U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,303 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Never posted on any of these forums before, tho I read them often enough, but I'm hoping for some info and insights. I just relocated to Valdosta and while I find the town beautiful and the people friendly, I'm having a hard time getting a sense of the community life here. I'm 28/f and either I'm looking in the wrong places or there don't seem to be a lot of people in my age group actively participating in things here. I'm in a relationship so not looking to date, just looking for friends. I enjoy live music and dancing (hip-hop isn't my favorite, tho I don't hate it, and I love almost everything else) a lot and have been out to a few of the bars (downtown for 1st fridays, remerton, las banderas for salsa night) but mostly they seem to be populated by the really young college crowd.

I really enjoy reading and theatre and art, going to things like wine bars, book signings, talks by authors, any theatre performances, book clubs, gallery openings/art exhibits. Really anything of that nature. I know their is a local theatre group and I, unfortunately, missed the last show but plan to attend the next. I'm also planning to attend a symphony performance soon. But where else should I be looking?

I also really love just about anything outdoors-y. I love hiking, biking, snowboarding (obviously not going to be a lot of that around here, I realize), swimming, rock climbing (tho I'm pretty novice at that), skating ... pretty much anything like that. I also have a dog, so anything that involves her is great. Are there any groups for stuff like that? Good places to go?

I'm a freelance graphic designer and computer consultant and realize building a business is going to take time, it always does. Are there any good networking groups/meetings?

Basically, I'm really looking for any and all information on getting to know this town and meeting like-minded people. I honestly have a pretty eclectic set of interests and get a long with most people, I'm just not really sure where to meet them.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,482 times
Good day,

Try meetup.com. I have networked there for years and you may enjoy it. I took a quick look and there were 2 meetup groups 25 miles from Valdosta. When I changed the area to 50 miles away there were 8 groups.

If you don't see a group you can start one of your own. I hope you like it.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 8,419 times
Valdosta is a college town. You will have a very hard time finding more people like you. Especially if you are frequenting Remerton. If you head down 75 south to exit 11 there are so great picnic areas either in or just past Clayeteville (sp) That your dog would more than likely love! And another positive you are about an hour from the beach... =)

Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,523,474 times
the happening spot for people our age is the creekside tavern off gornto road. there will be a few college kids there, but they're well behaved. its mostly an adult crowd inside. You're more likely to run into shenanigans at the outdoor bar. they have a dance floor and a house band that plays every night they're open. during the breaks a DJ spins the hip-hop beats.

there is a new place called 'vegas' on hwy 84 just west of 75. i haven't been there yet; some friends went and said it was okay. it used to the place for adult crowds. i haven't asked about it lately so i'm not sure what's happening there now. it is new, so there's not a lot of info out yet. they will come pick you up and take you home in a limo if you can get a crowd together.

the downtown theatre is nice; i haven't been since the summer but its worth checking out.

there is an art museum downtown; the turner center. there is an art gallery downtown on patterson st @ the corner of w. hill ave. the VSU fine arts building always has something on display you can check out; its on the corner of oak and brookwood. its the same building that has the symphony auditorium.

the valdosta symphony orchestra puts on good shows, and they usually feature a special guest performer.

not sure where people go hiking, but i see people biking on the rural roads almost everyday. there is a bike route laid out. If you drive into the country you should start seeing the bike route signs posted along the roads.

there is a rock-climbing wall at the vsu activities center on sustella; its behind the complex on baytree rd. there are pools in there also. the YMCA on gornto road has swimming pools and other activities. other than that, you're a short drive to the coast.

there is or was a skate park off i75 exit 29 in hahira. i believe you turn to the west when you get off the interstate. i haven't paid attention lately when I drive that way so i'm not sure if its open. they been extensively remodeling mckey park off patterson st. and that may include some type of trails and skate park. here's a link for some of the parks around town.

we take our dog to the park without issues. not sure about groups. just go to the park and ask around i suppose.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM

125 posts, read 197,033 times
Look for your favorite church- just go to a different church each week until you find a home. On any Sunday at most churches you'll be invited to a variety of interest groups, and you'll get a lot of welcome to our church phone calls for weeks after visiting a church. Nearly everyone who calls will offer to visit you, take you to events, come to meetings at church, attend mid-week services, and more. If you get involved you'll be busy every night and all day on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia