Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't think most people understood what question 1 was about. The wording on those amendments is setup as to be confusing and mislead. Had that question been worded in a way that indicated the true meaning, it would have probably failed.
You are right about this. Mix that with the fact the only Amendment that seemed to have any advertising going its way and the fact those ads were misleading as well. I haven't found too many people that understood what that amendment was about other than to say it was "pro business, so I voted for it." I've actually had several people give me that exact same response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:47 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I Plotted the vote on the trama centers vote. Notice the counties near Trama centers voted for it, The one Far away from one voted it down in big numbers. Just a interseting obs. It was not a North vs South Georgia, It was Urban vs Rural.
Attached Thumbnails
Tomorrow's State-Wide Referendums-full_map.jpg  

Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Thank you so much for this! I was just in the process of trying to look up the same information...

Old 11-07-2010, 08:02 PM

What is so interesting to me is that the money was clearly more beneficial to rural residents than urban residents.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Not really because we all know that only CERTAIN people will get to use it, while everybody else funds it. Kinda like grady.. Hm wait. Isn't grady a trauma center?! And even that can't stay out of the red. Why build more?

When you build something in downtown atlanta, do you really think people from waycross will ever benefit/use it? Lol. For all purposes they might as well fund projects in jacksonville. They actually have a chance of reaching there on time

Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM

314 posts, read 639,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Not really because we all know that only CERTAIN people will get to use it, while everybody else funds it. Kinda like grady.. Hm wait. Isn't grady a trauma center?! And even that can't stay out of the red. Why build more?

Are you flipping kidding me?

Why build more? Because *BY ALL ACCOUNTS* Georgia has *FAR* too few trauma centers, and people are dying because of it. The CERTAIN people who are dying the most and needing it the most (RURAL PEOPLE) are the ones who voted against it. The people in Atlanta, who already have plenty of trauma centers, are the ones who voted for it.

But again, greed and ignorance rule the day in Georgia politics. People are clenching so tightly to their wallets that they don't even realize how bad they're making it for THEMSELVES. They're so worried about making sure someone else doesn't benefit from THEIR measly 10 dollars, they're willing to risk death over it.

EDIT: And what's the "CERTAIN" people supposed to mean? You mean people who get into car accident on rural highways (not that that ever happens, wildlife never cross the road in rural areas!), people who get into hunting accidents, people who accidentally have a gun discharge in their home.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:43 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I found these interesting links about the trauma center issue. The first is clearly a political ad for it, but it has an interesting map!
(http://www.yes2savelives.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/mapV2.jpg (broken link))

I found an older ad from the last time they tried to get money for it (http://www.gha.org/Keyissues/TraumaDocument.pdf (broken link)). It has an interesting map highlighting counties of building new trauma centers.

This is a Word Document that shows a rough trauma center plan. It does not seem to have any specifics though, but it shows some of their organizational goals

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...3tXZLQ&cad=rja)

A few key points:
-Form geographic areas for organizational structure of Level I trauma centers
-enhance medical communication
-regulate air medical transport to spread helicopter readiness throughout the state rather than centered at a Level 1 trauma center.
-build 4-6 level II-III in southern Georgia
Of course none of this lists costs and this document does not tell what this tax will/won't fund, but it shows the state's general 5-year plan.

This is an interactive map from the CDC that shows 1-hour ambulance/helicopter trauma center access in the U.S. (Note: It seems to be missing a hospital in Savannah that is a level 1 Trauma center)
(CDC - Injury - Trauma Care)
cwkimbro I have a few friends in the metro Atlanta area & I really don't want to trash Georgia on the issue of trauma care but I have to! How much more backwards can Georgia be with voters turning down something as important as funding trauma hospitals or care?
I looked up your CDC link and here are some stats:

Helicopter or ambulance transport within 1 hour of a Level 1 or 2 trauma center.
Florida: 97.2% of the state's population is within a 1 hour reach of a trauma center. (That's nearly 20 million people)
Georgia: 84% of the state's population is within a 1 hour reach of a trauma center.The map from the CDC shows that most of south Georgia has no coverage!

I read some of the comments on the other thread and some people were saying they can always use Florida's trauma centers from South Georgia! Others complained they were being nickel & dimed to death or what about people who own 5 cars! Duh if you can afford 5 cars you can spend an extra $50 a year!
Florida had a budget shortfall & you know what the state did? They doubled my auto registration fees from last year! I had no choice but to pay it! I have a friend of mine who is considering moving to Georgia & visits his family there. I guess I will have to pray for him everytime he drives through southern Georgia!

Last edited by MiamiRob; 11-12-2010 at 02:55 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
Are you flipping kidding me?

Why build more? Because *BY ALL ACCOUNTS* Georgia has *FAR* too few trauma centers, and people are dying because of it. The CERTAIN people who are dying the most and needing it the most (RURAL PEOPLE) are the ones who voted against it. The people in Atlanta, who already have plenty of trauma centers, are the ones who voted for it.

But again, greed and ignorance rule the day in Georgia politics. People are clenching so tightly to their wallets that they don't even realize how bad they're making it for THEMSELVES. They're so worried about making sure someone else doesn't benefit from THEIR measly 10 dollars, they're willing to risk death over it.

EDIT: And what's the "CERTAIN" people supposed to mean? You mean people who get into car accident on rural highways (not that that ever happens, wildlife never cross the road in rural areas!), people who get into hunting accidents, people who accidentally have a gun discharge in their home.
You are free to contribute your 10$ to whatever stupid TAX you want. We are flat BROKE, UNEMPLOYED and without retirement.

The people voted PROPERLY. if you don't like it, go charge some more charity to your credit card and default on it. seems to be a trend lately

Every last stupid sob (as you are so adamant in calling people) in this state knows that:

1 10$ aint gonna fund squat

2 10$ aint going to be used as appropriated

which will only lead to more DEBT and red ink and more taxes as the state tries to fund another stupid failed venture.

It was a pretext to introduce another TAX and people saw right though it! There is still some GA left. What the liberals didn't destroy... since they swarmed the place and turned it into overspending money crazy copy of california/nj/ny

Old 11-12-2010, 01:59 PM

314 posts, read 639,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
You are free to contribute your 10$ to whatever stupid TAX you want. We are flat BROKE, UNEMPLOYED and without retirement.

The people voted PROPERLY. if you don't like it, go charge some more charity to your credit card and default on it. seems to be a trend lately

Every last stupid sob (as you are so adamant in calling people) in this state knows that:

1 10$ aint gonna fund squat

2 10$ aint going to be used as appropriated

which will only lead to more DEBT and red ink and more taxes as the state tries to fund another stupid failed venture.

It was a pretext to introduce another TAX and people saw right though it! There is still some GA left. What the liberals didn't destroy... since they swarmed the place and turned it into overspending money crazy copy of california/nj/ny

So you're just retarded. Fair enough. (The fact that there are 5.8 million licensed drivers in Georgia, and most georgia drivers have at least 1 car, means that we're talking between 50 and 70 million dollars alone is enough to prove you don't think things through to well with the '10$ aint gonna fund squat' comment). I guess the up-side of this whole situation is that people like you who live further from trauma centers and voted against the funding are going to be the most likely to die as a direct result of your vote, so maybe after a few decades the retardation will have weeded itself out? And people thought evolution no longer applied to the human race!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
#1 is a free-market initiative, similar to how right-to-work is paradoxically not a free-market initiative.

Non-compete clauses are like union-shop clauses--agreements that are voluntarily made between employers and employees. You can be for or against the government allowing them to be enforced--in Georgia, you are not allowed to enforce union shop clauses, thus making us a "right-to-work" state. But when the right trumpets that as a free-market move, it's kind of a load of BS. Similarly, when the left decries this as an anti-free-market move, it's pretty misleading. Of note, there are still restrictions on non-compete clauses, and they are in line with a number of other states as far as I know (our laws used to be viewed as quite restrictive, which, yes, could have in impact on whether R&D firms decide to locate here or elsewhere; if merely one part of the clause was out-of-bounds, the entire clause was invalid, even if the part being distputed had nothing to do with the out-of-bounds bit).

In other words, neither side seems to be hitting #1 on the head. Instead they are making it sound like the poor guy who got fired from McDonald's won't be able to work at Burger King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: