Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 AM

196 posts, read 208,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
Sarah Palin has a record of accomplishment, too, not to mention degrees from Harvard, Princeton, and the London School of Economics.
Are you serious? She's never taken a class at Harvard.

After graduating from high school, Palin enrolled at the University of Hawaii in Hilo.[39] Shortly after arriving in Hawaii, Palin switched to Hawaii Pacific University for a semester in the fall of 1982 and then North Idaho College in the spring and fall of 1983.[40] In June 2008, the Alumni Association of North Idaho College gave her its Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award.[41] She attended the University of Idaho in the fall of 1984 and spring of 1985, and attended Matanuska-Susitna College in the fall of 1985. Palin returned to the University of Idaho in the spring of 1986, receiving her bachelor's degree in communications with an emphasis in journalism in 1987.

She has a party major: "communications & journalism". That's the degree my brother chose specifically because he wanted to "party hearty" instead of study. She's never set foot in a classroom at Harvard, Princeton, or the London School of Economics as far as I can tell. I'm sure she'd be laughed out of the classroom at any decent college.
She seems to have quit U.Hawaii-Hilo, then quit North Idaho, then quit U-Idaho, then quit Matanuska-Susitna... plus we all know she quit as Governor.

As far as Atlanta goes, Palin will have much less support here than in other areas of Georgia. I do see a good amount of McCain/Palin bumper stickers on cars in the Dunwoody area, as well as other areas. I'm always shocked that people would admit to supporting such a slouch candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
I'm always shocked that people would admit to supporting such a slouch candidate.
I know what you mean...people are still sporting Obama For President bumper stickers two years after that debacle.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Dude what? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? You do both on the same issue in the same post.
I thought I was disagreeing. I took your comment as you'd rather have Obama than Palin.

I'd rather not have either one, but I'd much sooner have Palin than Obama. Obama is a disaster with both the wrong idea and wrong execution, while at least Palin has the right idea, but probably poor execution.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Obama is a disaster with both the wrong idea and wrong execution, while at least Palin has the right idea, but probably poor execution.
My feeling exactly.
Mitt Romney, where are you?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Reforming health care was the right course of action regardless of what you, or other Georgians, believe.
I concur that "reforming" healthcare and reducing costs and tort reform is what we need. The problem is that the huge law that was rammed through by the Democrats without any bipartisan support contains neither. We can "reform" healthcare without a big government takeover.

In my own personal life, I have already seen the results negatively impact my healthcare coverage. My company has informed us that we will have a high deductible plan, starting in 2013, presumably due to the taxes being levied on so-called "cadillac plans" which means that the rhetoric about "if you like your plan, then you can keep it" was BS.

Quote:
Of course Americans with good health care insurance don't want to see some of their peachy benefits reduced. They're self-centered, selfish, and spoiled brats. "I've got mine, too bad for the millions who have crummy, or no health insurance."
That is crap. Plain and simple. Nice for you to label a majority of the American people with nasty names, because they disagree with an ill conceived and class warfare motivated big gov't take over.

Quote:
I'm willing to give some of my excellent health care benefits to others less fortunate than myself. Other Georgians, and Americans, are not so altruistic and charitable. Shame on them!
That all sounds so wonderful...it just gets less wonderful when your own benefits get cut (as mine are about to do) and you're asked to pay for someone else's.

Quote:
Health care must absolutely, positively be rationed. Especially in light of our aging population and the prospect of deterioating health.
Sounds fine, unless and until you're the person in need of healthcare that you can't obtain. Just like paying for it....sounds good until you have to do it yourself.

Quote:
Health care should be a right and not for profit.
Nothing in our Constitution about healthcare, yet there is plenty about illegal search and seizure and property rights.

Quote:
This country is a mess after Bush. There's a lot of pain ahead, most likely for a generation or two. This country is broke. Contrary to what was Cheney's mantra, deficits do matter.
The mess is what's going on now...and the people have rebuked it in the last election.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
Are you serious? She's never taken a class at Harvard.

After graduating from high school, Palin enrolled at the University of Hawaii in Hilo.[39] Shortly after arriving in Hawaii, Palin switched to Hawaii Pacific University for a semester in the fall of 1982 and then North Idaho College in the spring and fall of 1983.[40] In June 2008, the Alumni Association of North Idaho College gave her its Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award.[41] She attended the University of Idaho in the fall of 1984 and spring of 1985, and attended Matanuska-Susitna College in the fall of 1985. Palin returned to the University of Idaho in the spring of 1986, receiving her bachelor's degree in communications with an emphasis in journalism in 1987.

She has a party major: "communications & journalism". That's the degree my brother chose specifically because he wanted to "party hearty" instead of study. She's never set foot in a classroom at Harvard, Princeton, or the London School of Economics as far as I can tell. I'm sure she'd be laughed out of the classroom at any decent college.
She seems to have quit U.Hawaii-Hilo, then quit North Idaho, then quit U-Idaho, then quit Matanuska-Susitna... plus we all know she quit as Governor.

As far as Atlanta goes, Palin will have much less support here than in other areas of Georgia. I do see a good amount of McCain/Palin bumper stickers on cars in the Dunwoody area, as well as other areas. I'm always shocked that people would admit to supporting such a slouch candidate.

I was kidding.

I don't even think Karen Handel, a high school graduate, would want Sarah Palin's crummy college resume. Granted, she has a college degree but the number of college transfers makes your head spin.

Sarah Palin has no chance becoming president. She will milk her fame and shake a lot of money trees, but as far as political office is concerned she's dead meat. Quitting the governor's job, as you have mentioned, was a no-no.

I do believe in the future the bar should be raised much higher for presidential candidates. Only the best of the best will have the intellect to put all of the pieces back together. And Sarah Palin certainly doesn't have the intellect.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:55 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,610 times
Quote:
I concur that "reforming" healthcare and reducing costs and tort reform is what we need. The problem is that the huge law that was rammed through by the Democrats without any bipartisan support contains neither. We can "reform" healthcare without a big government takeover.

In my own personal life, I have already seen the results negatively impact my healthcare coverage. My company has informed us that we will have a high deductible plan, starting in 2013, presumably due to the taxes being levied on so-called "cadillac plans" which means that the rhetoric about "if you like your plan, then you can keep it" was BS.

That is crap. Plain and simple. Nice for you to label a majority of the American people with nasty names, because they disagree with an ill conceived and class warfare motivated big gov't take over.

That all sounds so wonderful...it just gets less wonderful when your own benefits get cut (as mine are about to do) and you're asked to pay for someone else's.

Sounds fine, unless and until you're the person in need of healthcare that you can't obtain. Just like paying for it....sounds good until you have to do it yourself.

Nothing in our Constitution about healthcare, yet there is plenty about illegal search and seizure and property rights.

The mess is what's going on now...and the people have rebuked it in the last election.

Our health care system was in such a state of disrepair that we had to almost start over from scratch.

As we all know, money talks. And big money shouts. And huge money screams. This country has been at the mercy of powerful health insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and of course the good guys we all love: lobbyists. Do these fine, repsectable folks want to see some big changes in our health care system? No! Many of these folks are profiting handsomely from a system that is broken.

A month ago I read where some pharmaceutical companies are cutting back on cancer-fighting drugs. They proclaim that the profit margins are not there, so guess who really, really, really loses? The cancer patients. They may lose their lives. How much are the pharmaceutical company executives losing? I'm so sorry to hear their salary may drop from $2.8 million to $2.6 million.

Did you honestly think health care reform would have bipartisan support, huh? For decades this subject has been a red hot button issue. You could cut the tension with a knife.

"OK little boys and girls we're going to wear our love beads, hold hands, and have bipartisan support." Not on your life!

Many Republicans, and their constituients back in their solidly Republican districts, were almost to the point of arming themselves and driving to Washington. Why? I assume they were up in arms because they feared changes in the health care system that would negatively impact their lives. I have news for them. Yes, the changes probably will. But they're thinking of themselves, and not about the people without health insurance.

My private health care premium is $10,000, because I'm partly paying for the folks who don't have health care insurance.

I had a health problem a couple of years ago that required immediate attention on a Saturday night.

I drove to Piedmont Hospital. In the emergency room, there were quite a few impoverished people. When they have a health problem, they go to an ER room. That's the worst place to go. But they have no health insurance.

My little visit was very expensive. And, the doctors misdiagnosed the problem and presribed a medication that was potent and useless.

Our country is run for the benefit of politicians; not for the people. And the politicians make sure they have the best health care and the best pensions.

Unfortunately the political climate in Washington, and the state capitals, is highly politicized. From the day Obama was sworn-in, the Republicans were formulating strategies to make Obama's presidency difficult.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Our health care system was in such a state of disrepair that we had to almost start over from scratch.
This is a false argument perpetuated by those who want to scrap the system in favor of a single payer, gov't controlled solution. The real answer is to tweak the things that influence cost, and we have not addressed tort reform or illegal immigration, medicaid, or the system of emergency room care that is provided for routine care at huge billed costs. It's the healthcare equivalent of the DOD paying for $100 hammers.

There is much we can do, and much that was proposed by the Republicans to increase affordability and reduce costs. For the most part, these ideas were completely ignored in favor of a big gov't solution that will not achieve the goals.

Quote:
Did you honestly think health care reform would have bipartisan support, huh? For decades this subject has been a red hot button issue. You could cut the tension with a knife.
Not as long as those who are only interested in a big gov't takeover ram their will down our throats. There were many ideas on the table that were ignored, and I think you'll start to see some of them discussed as funding for implementation of Obama-care is reviewed by the HOR this year.

There are incremental solutions that can increase coverage for American citizens, reduce costs for business, and keep quality high.

To tie all this back to the topic...Palin supports the fundamental premise that the gov't gets its power from the consent of the governed. In that way, I think her injection into the political discourse has been a wake up call, along with the organic and overwhelming opposition to Obama and Pelosi's policies.

What I think GA voters will do in 2012 is vote for the Presidential candidate that gets us back to the point where we reduce spending to acceptable levels while not putting a lid on economic growth through new taxes. I think Georgians want what most Americans told us they want in 2010 as a result of the election....LESS GOV'T and more economic freedom.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
There is much we can do, and much that was proposed by the Republicans to increase affordability and reduce costs. For the most part, these ideas were completely ignored in favor of a big gov't solution that will not achieve the goals. ... Not as long as those who are only interested in a big gov't takeover ram their will down our throats. There were many ideas on the table that were ignored, and I think you'll start to see some of them discussed as funding for implementation of Obama-care is reviewed by the HOR this year.
I agree, and I have been an Obama supporter. Still am in several ways, for that matter, but I don't believe big government offers a good solution to healthcare costs.

BTW, eliminating malpractice claims is a red herring in my opinion. It's only a tiny fraction of healthcre costs and there's no reason to cut off people who've been killed or seriously injured. We wouldn't address transporaton costs by saying you can't sue if you're run over by a truck. Nor would we tell a businessman just to forget it if he gets shafted by an incompetent supplier or accountant.

The latest studies still show an enormous number of people getting injured by substandard practice. For exmaple, in North Carolina:

Quote:
The researchers found 588 instances in which a patient was harmed by medical care, or 25.1 injuries per 100 admissions.

Not all the problems were serious. Most were temporary and treatable, like a bout with severe low blood sugar from receiving too much insulin or a urinary infection caused by a catheter. But 42.7 percent of them required extra time in the hospital for treatment of problems like an infected surgical incision.

In 2.9 percent of the cases, patients suffered a permanent injury — brain damage from a stroke that could have been prevented after an operation, for example. A little more than 8 percent of the problems were life-threatening, like severe bleeding during surgery. And 2.4 percent of them caused or contributed to a patient’s death — like bleeding and organ failure after surgery.

Medication errors caused problems in 162 cases. Computerized systems for ordering drugs can cut such mistakes by up to 80 percent, Dr. Landrigan said. But only 17 percent of hospitals have such systems.

For the most part, the reporting of medical errors or harm to patients is voluntary, and that “vastly underestimates the frequency of errors and injuries that occur,” Dr. Landrigan said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/he...25patient.html

Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Ron Paul or bust..

Palin, lol, I seriously laughed out loud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia