Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
I was there at Christmas, when gosh by golly a whole 2" fell on the state. But, I see nothing has changed since I left there two years ago - they still can't cope with it.
Realistically when will the southeastern US have the resources to cope with snow and ice as well as regions/states that must deal with severe winter weather annually?

'NYC Overprepares for Snow'---at least one person was upset that 'too much' was done --certain others were equally as outraged over other issues---
http://www.ajc.com/business/nyc-overprepares-for-new-797709.html (broken link)

"They probably spent a small fortune getting prepared for nothing. For nothing!" said Richie Quinn, 53, a butcher who lives in Brooklyn. "Yet we were unprepared for the big boy."

And what about the mudslides, flooding in CA--it seems they have problems coping with that even though they occur frequently.

It has been pointed out many times that with all the trees in the southeast ice presents major problems in keeping roads open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
this is troubling, good thing Al Gore made that movie to warn us about things like this

Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,479 times
Be safe everyone. Looks like 6 inches of snow for ATL.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
We're still about 12 to 24 hours out, but The Weather Channel is forecasting 6" to 12" for the north Georgia mountains plus Athens and north metro Atlanta, 3" to 6" for south metro Atlanta, and 1" to 3" for all the fall line cities. AccuWeather is a bit more conservative, with 6" to 12" for the north Georgia mountains, 3" to 6" for Athens and metro Atlanta, and 1" to 3" for the fall line cities. Localized snowfall amounts could be heavier. Athens and Atlanta could see a changeover to sleet or freezing rain late in the storm while the fall line cities are most at risk for freezing rain. Regardless, this one is shaping up to be a doozy starting around sunset today!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,263 times
Just stay home and enjoy your family.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
this is troubling, good thing Al Gore made that movie to warn us about things like this
Cute! I'll remember this comment when we have another record hot summer later in the year

Global warming isn't about stopping the seasons or other weather processes. It is about the whole globe on average trending warmer, which can impact weather/environmental processes. (aka... there will still be seasons... some places get colder... some places get warmer... some places get drier... some places get wetter... some places get more transitional seasons...some less... etc..)

To everyone else on the forum... there will be snow... it might be 1" 3" or perhaps 6" or who knows...maybe more

...But either way we are definitely in for heavy amounts of a "mix." This means lots of wet rain, freezing rain, and sleet! Expect icy conditions on roads, pine trees, and electrical lines. Pine trees that have not been iced for several years and have grown weaker will be prone to breaking/falling. These are the real dangers and problem causers... not snow (snow is the fun stuff we play in )

So watch out for ice, downed trees, and prepare for a potential of losing power and not being able to get around for a couple of days!

Hope everyone has a safe, fun winter weather day!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,123 times
If power lines do go down where you are - please don't touch them and tell your children not to touch them or go near them , if they see them on the ground. The voltage going through them can severely injure or kill them in an instant.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Sounds like a lot of ice for the Columbus area.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
If power lines do go down where you are - please don't touch them and tell your children not to touch them or go near them , if they see them on the ground. The voltage going through them can severely injure or kill them in an instant.
Our local lines are underground here, but there are a lot of above-ground power lines outside of the subdivision.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Kennesaw State University cancelled school for tomorrow. School got called off before any actual precipitation fell on the ground. And so far, I am failing to see any on the ground. What is more concerning for me is not really myself. I don't have a car, so I can just walk anywhere I need to. However, there are no salt trucks or snow plows on the roads, so this spells major problems for traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia