Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2006, 08:59 PM

29 posts, read 156,288 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are in the process of deciding whether or not to move to Atlanta from Orlando. If we move, my husband will be working in downtown Atlanta, so ideally, we'd like to live close enough to the city that he won't be on the road all the time. However, we also have kids, so a good school is a MUST(more important than an easy commute, really) and we'd prefer a decent sized home in a good community. Not too much to ask, right?

I'm considering the Duluth, Lilburn and Alpharetta regions - I don't think we'd want to go any furthur out than that. But really - we know NOTHING - and I'm curious as to what people in the know have to say.

Here's another question after reading this forum for a while: I keep reading about crime in Atlanta. How bad is it really? Worse than other metropolitan areas? I unfortunately have this idea that crime is everywhere, so I hadn't considered it in our decision making process. If it's much worse than Orlando, I'd like to know. That would definitely be a deal breaker for me - but I can't imagine it could be significantly worse. Am I being naive?

Thanks for any input you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 8,830 times
Default Southside Location

Hi kjjbuck:

Have you thought of looking into the southside of Atlanta for a home? The Peachtree City area is a unique planned community accessible by golf cart paths with affordable housing! The Fayette county school system is ranked one of the best in the state and the commute to downtown Atlanta is much easier than coming from the northside.

Just a few thoughts!

Old 08-14-2006, 09:53 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
Duluth and Alpharatta are very scale. There won't be any crime problem. In term of city of Atlanta, as long as you stay on the north side of city or PeachTree city on the south side, the crime is not a problem. Midtown, Buckhead have a lot of high priced condos (500+ to 1 millions).

Old 08-14-2006, 12:36 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,380 times
The commute from Alpharetta is a bear -- I'd avoid anything that involves driving down GA-400 during rush hour(s).

Old 08-14-2006, 06:08 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
crime is getting better in the city; I don't know about the schools though.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Georgia ranks second to last in terms of school test scores (SC being last) with a lot of those lower rankings coming from Atlanta schools. There are a few good ones in the burbs, but honestly, everyone I know has become so frustrated with the public school system most of them are now using private schools, or home schooling their kids. One or two use public but you're talking far burbs (big commute). If you can afford it, check around at the private sector.

Alpharetta binds you to using GA400 (road) as your way into Atlanta. You're talking about one of the most congested roads in the entire Southeast, during rush hours here (6-9am and 3-6:30pm). Think, "Disney world entry road, only much longer, on the busiest day of the year - every day".

I suppose I could go on my, "Will people stop moving to Atlanta, we have enough already!" rant as it sounds like you're set on it. Just forget the commute - move intown to Atlantic Station, Inman Park, or Virginia Highlands, and send the kids to the private school. You'll be in the middle of it all good and bad, but you won't have the long commute and you'll have public transit options.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,662 times
Smile Peachtree City or Fayetteville

My family and I recently moved down from Virginia and absolutely love this area. I am fortunate that I work in PTC. The Fayette county schools (Fayetteville and PTC) are excellent. The quality of life is also great. It is an incredible place if you have kids. Parks, lakes, incredible baseball and soccer facilities, BMX track, hiking, biking etc... The commute in and out of Atlanta is not bad at all. Everyone else is heading south into Atlanta. I can be at the airport or a Braves game in 30-40 minutes from Fayetteville. The cost of living is also very reasonable. We chose to live in Fayetteville- the schools are new and are the quality of a private school. You will not regret moving here!

Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 AM

113 posts, read 529,548 times
We have family in Newnan. I think it is really a beautiful area. It is very clean. They love it.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
Default Southside Atlanta

You really want to look at the southside of Atlanta and for schools Woodward
academy is great, Also try Brookhaven

Old 08-19-2006, 10:11 PM

29 posts, read 156,288 times
Thanks so much for all the info! You've totally redirected my efforts. I had wanted to move on the south side of Atlanta, but we kept getting advised to go North! I think the commute will get old for my husband. So I'm pushing Fayette County now.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia