Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times

Advertisements

Turned out they have a 'snow' day today.... So they have MLK day off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
The irony is that MLK Jr. would probably have had no problem with using this as a makeup day.
He's probably up there shaking his head in disgust at the race-baiters posting on here.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 PM

703 posts, read 934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Now that's Priceless!!

Gilmer and Fannin counties are beautiful God's country with wonderful people and I would Love to be able to live there myself.

You guys can't be serious, the race card gets thrown so often here that I am reminded of the boy that cried wolf.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Still, I take the Dr. King day of observance seriously. I think about the things he had to go through so that I could go to any college I wanted to go to, eat in any restaurant I want, vote, and do other things that were not afforded to African-Americans back in the old days. I still remember a conversation I had with a friend from a few years ago. I was at her dorm bedroom, sitting on her bed, with her on the bed as well. She also happens to be White. I had a hard day and needed someone to talk to. Later on that night we went out to eat. I was in the car with her and her friend, also a White woman. I commented that had it been over 50 years ago, I would have been killed. We had some dialogue about it and felt the same sentiments I did. We all knew that 50 years ago, I could have been killed for even being in the same bedroom with her. I thought about it because there are things that I do, that if I were to try them back in the 1950's, I would have been in deep trouble. Just the fact that I can do those things today is part of why I take King's legacy seriously, and I why I felt this day of observance should be respected.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 PM

152 posts, read 525,325 times
Gwinnett county- who wouldn't schedule school on MLK day- has scheduled one of their makeup days for President's Day...not surprising.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
Gwinnett county- who wouldn't schedule school on MLK day- has scheduled one of their makeup days for President's Day...not surprising.
Like I said earlier, why not just take some days from summer vacation?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
Exactly: God forbid you tinker with 'The Legacy'...but **** on Washington and Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia