U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:36 AM

201 posts, read 1,027,721 times

Advertisements

I noticed a picture on a realtor website for Lawrenceville of deer in the backyard. The seller warned that sometimes deer come in the backyard. I admire the seller's honesty. I know that animals have a mind of their own, but is this a common problem or is it in just the wooded areas behind homes? Some people may like the scene of nature -- could be a good thing.

Last edited by janette moss; 07-14-2007 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: left a word out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 AM

247 posts, read 1,204,112 times
I lived in Grayson/Lawrenceville for 10 years and never saw a deer. I guess it depends on the area. I live in Helen and see deer all the time in my front yard, back yard, etc.. They will eat your shrubs, hedges; they stripped all of the green from my azealas.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:47 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,077,402 times
We live about a mile from the nearest woods. When they are in the roaming mood, they come at night and nibble. In my yard, Hydrangeas seem to be the favorite. They also like to nibble the daylily buds off.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:48 AM

726 posts, read 3,347,238 times
The coastal islands have the biggest problems with Deer. Especially on Skidaway or Hilton Head. It is common to see herds of 7-8 grazing on your lawn any time of day in Sea Pines or The Landings.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:07 PM

138 posts, read 568,095 times
I live on the Buford/Lawrenceville border and have for 9 years and I can't recall ever seen a deer around here.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
I live on the Buford/Lawrenceville border and have for 9 years and I can't recall ever seen a deer around here.
This particular home had a picture of 3 deer in the yard. It was a Lawrenceville home. The seller mentioned that their backyard faces a wooded area. I would mention the address, but I don't think that would be ethical, unless someone pulled up the same website with that picture on it. It showed the rooms and the last picture showed the deer.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
The coastal islands have the biggest problems with Deer. Especially on Skidaway or Hilton Head. It is common to see herds of 7-8 grazing on your lawn any time of day in Sea Pines or The Landings.
Oh my God! That's just me -- I am scared of mice!

Old 07-14-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
We live about a mile from the nearest woods. When they are in the roaming mood, they come at night and nibble. In my yard, Hydrangeas seem to be the favorite. They also like to nibble the daylily buds off.
Now that would make me angry to plant things and then the deer eat them! Do you plant the same plants every year, or do you "give them a variety"? We have a frontyard full of daylilys, and I would freek out to see deer munching on them every year (since they come up annually) How do you deal with the deer, or is it just part of the "outdoor scenery" or a way of "deer life"? You don't sound too stressed.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:53 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,077,402 times
If they came around every night, I might fret, but heck, the squirrels eat the blueberries and figs and raid the bird feeder, a bud or two off here and there is nothing!

I really am not into gardening, so we co-exist quite well. I keep hoping that I will get to see him/her. A little fawn was hit by a car following an adult one night coming into the yard. I almost cried when I saw it. We also have racoons and rabbits.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If they came around every night, I might fret, but heck, the squirrels eat the blueberries and figs and raid the bird feeder, a bud or two off here and there is nothing!

I really am not into gardening, so we co-exist quite well. I keep hoping that I will get to see him/her. A little fawn was hit by a car following an adult one night coming into the yard. I almost cried when I saw it. We also have racoons and rabbits.
Awwwwwwwwwww I feel you about the fawn getting hit. You feel deeply like I do. It's hard for me to watch the animal channel because you see how animals are cruel to their "enemy", killing them or piercing them with their teeth and shaking them until they die. You have quite an "animal kingdom", but it's good that you shake it off when they "eat of the forbidden fruit".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or