U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM

9 posts, read 74,980 times

Advertisements

Hello, we live in Dallas, Tx and hubby has been offered a job in Griffin. I would like to know more about the town we are about to move to. his work will be south east of Griffin so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 14,398 times
I work in Griffin and it is a quaint country town. Far enough away from the hustle of Downtown but can access city life when desired. I love it's slow paced environment. Not much really to say as far as specifics but if you like slow and quiet, Griffin is for you.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 PM

214 posts, read 1,802,041 times
You may want to check out Brooks (in South Fayette County) too. I have heard wonderful things about it and it isn't that far from Griffin to commute to. Another nice thing about Griffin is you will not have to deal with the Atlanta traffic since you are a good 45 minutes south of the city! Is your husband's job in Griffin/Spalding County? You said it was southeast so I am not sure if you mean it is in Spalding County or the county southeast of Spalding. (I think that may be Monroe County?)

Old 07-13-2007, 06:02 AM

22 posts, read 81,189 times
There are several small towns not far FROM Griffin that you might find appealing. I would suggest checking those towns out before actually making plans to live IN Griffin. We only go to Griffin when we HAVE to

Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 AM

218 posts, read 1,100,520 times
Yes, try Fayetteville, it's only about 20-25 minutes from Griffin. Visited there for the first time this summer; been living here all my life, though. Don't know if I would want to live there. Real slow paced; as an earlier post said, if you like that type of environment, it's for you. Try Hampton or McDonough too, they are not that far from Griffin either (Henry County).

Old 07-13-2007, 10:15 AM

214 posts, read 1,802,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
Yes, try Fayetteville, it's only about 20-25 minutes from Griffin. Visited there for the first time this summer; been living here all my life, though. Don't know if I would want to live there. Real slow paced; as an earlier post said, if you like that type of environment, it's for you. Try Hampton or McDonough too, they are not that far from Griffin either (Henry County).
Forgot, Locust Grove would be good too. It is located in southern Henry County (just north of Griffin). It is not as built up as McDonough yet.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 PM

I just read the thead about the 5 best/worst things about Ga. It kinda scared me. I just want to live in a small, slow, town. I live in a HUGE Citie with all the problems I cant stand anymore. Please tell me im not about to jump out of the pan into the fire....

Old 07-21-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,402 times
I live in a small town about 20 miles from Griffin and I love it (my town not Griffin). I moved here from the Phoenix area where I grew up (and lived for 48 years) and the factors for leaving waere the massive growth accompanied by more crime, pollution, traffic congestion. My wife and I have lived in middle Georgia for 5 years and we love it. It's green and beautiful. Just stay as far away from Atlanta as possible.

If are going to live IN Griffin look at the S.E. part of town near the Old Atlanta Highway. There are some nice older houses there.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:53 AM

ok my hubby got there last night and with in an hour of being at the hotel he was approached by a lady that lives i the surrounding area. She was there for a family get together and noticed his Tx plates. They got to talking and then he called me and I talked with her. How cool was that!!!! She offered me a job and her assistance in trying to find us a place. What a nice person!!!! ALso the owner of the diner he was at also had numerous homes for sale or lease and he was just overwhelmed at all the nice people welcoming him there and trying to help. Once back in the hotel room he called me again to tell me about his evening with all the wonderful people he had met and cant wait to have me and the kids come. Ga has really made an impression on my hubby which is no easy feat. Looks like we will be moving sooner than planned due to the overwhelming people he has met in less than an hour there. Thanks

Last edited by Gal5; 07-22-2007 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 AM

22 posts, read 81,189 times
In driving through Zebulon today (on a shopping trip to another town) I remembered that it's VERY close to Griffin. Zebulon is a small town this is in the process of restoring the businesses on the town square. There is a VERY nice NEW bookstore (mainly used books) on the square in Zebulon. I personally think it's well worth a visit because of the ambiance. The bookstore is owned by several women and the owners can give you a lot of information about Zebulon. There is a Saturday morning farmers market in Zebulon on the square as well. And I believe there is something going on on Wednesday nights...like shopping and music. Zebulon might be a place to consider moving, but even if you decide to live in Griffin, Zebulon could be a fun place to visit on a Saturday morning with the farmers market and the bookstore.

If you do move to Griffin, you might want to check out the restaurant, J. Henry's in the older section of town. It's not fancy, but very popular. Also, there is an antique store in that section of town (Antiques Griffin) that is not fancy and the owners are WONDERFUL people. The turn over in vintage and antique pieces in that store is very fast, so if you're interested in this type of thing, it's worth checking out the store regularly. We don't live in Griffin, but we acquired a lot of pieces from that store to help furnish our house. The owners as well as some of the booth "owners" in the store have given us a LOT of information over the years on where to find different kinds of things (resturants and things like that).

I'm really glad your husband has had a positive experience. We've found a LOT of people in Middle Georgia to be really, really nice and helpful.

Wishing you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia