U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have grown up in this area. South Fayette, actually, but my husband and I moved into griffin when we got married. Definately if you move to Griffin...move on the north end closer to Fayette county...or in Fayette county if you are able. Some parts of Griffin are not all that safe. Some good areas in Griffin are Vaughn Rd., West Mcintosh Rd., New Salem Rd.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 74,983 times
Wow thanks we have been told to stay to the east and south of Griffin due to that same reason. We had a real estate agent send us some rental property listings, but I have no clue what to look at so hubby is on his own finding a place. Its kinda hard for me in Tx to help him inthat aspect.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,425 times
Hello, do you know anything about Locust Grove in Henry County?? My family is relocating to this area but have never been there!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 15,146 times
Default I used to Live in Griffin.

You have been getting a lot of good advice on here so far. The fastest growing area close by is Henry county. Locust grove will be less expensive than most. You said southeast of Griffin. I live south of there too. I was working publishing Newcomer Maps all in that area for area Chambers of Commerce. I asked a local there once in Griffin over a beer how he liked it. He said and I quote this was a couple of years ago so.." Well Georgia has the lowest S.A.T. scores in the nation, And Spaulding County is the lowest in the state, and Griffin has the lowest in the county...we have the dumbest kids in the nation!" End quote! I would do some research if you have kids. I have a website that has all of the chambers of commerce on them they will send you more. Newnan is a nice area too. Good luck, Mike

Old 07-26-2007, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,967 times
Hello from GEORGIA. I would highly recommend living in Griffin, GA. It is located about 40 miles south of Atlanta. It has really grown in the last several years and is beging to be considered on "the out skirts of Metro Atlanta". HOWEVER, Griffin still has not lost it's small town, down home flair. The people are generally very friendly and helpful. Living in Griffin you will be "near the big city by driving just a short distantance" yet you would be living in a more quite laid back area away from the "hussell & bussell" of the big city. You can have the best of both worlds.... Welcome to GEORGIA in advance!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,490 times
I have lived in Griffin all my life and this is what I can tell you--

The public schools are terrible and are continuing to get worse. If you choose to send your child to public school these are some of the better ones: Spalding HS, Crescent Elementary, Taylor St. Middle. There is one private school in Griffin I would recommend: Griffin Christian Academy (Pre K-8) & Griffin Christian HS. Gordon College nearby also has an excellent nursing program.

The nicest areas to live in are definitely: The Griffin Country Club, Maple Drive area, College Street area, & The Dairy.

As far as shopping goes, do not expect much. We have a super Wal Mart, Belk, Goodys, & that is about it. No mall. There is much better shopping in Fayetteville & Peachtree City--30 minutes away. The closest mall is Southlake Mall in Jonesboro and it is of poor quality. Also, not too much in the way of fine dining. El Charro Mexican Restaraunt, Applebees, O'Charleys, J. Henrys, & Manhattans are all good though.

Griffin is located in central GA about 40 minutes from Atlanta (Turner Field/Airport area). Only 5 minutes from NASCAR's Atlanta Motor Speedway. It is nice because there is never any traffic to deal with--at any time of the day. It has a beautiful historic downtown area with lots of quaint shops and restaurants. There are many rural areas which are nice if you are looking for a quiet country home/farm. Griffin is a fairly poor town however & many of its citizens never go to college or graduate high school. The teen pregnancy & drug trafficking rates are also high. Weather is wonderful most of the year--it rarely snows or breaks over 100 degrees.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask. You may also want to look into Brooks, GA. It is a very small town 10 minutes from Griffin. It is VERY rural but has some very nice areas.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,932 times
Default Yes vs. No

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierwifetoddlermom View Post
Hi. I have grown up in this area. South Fayette, actually, but my husband and I moved into griffin when we got married. Definately if you move to Griffin...move on the north end closer to Fayette county...or in Fayette county if you are able. Some parts of Griffin are not all that safe. Some good areas in Griffin are Vaughn Rd., West Mcintosh Rd., New Salem Rd.
Hope this helps.
Hello, My husband as an opportunity to except a position in Griffin and I am trying to get all the info I can before we make a move to griffin.We have two small children ages 6 and 22months and we also like the GOLF community,is there any great communities with great schools ,golf courses and lots to do.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,146 times
Default Recourses to find a nice place.

I know of a neat website that sends you free maps. Or you can download them.
There are links to chambers of commerce and demographic info. Many places will send you a newcomer packet. It's Where 2 Go Maps (broken link)

Locust Grove in nice. The Real Estate goes up and down all over there.
I saw a nice older Victorian fixer upper. Henry County is one of the fastest growing areas in Georgia. The traffic shows it! Check out the site. I hope it all works out for you.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:57 PM

283 posts, read 1,106,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen70 View Post
Hello, My husband as an opportunity to except a position in Griffin and I am trying to get all the info I can before we make a move to griffin.We have two small children ages 6 and 22months and we also like the GOLF community,is there any great communities with great schools ,golf courses and lots to do.
If you can afford it you should try for anywhere in Fayette County it currently fits the wants stated here better than any area surrounding it but all are improving and growing rapidly. Sounds like you’re reasonably able to afford a nice or nicer home so this shouldn't be a problem. I agree with most of everything I've read here but wanted to add a little more information. I think you are probably getting into the area at one of the best times. Griffin has certainly had it fair of problems but its recent growth is improving the city by leaps and bounds. Many more affluent people are moving to the area and are using their money to improve things on more of a socio-economic level. Traffic woes in Griffin are limited to race day only, being only few miles from the ATL Motor Speedway and one of its major routes (19&41) to and from runs directly through town.

Although I currently live in CA, my residence is in Locust Grove and I spent most of my life in Fayette County. I still prefer Fayette County but most of my immediate family lives in Locust Grove now so having a home there makes it easier when I get to come home. Locust Grove is a great place as well and should meet most anyone’s needs. The homes are very reasonably priced and the schools are good but Fayette County has a better and longer running reputation for schools. Real estate prices are climbing quickly all over the area but I tend to be a leery of Henry County's growth because it seems to be too quick and not well managed. I would use caution in purchasing homes in the cookie cutter subdivisions because the quality of construction isn't always what it should be. My sister is currently experiencing problems with this; just 3 houses down from mine. When the home was constructed the floor wasn't properly built and is now sagging only 5 yrs after it was built. So take a structural engineer along with you to ensure that your investment is worth it. They generally don't charge much more than getting a termite letter anyway so it’s well worth it starting around $200 and quickly going up for the service.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,768 times
Wink need help

hi i stay in dayton ohio and i'm trying to move to griffin ga because there are no jobs in dayton and i heard that it was a quiet city and that is just what i need my funds are low and i would not be able to travel back and forth to get things situated i would need to find a low income apartment that would let me fill out an apt through mail and when the apartment became avalible only then would i be able to travel to grffin i also would need some type of public asst. untill i find a job so if you can help me out please e-mail me at sny_dllrd@yahoo.com thank you to who ever respond with some much needed information and advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia