U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 44,829 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving from the NJ/NY metro area to Brunswick GA. I love the historic homes in brunswick, the oaktrees with the moss, the palm trees, the weather..being close to the beach and the cost of housing but I have a major concern and would like feed back.
I am a people person and am artistic and I got the feeling, when visiting GA that people are a bit rigid in their mannerism and in style of dress. My fear is moving somewhere where I don't know anyone and not being able to connect with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:09 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,066,158 times
Have you considered Savannah? I don't quite understand your reference to rigid mannerisms, so I can't comment on that. However, in the manner of dress, anything goes. The Savannah College of Art and Design keeps the idea of "what to wear" in a flux. As long as you don't try for buck-naked, you won't even be noticed.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 44,829 times
thanks - no I haven't visited savanna but have heard it's beautiful. By ridiged I mean a bit stiff and stand-off-ish. You know how california people are know to have a really laid back feel and NYers can be kind of abrasive and rude..well I was picking up on a stiffness in the brunswick people. A couple of people I met who had moved into the Brunswick area years earlier told me that when the local people realize that your there and not a tourist they treat you much different. But I guess the dress and mannerism I was picking up on is that everything matches from head to toe - which is just very different from the way people dress in the NY area. I absolutely love the area but don't want to stick out - I don't go naked but from what I observed in Brunswick I would stick out - my style of dress is way more soho and I didn't see anyone who didn't match...will check out savanna thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,066,158 times
No you won't stick out. We love tourists and get all kinds. It's our business to be welcoming.

If you try to Google for information, Savanna is an african plane. Our Savannah has an "h" on the end.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 14,136 times
Hi I just moved here from Southern NJ and Brunswick Ga is very nice layed back and not all the drama and one betters like in NJ. There is a big difference from here and Jersey. Much slower here kinda set in their ways. Always end everything in maam or sir. Drop the yea which is crazy cause the accent forgetting half the letters in a word should go if u ask me. Otherwise very boring not much night life, great if you love the beach, no boardwalks or rides like home. Basically a wonderful place to raise a family. My 13 yr old daughter is having a hard time the kids are not the same. Maybe there just their age here. Where at home the kids act older but I heard teen pregnacy is high here. Crime is much better here. Safer here but alot of pervs not so great. As for dressing please believe me being a jersey girl you'll have no problem. Overall not bad just wish I had some more family here with us. Its very pretty and houses are way cheaper then home and you can get new constuction for cheap where u can't get something old cheap home. Taxes are great, not so great paying it on clothes and food though, you'll probley hate the groucery stores.....meat consists of everything pork where at home we love our beef..steak! Its really not bad at all just a little harder to get used to this life style. K.i.t

Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 28,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmariannec View Post
I'm considering moving from the NJ/NY metro area to Brunswick GA. I love the historic homes in brunswick, the oaktrees with the moss, the palm trees, the weather..being close to the beach and the cost of housing but I have a major concern and would like feed back.
I am a people person and am artistic and I got the feeling, when visiting GA that people are a bit rigid in their mannerism and in style of dress. My fear is moving somewhere where I don't know anyone and not being able to connect with people.
Hi - I am looking at moving to the Brunswick area and saw that you had went through the same thing. Did you move there? If you did, how did you find a job? I appreciate any help or insight, I am looking at moving from Wisconsin.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 28,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie32277 View Post
Hi I just moved here from Southern NJ and Brunswick Ga is very nice layed back and not all the drama and one betters like in NJ. There is a big difference from here and Jersey. Much slower here kinda set in their ways. Always end everything in maam or sir. Drop the yea which is crazy cause the accent forgetting half the letters in a word should go if u ask me. Otherwise very boring not much night life, great if you love the beach, no boardwalks or rides like home. Basically a wonderful place to raise a family. My 13 yr old daughter is having a hard time the kids are not the same. Maybe there just their age here. Where at home the kids act older but I heard teen pregnacy is high here. Crime is much better here. Safer here but alot of pervs not so great. As for dressing please believe me being a jersey girl you'll have no problem. Overall not bad just wish I had some more family here with us. Its very pretty and houses are way cheaper then home and you can get new constuction for cheap where u can't get something old cheap home. Taxes are great, not so great paying it on clothes and food though, you'll probley hate the groucery stores.....meat consists of everything pork where at home we love our beef..steak! Its really not bad at all just a little harder to get used to this life style. K.i.t
HI! I am looking at moving to the Brunswick area from Wisconsin. I would appreciate any input in job searching and apt searching. I have a degree but moving to a place that no one knows you makes it tough. Please help!
Thanks!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 22,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmariannec View Post
lived in brunswick all off my life and you can find a lot of victorian houses down the southen part of union st. a few are b&bs and one looks like it out of gone with the wind.
its really laid back some whould say slow but most people living here now come from up north. so there are alot of new comers here.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 PM

96 posts, read 388,583 times
60% black, approx. 8% hispanic and the rest white. The town suffers from an overflow of crime in Jacksonville. Housing is inexpensive which is nice some of the time, but not always. The crime rate here per capita is very high. Assaults rank # 1 with larceny, rape and murder not far behind. Such a shame that such a beautiful area has to endure all that.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 PM

51 posts, read 228,317 times
If you move to Brunswick move outside the city limits. Like the post above way too many blacks and Mexicans inside the city. In the county there are plenty of nice areas to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia