Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times

Advertisements

Metro Atlanta and the rest of Georgia may be at the dawn of an era of addressing shared problems through mutual effort. That is the general conclusion of a group of five panelists who convened at the Commerce Club, in downtown Atlanta. They talked for about an hour on the topic:

“How Can Relations Improve Between Metro Atlanta and the State of Georgia.”In the new paradigm for improving relations between Atlanta and the rest of the state, employment is the starting point. “The biggest issue is jobs. It resonates across all sections and all regions of the state,” Williams said.

Jobs require a trained workforce, which makes education financing a top shared concern, said George Israel, president and CEO of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce. People need to be able to get from home to work, said Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver. That may mean a rail system that allows people to live in Augusta or Macon and ride a train to work in metro Atlanta, he said.
A desire for jobs can unite Atlanta and rest of state « SaportaReport (http://saportareport.com/blog/?p=3196 - broken link)

''On Wednesday, I served as a panelist in Atlanta at the Commerce Club’s monthly Leadership Luncheon. The topic of discussed by the panel, which included the heads of the Atlanta Metro Chamber of Commerce, the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, the Atlanta Regional Commission and the Atlanta Committee for Progress, was “How Can Relations Improve Between the City of Atlanta and the State of Georgia?”. The general consensus of the group was that addressing the state's big picture issues, including transportation, water conservation and education, and making an impact on the "two Georgia" issue can best be done by getting business and local government leaders together to start an open dialogue as to the issues our communities are facing and how they all impact the state as a whole.

With this in mind, the Atlanta Metro Chamber is now planning on making a trip to Augusta to meet with our Chamber leadership. Another initiative that came about during the conversation is for Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and a delegation of business leaders to visit Augusta and then for myself and an Augusta delegation to make a trip to Atlanta. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased at the outcome of the conversation and I look forward to pursuing these initiatives to work together towards solving issues which have an impact statewide''.
Deke Copenhaver: Augusta Weekly Update 2/12/10 | Facebook

What's your opinions? I think its a positive step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
I like the idea. I would like for my fellow Georgians to work in Atlanta and return to Augusta to be with their family and I would like to go eat some tiger shrimp on the GA coast @12 and be back in metro ATL by 2. I think it's a win-win for the both of us. Love you Georgia.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 AM

26 posts, read 181,084 times
Maintaining Georgia as a homogenous sociopolitical entity means we have to maintain the Car Culture, and the Car Culture is one of the main elements of the 20th century that I think we need to get away from.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarog View Post
Maintaining Georgia as a homogenous sociopolitical entity means we have to maintain the Car Culture, and the Car Culture is one of the main elements of the 20th century that I think we need to get away from.
Without going into a political diatribe, could you elaborate on what the "Car Culture" is, and how you propose that 99% of the population gets from one place to another when no viable transit or other options exist? How exactly is transportation morphed in your view to a "culture?"

What is your enlightened alternative? Please share.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarog View Post
Interesting. +1

But keep in mind that GA is the size of many countries in the world. We need to stay realistic too.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
We need to stay realistic too.
Ya think so?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 AM

17 posts, read 35,586 times
Perhaps one of the best things that can happen is the economic development of a couple of other areas beyond the Atlanta metro. Many Georgians beyond the metro ATL area often feel left out and unheard because it seems to always be about Atlanta. I'm an Atlanta native who loves my city, but look at states like TX, NC, and FL. They have cities spread out in other parts of the state that are recognized and get industry and the growth isn't just concentrated in one area. This will be increasingly important because the growth in Atlanta has slowed dramatically due to the recession and perhaps this will allow the metro area an opportunity to regroup and start solving some serious issues until growth picks back up. We are all Georgians at the end of the day and growth and development for another area of Georgia will be great for the whole state.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
a rail system from macon or augusta into atlanta isn't focusing on the rest of the state; its still trying to bring everyone and everything into atlanta.

i don't believe there will be a solution to satisfy everyone.

and i don't think most of us on the southern border feel left out; most really don't care either way about atlanta.

atlanta has nothing to do with any new businesses or people that move in here. our local leaders advertise the city and recruit business based on what we have to offer.

this area identifies itself more with north florida than atlanta, and that's fine with everyone.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
a rail system from macon or augusta into atlanta isn't focusing on the rest of the state; its still trying to bring everyone and everything into atlanta.

i don't believe there will be a solution to satisfy everyone.

and i don't think most of us on the southern border feel left out; most really don't care either way about atlanta.

atlanta has nothing to do with any new businesses or people that move in here. our local leaders advertise the city and recruit business based on what we have to offer.

this area identifies itself more with north florida than atlanta, and that's fine with everyone.
Im not sure if I am understanding you correctly.If you are saying that the rest of the state does not benefit greatly from the presence of Atlanta(and its success),then I think you like many other south Georgians are dead wrong.

For example:It is because of the success of Atlanta's airport(cargo in particular)that the ports of Savannah and Brunswick are now international water ports that have increase their tonnage capacity in such a short time.

Macon growth is almost entirely in the North of the city closer to Atlanta.Although the further the city,the less influence in some cases,Logistics and infrastructure is the main reasons for this.Atlanta since its inception grew because of its rail ties alone to other cities.Now its somewhat vice versa.

Do not think for one moment that a company considering setting up operations in any one of Georgia cities is looking at Georgia without thinking of Atlanta and its amenities.Anyway in which ALL of Georgia's cities can work together to have closer ties DIRECTLY and NON-Direct,that's a boon for those cities too.

If this was not a problem then more of Georgia's cities would be growing at a higher rate.Many have even lost population. Obviously less people are able to make a living or are not happy with there surroundings,otherwise more cities would retain their talented people.

I grew up in Warner Robins.I have often considered moving to downtown Macon in a loft.But I know I would get tired of it after a while do to me being bored without the things i crave for in Atlanta.

Imagine if there were a high speed train that ran from Atl to Macon or Savannah.I could own a house in Macon.Which means Macon would get my taxes.The grocery stores where I would get my food,etc..

Imagine a high speed rail that could pick up German visiting Atlanta for a week to take a day trip to Savannah to eat at the restaurants,visit the sights ,and browse the gift shops.

The City of Atlanta is the only one of Georgia's major cities that has grown at its current phenomenal rate.If these areas would concentrate on more ways to use that as advantage instead of an adversarial approach,maybe they then will also benefit.

I understand what you say about the Valdosta area identifying more with N.FL ,so should Florida build rail and infrastructure to benefit the Jacksonville or Tallahassee? How much of Florida tax dollars do you get for your schools?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
.Imagine if there were a high speed train that ran from Atl to Macon or Savannah.I could own a house in Macon.Which means Macon would get my taxes.The grocery stores where I would get my food,etc..

Imagine a high speed rail that could pick up German visiting Atlanta for a week to take a day trip to Savannah to eat at the restaurants,visit the sights ,and browse the gift shops.
Imagine the huge cost to build, operate, and maintain. Imagine that no one has a clear understanding of the need or the potential ridership. You don't build these kinds of infrastructure projects to serve a few people or because it's cool.

If we have valid statistics that show a need for rail between Atlanta and Savannah, at a reasonable capital cost per mile with an operating cost that can be met from fares, then I'm all for it. My perception is that it's mostly fantasy and less reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia