting. Please consider this if not anything else in your search for a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,670,545 times
Reputation: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorhyne View Post
If you move to Brunswick move outside the city limits. Like the post above way too many blacks and Mexicans inside the city. In the county there are plenty of nice areas to live.
Yes that must be the reason.All those lowly inferior blacks and mexicans.I wonder how the superior godly old white families in the city bought all those old plantation houses and mansion in the old historic areas today.I wonder how good are the schools systems in the city?

Its people like you who are the main reason this country is going in the toilet because of greed.You choose to go the easy route and blame the traditional lower classes of society as if history has nothing to do with how things for them are today.A responsible citizen would have recognized those things as what they are but it an issue that YOU and every citizen should be ashamed of as a citizen of the area.Not black,not white,Mexican,just American.What will you do to decrease the inequality of the distribution of wealth in Brunswick.There is a problem and you simplifying the problem only makes it worse.You single handledly negated any of the previous things said about Brunswick because your narrow minded view.People will see your statement and say yep its still the south and all that negative stuff that go with it.Do'nt assume everyone thats white will agree with what you say and it will only turn people off.(im black and I know that).The crime stats im aware of who does what and where,so before you go on some political correct tantrum you missed the whole point.
Do yourself and your community a favor ,wake up tommorow and go intown and see what you can do to stop those young black and mexicans that you say is makeing it bad for everyone,and be a solution instead of making the problem worse by secluding yourself from them in your enclave of tranquility.The majority of those minorities work hard and stay out of trouble.Brunswick whites lynched and killed blacks all up through the late 60's.DOes that mean all whites today who were alive are EVIL?
IM SO disgusted right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Augusta Georgia
29 posts, read 159,580 times
Reputation: 33
I am white and could not agree with you more afongega1 No room in the world for indignity like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its people like you who are the main reason this country is going in the toilet........There is a problem and you simplifying the problem only makes it worse. Do'nt assume everyone thats white will agree with what you say and it will only turn people off.
IM SO disgusted right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
 
96 posts, read 387,553 times
Reputation: 42
Facts are facts. We can't escape them in this 'whatever' society we live in today. I won't live where some people with chip's on their shoulder's live. That's my choice, regardless of how anyone feels about it. That goes for white trash as well. As far as going to those area's to 'try and fix the problem', nobody can do that and that's rediculous to assume. Listen to the person who said they lived in Brunswick for 35 years. Who want's to live in the surrounding neighborhoods and "Stay out of the city" ? How stupid is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 8,404,591 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
. . A responsible citizen would have recognized those things as what they are but it an issue that YOU and every citizen should be ashamed of as a citizen of the area.Not black,not white,Mexican,just American.What will you do to decrease the inequality of the distribution of wealth in Brunswick.There is a problem and you simplifying the problem only makes it worse. . .
just what in the world are you talking about?

its not the responsibility of those with money to see that everyone else gets a piece of the pie.

"redistribution of wealth" is a term that needs to be wiped from our vocabulary.

this is america. you earn what you work for.

what is the benefit of me working extremely long hours and building my company each year, only to have it given to someone else because its deemed i have too much and they have too little.

maybe one day, if you happen to become successful in the pursuit of wealth, you'll understand what the problem is.


by the way, i hope you do reach that point. i hope everyone does, but not at my expense.

is it any wonder off-shore bank accounts are so appealing?

no matter how many laws they manage to pass about taxing the wealthy, there will always be a way to hide money. you need to remember the people writing these laws aren't poor, and don't want to give their money away either. so there will always be a loophole.

so i wouldn't be too optimisitic about getting a check from the "rich people". I can promise you the money won't be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 23,032,801 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
this is america. you earn what you work for.
Yes. If you're lucky enough to avoid the pitfalls which can occur along the way.

Hard work, by itself, is sometimes not enough. Neither is planning. Just ask those who lost money to Madoff because the fund investors they trusted made a bad decision.

Quote:
what is the benefit of me working extremely long hours and building my company each year, only to have it given to someone else because its deemed i have too much and they have too little.
That's the rationale companies use to lay people off. You cost too much, and I as a company have too little, so your hard work over the past 10, 20, or 30 years means nothing to the company any longer. Goodbye.

I don't completely disagree with you, but I believe there are times when the distribution of resources for the common good has a useful ... and sometimes necessary ... purpose. In specific instances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 8,404,591 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That's the rationale companies use to lay people off. You cost too much, and I as a company have too little, so your hard work over the past 10, 20, or 30 years means nothing to the company any longer. Goodbye.
well. . . . . .YES.

I've let people go when business was down. The purpose of a business is to make money; its not a charity. I appreciate hard work, but the well being of my family comes before anyone else's.

People have every right to start their own company and run it however they want within the laws of our country. That's the beauty of the U.S.

Its not a good feeling to let people go when you know their families are depending on the job, but you can't pay people when you're not making enough money to cover their cost and maintain a profit.

That's just how it is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I don't completely disagree with you, but I believe there are times when the distribution of resources for the common good has a useful ... and sometimes necessary ... purpose. In specific instances.
redistribution is never necessary or useful for those that are filling the pot.

I'm not sure if you're an employer or an employee, but the view is completely different on my side of the fence.

People start businesses to serve a need, and more importantly make money. When I first started my business, just out of my teens, I dreamed of being able to pay employees wages above anyone else in our field, and making lots of money myself.

But fierce competition just doesn't allow it. The more saturated the market is with a certain type of business, the less you can pay employees because each company is cutting the others throat to get the business. That's just the nature of business.

But not only do the companies have to be competitive, so do the employees. And a lot of employees fail to recognize this. Why do you think migrant labor is so attractive?

Don't misunderstand me though, it is still my goal to find avenues to increase profits so that me and my employees can make more money. I really want that for them; it just can't always happen.


In the end, its my baby, and i'll run it like I see fit. I think every employer I know has the same attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Lewisburg PA
4 posts, read 44,425 times
Reputation: 13
hi i am moving to Brunswick in July can you tell me what good neighborhoods are the best to raise a kid i got a daughter she will be 10 in august we used to live in Douglas then moved back to Pa now we miss it so are planning on moving back this summer but if you can give me some advice on the good neighbor hoods and if you know where there is some places for rent i need all the advice and help i can get thank you you may also email me at dolphingirl17837@hotmail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 AM
 
140 posts, read 554,145 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
just what in the world are you talking about?

its not the responsibility of those with money to see that everyone else gets a piece of the pie.

"redistribution of wealth" is a term that needs to be wiped from our vocabulary.

this is america. you earn what you work for.

what is the benefit of me working extremely long hours and building my company each year, only to have it given to someone else because its deemed i have too much and they have too little.

maybe one day, if you happen to become successful in the pursuit of wealth, you'll understand what the problem is.


by the way, i hope you do reach that point. i hope everyone does, but not at my expense.

is it any wonder off-shore bank accounts are so appealing?

no matter how many laws they manage to pass about taxing the wealthy, there will always be a way to hide money. you need to remember the people writing these laws aren't poor, and don't want to give their money away either. so there will always be a loophole.

so i wouldn't be too optimisitic about getting a check from the "rich people". I can promise you the money won't be there.
Well said and it's about time! It's just too bad that we don't get to keep more of what we earn. This would help us to keep our employees, but the government thinks it can do a better job with our hard earned money. And it's even sadder when those not in business do not fully grasp this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top