Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:46 PM

26 posts, read 63,543 times

Advertisements

HI,
I will be going to GA from FL to look at land to eventually build on and retire in about a year.

These are the towns I am considering. If anyone knows anything about them, I would love it. Like, is it remote? Prices of land or housing? And anything about the city itself.

Helen -- White County
Cleveland -- White County
Sautee Nacoochee -- White County
Young Harris -- Towns County
Blue Ridge -- Towns County
Clarkesville -- Habersham County

I would like to narrow this list down a bit, if possible. I only want to spend a day or day 1/2 because then I'll be headed to TN to do the same thing. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:55 PM

26 posts, read 63,543 times
Default Driving from Cleveland, GA to TN

I forgot one thing. I did a mapquest from Cleveland GA to Sparta, TN and the map and directions say I'd be going on 64/74 through a National Forest. Whenever I see the color green on a map, I think it may be a scary drive. Does anyone know if it is?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 AM

58 posts, read 388,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiki View Post
I forgot one thing. I did a mapquest from Cleveland GA to Sparta, TN and the map and directions say I'd be going on 64/74 through a National Forest. Whenever I see the color green on a map, I think it may be a scary drive. Does anyone know if it is?
Scary? No way - but it is one of the most beautiful drives in the eastern U.S. - through Polk County, TN alongside the Ocoee River. Enjoy!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
Helen -- White County: Not remote (anymore) in my opinion; known for its German village downtown and gets a number of tourists. It's about 1 hour north of Atlanta. White County is a dry county, but I do believe that you can have alcohol in your own home; just no bars or anything like that. Located in at the base of the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains

Cleveland -- White County - nice little downtown; not very touristy; doesn't get a lot of transplants from Central Florida. Remoteness would be about the same as Helen. Located at the base of the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountaiins

Sautee Nacoochee -- White County - haven't been there.

Young Harris -- Towns County - located well into the Blue Ridge Mountains; more remote than Helen or Cleveland. Very pretty scenery. Not very likely to become part of Greator Atlanta.

Blue Ridge -- actually Fannin County; located on a pretty lake; nice little downtown. Lots of recent development there - prefered 2nd home destination for Atlantians. Also a lot of Floridan 2nd home owners there. The contraversy is whether Blue Ridge is getting over developed - locals are a little angry about all of the development up there and splitting property into small lots. Not quite as mountainous as Young Harris or Haiwassee.

Clarkesville -- Habersham County; Haven't been to Clarkesville, but have driven through Habersham Co. a number of times. It's in the foothills, but it's not very mountianous there. Much less activity there than in Helen, Blue ridge, and probably Cleveland.

FWIW, a day and a half will be just enough time to get a little flavor of only one of the areas you picked. This is a big area, unless you just intend to drive through. If you are looking at properties in any of these areas, frankly I'd pick one and do some serious looking, two at the very most. If you are looking to be in the Mountains, then (of the ones you've chosen) stick to Blue Ridge, and Young Harris. If you want remoteness, I'd look at Young Harris and maybe outside of Clarkesville. Some people like the look and feel of Helen - there's a pretty waterfall right outside of town there too. There's nothing real special about Cleveland, but it's a nice family oriented town.

Here's my favorite N. Georgtia towns, in the order of preference (and I am a native Central Floridian):

1. Clayton/Rabun Gap/Lake Burton
2. Hiawassee
3. Young Harris
4. Lookout Mountain
5. Blue Ridge

So that you know my personal bias, let me tell you my likes and disslikes on N. Georgia property: Must be in the mountains. Must be on more than 5 acres. Must be within 5 miles from a major river or decent sized lake, or both. I'd look for close by waterfalls, and hiking trails. I like a view, but, other than during winter, I don't want to look out any window and see my neighbors or even their house. I like being close enough to a small town where I can buy what I need without traveling 20+ miles. I like for that town to have some character. I don't want to be nestled in the middle of dumpy, rundown houses with junkyards in front of them. Price is governed by view, water Nat. Forest border, and size of property - you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Prichard; 07-16-2007 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 07:12 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Helen -- White County: Not remote (anymore) in my opinion; known for its German village downtown and gets a number of tourists. It's about 1 hour north of Atlanta. White County is a dry county, but I do believe that you can have alcohol in your own home; just no bars or anything like that. Located in at the base of the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains

Cleveland -- White County - nice little downtown; not very touristy; doesn't get a lot of transplants from Central Florida. Remoteness would be about the same as Helen. Located at the base of the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountaiins

Sautee Nacoochee -- White County - haven't been there.
It all depends on your definition of "remote" for White County. If you want to shop at at Wal-Mart, plan on driving 20 minutes or so to Habersham county. There are 4 grocery stores within the county.

White County is dry but Helen is not. 3 liquor stores, numerous restaurants with full bars.

Cleveland - I live in Cleveland and half of my neighbors are from Florida. Not very touristy except the for Babyland General, home of the Cabbage Patch dolls.

Sautee is the area between Cleveland and Helen, very beautiful valley area as well as view areas.

Clarkesville is an interesting town. You should check it out if you are in the area. Alot of shops and restaurants around the center of town. I always see alot of people walking around there.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 AM

24 posts, read 147,892 times
I live in central Florida and have a vacation home in Hiawassee and I think Prichard hit it on the head, even his listing of his 5 favorites.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
Quote:
Cleveland - I live in Cleveland and half of my neighbors are from Florida.
Yikes! I didn't know we had invaded Cleveland too. Well, I hope they're decent folks.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 38,073 times
Definitely Blue Ridge. Check out Travel and Real Estate Guide to the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains - Online Magazine and take time planning where you want to look. As someone just said you looking to cover a lot of space in a small amount of time.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,453 times
Default here's a perspective from someone based in Atlanta who has friends in all places you mention

Helen=tacky fake German town, crowded, touristy
Clarkesville=tiny town atmosphere but nice.
Sautee=definitely the most "high end," but close enough to Helen and Cleveland for basic services, about 15 minutes from Cornelia Wal-Mart. Great, sophisticated, liberal tiny arts town.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,453 times
another quick suggestion and bias of mine...you may want to take a look at Dahlonega, also. I made these suggestions b/c "reiki" was your handle. Happy hunting!

Last edited by carolmaria; 12-26-2007 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: added a town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia