Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:22 AM

8 posts, read 14,738 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt go by just what people say on here alone.I would recommend visiting the areas in Ga you are interested in an talking to the local realtors or city officials then make up your mind.Georgia is a great place to live,work and retire.From the mountains to the sea and in between Ga has it all.The weather is some of the best anywhere.If anybody has any questions feel free to ask if i can help you I will.Let me also recommend a place to check out in Georgia its called Thomson you will love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 AM

28 posts, read 79,850 times
Hello,
I'm trying to do research Atlanta as best as I could to figure out where would be the best place to stay/work. I may be asking for too much but until I get to know the city, I just want to work close to where I live. I want the neighborhood I live in to be quiet. And I would love to be close enough to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. so that I don't have to travel each time I need to leave out.
I was in Lithonia this weekend and I should be visiting again in September. I plan to do some sight-seeing next month. I know I cannot learn Atlanta in one weekend but I just want to ride around and see what's what.
I will be asking you a lot of questions. I hope you really don't mind because I am clueless about Atlanta. Thanks in advance for offering.

gemini678

Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiaboy View Post
I wouldnt go by just what people say on here alone.I would recommend visiting the areas in Ga you are interested in an talking to the local realtors or city officials then make up your mind.Georgia is a great place to live,work and retire.From the mountains to the sea and in between Ga has it all.The weather is some of the best anywhere.If anybody has any questions feel free to ask if i can help you I will.Let me also recommend a place to check out in Georgia its called Thomson you will love it.
------------------------

Georgiaboy is correct in that anyone who is about to make a life changing decision (relocation), should take the time to come to that area and rent a place first. Spend a week, two weeks, month - whatever it takes to get the "feel" for the community in question, to see if it lives up to what you're looking for. Sign a short-term lease, and if the area isn't what you wanted, you're only commited to a certain time frame (3-6 months) and can move on.

As far as the rest, it's really all relative. To say that Georgia has some of the best weather "anywhere" .. well, it depends on who you are. Some people think the Pacific Northwest has the best anywhere - some think it's Florida, and others may prefer the Arizona Dessert. There is no "best anywhere" as everyone is completely different as to what they consider good weather to be.

Talking to a realtor is tricky. They are of course, trying to make a commission on a sale, after all. Some however are very upfront and honest about a community - go with your instinct in order to figure out if they're an honest person or just a used car salesman type. Some police departments will share crime stat info, so if you're interested in a particular area or subdivision, some will inform you if that area has a problem if you call their nonemergency number and ask to speak to someone (not all are this willing to share info, but it's worth a try). As far as "talking to local officials" - well, I haven't met a local official anywhere yet that doesn't think their community is the best in the world, so, take those with a grain of salt.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,716 times
well, I`m not a realtor, but I do have my views.
I do ALOT of work in and around Atlanta, and recently there has been a HUGE flocking to the towns south of Atlanta (down I-75). I am most impressed with Monroe county because of its down to earth country living, with very reasonable access to the big city. Its great!

Old 10-20-2006, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 8,062 times
I agree come look around- we moved here 16 yrs ago to Roswell and Love this town- it is big enough to have everything you need but still has a small town feeling. We would not live anywhere else and yes we have looked every few years and still Roswell has it all. We have also been honored to be again named one of the best places to raise a family - I believe we are number three and awarded "Cycle Friendly". Come see for yourself what a great diverse city we have

Old 10-20-2006, 06:50 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
I also give thumb up for Roswell. I made an offer to a house there last year but was outbidded. It is in very convenient location if one wants to work in downtown or midtown.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:11 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I also give thumb up for Roswell. I made an offer to a house there last year but was outbidded. It is in very convenient location if one wants to work in downtown or midtown.
"It is very convenient..to work in downtown"?.....I guess everthing is relative.
I have lived in the area for over 13 yrs and wouldnt exactly call commuting from Roswell to midtown or downtown "convienient". Just ask people that commute in everyday like I did for about 10 of those years.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:37 PM

One can just take train in North Spring station, 35 mins to downtown, 20 mins to midtown station. Roswell has also very good school district. When I was working at Suntrust downtown, many co-workers live in Roswell, alpharatta area.

Last edited by jxu66; 10-20-2006 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-21-2006, 07:47 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
Beware: Atlanta Traffic Sucks!

Old 10-21-2006, 08:03 AM

Traffic here is pretty bad. Best is find a job that's close to work.

Like people joke here "start from your work, keep on driving on the highway and go to an exit you can afford. That's where you buy your home".

I live in Duluth and work in Duluth. Total commute to work 10 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia