U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2007, 05:20 AM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,403 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs964 View Post
I lived in Grayson/Lawrenceville for 10 years and never saw a deer. I guess it depends on the area. I live in Helen and see deer all the time in my front yard, back yard, etc.. They will eat your shrubs, hedges; they stripped all of the green from my azealas.
Oh my God! Who can stop "mother nature's beasts"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 AM
 
7,100 posts, read 25,069,388 times
Reputation: 7346
Beasts? Do you mean the two legged or the four legged kind. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
10 posts, read 25,530 times
Reputation: 18
Default Deer in Georgia

We lived for 23 years in Peachtree City, Georgia, just 26 miles south of the airport. PTC grew from 6000 to over 36000 people in that time, and the last year we were there, 2005, we had deer in our backyard in the middle of the city at least several times a week. Sometimes there would be 4 or 5 together. Once we had a doe and twin fawns eating near our bird feeder. Our backyard (2/3 acre) was wooded and backed up to a green area, but many times I've seen them in neighbors front yards in the middle of the night, browsing on the shrubs.

The other BIG issue is that they FREQUENTLY run out in front of cars, night, twilight, and daytime. If you hit a deer driving 40 - 50 miles an hour, you can be killed. They do a tremendous amount of property damage each year. You have to be very alert and careful when you drive there, and I've even seen them run across the interstate highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 08:00 PM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,403 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrives View Post
We lived for 23 years in Peachtree City, Georgia, just 26 miles south of the airport. PTC grew from 6000 to over 36000 people in that time, and the last year we were there, 2005, we had deer in our backyard in the middle of the city at least several times a week. Sometimes there would be 4 or 5 together. Once we had a doe and twin fawns eating near our bird feeder. Our backyard (2/3 acre) was wooded and backed up to a green area, but many times I've seen them in neighbors front yards in the middle of the night, browsing on the shrubs.

The other BIG issue is that they FREQUENTLY run out in front of cars, night, twilight, and daytime. If you hit a deer driving 40 - 50 miles an hour, you can be killed. They do a tremendous amount of property damage each year. You have to be very alert and careful when you drive there, and I've even seen them run across the interstate highways.
Oh my God!!!!! I just can't believe it!!! These are just the facts that you gave me and others reading this "thread" -- IT'S A REALITY! "Twin fawns". Just eating away at shrubs in the neighbors' front yard in the middle of the night!!!!! I freaked out this summer because of a bird's nest in our gutter on the house. As soon as one bird's eggs hatched, they would "lease the nest" to the next pregnant bird! What the heck would I do if I saw deer in my yard!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 PM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,403 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
The coastal islands have the biggest problems with Deer. Especially on Skidaway or Hilton Head. It is common to see herds of 7-8 grazing on your lawn any time of day in Sea Pines or The Landings.
Uh, uh, uh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 08:07 PM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,403 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Beasts? Do you mean the two legged or the four legged kind. LOL
I'm laughing too after you asked it that way! Very good sense of humor I detect coming from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,881,852 times
Reputation: 5171
Deer don't invade your house like mice. LOL. I've never heard of anyone waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom to see deer scurrying across the floor. Deer are mostly afraid of you and will run, or, if you coax them with food you MIGHT get one to come up to you if you're lucky. If you're one of those gals who screams murder over wildlife, you need to stick to condo living intown.

I'm not a fan of people who hunt for recreation, so this particular video of what a deer thought about a hunter still to this day brings a laugh to my face: Deer Gets Revenge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 AM
 
201 posts, read 1,027,403 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Deer don't invade your house like mice. LOL. I've never heard of anyone waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom to see deer scurrying across the floor. Deer are mostly afraid of you and will run, or, if you coax them with food you MIGHT get one to come up to you if you're lucky. If you're one of those gals who screams murder over wildlife, you need to stick to condo living intown.

I'm not a fan of people who hunt for recreation, so this particular video of what a deer thought about a hunter still to this day brings a laugh to my face: Deer Gets Revenge
I am all of the above -- scared of everything crawling, flying,creeping and scared to learn how to swim!!! I saw a mouse go into my neighbor's garage and freeked out!!! Yes -- I am "one of those gals" who screams muder over all of the above!!! Thank you for recommending that movie -- looks like a winner! I saw a clip of it when you sent the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,881,852 times
Reputation: 5171
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
I saw a mouse go into my neighbor's garage and freeked out!!! Yes -- I am "one of those gals" who screams muder over all of the above!.
You'd hate my sister. She'll handle snakes. My brother dated "one of those girls" once who literally would scream and hide from BIRDS. One day we were having a family gathering in a shelter in a state park and after this gal screamed for the 11th time of seeing something, my sister just gave her a full b*tch slap right across the back of the head and said, "Get OVER it woman! I'm going to slap you ever time you scream!!". Funny... she stopped screaming. Just hire someone to slap you each time you do it - you'll get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 AM
 
7,100 posts, read 25,069,388 times
Reputation: 7346
Racoons worry me more than deer. They will live very close to housing. In our area, they are frequently infected with rabies. They are so bold and will come up to porches looking for pet food and bird seeds. They just stand there and look as if they are daring you to make a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top